Trip to Japan: summer 2023 (Honshu)

Next summer, my family and I are going to Japan for 3 weeks! :jp:
The trip of our lives I guess…
My 14yo son is has been learning Japanese for 3 years, it should help a bit.
Together with my wife and 12yo daughter, we’d like to discover the country (city/sea/nature), but also the culture and food :yum:

We’ll be in Tokyo around July 26th, and we’ll most likely stay on Honshu…
@HisMostDarxxxellent we got to meet!
Any other people living in Nihon?

I’d like to have some cooking lesson btw, that would be awesome.
And go to a concert, at least once.
Any advice on what we should absolutely see / where we should go / tricks to get things easier?

24 Likes

I don’t live in Japan, but have been visiting off and on since the early '90s.

That will help a lot. Most people in Japan have some degree of understanding of English, but they tend to use Japanese pronunciation and grammar. Being able to “hear” words in Katakana-English is very helpful. That said, English signage is common in the bigger cities and train stations. When you can’t find signs in English, Google Translate will usually do the job. Don’t forget to download the Japanese translation data if you don’t have international roaming.

It is also extremely normal for restaurants to have models of the food they serve in display windows and photos of dishes in menus. English menus are usually available if there aren’t already subtitles in the normal menu. It is easy to eat well with minimal Japanese language skill.

For a three week trip, I’d do something like:

• One week in Tokyo - plenty of shopping districts, temples & shrines and other historic sites to check out
  • One week in Kyoto - the previous capital of Japan with a high concentration of temples and shrines. Architecture is much more traditional than in Tokyo
  • Another city - could be Osaka or Kobe or someplace in the north

After you check in to your first hotel, your next mission is to find the nearest Lawson / 7-11 / Familymart. Check out the hot bar (often at or behind the counter) as well as the cold section. When you check out, the clerk will usually offer to microwave any items that are normally consumed hot. I usually have 2-3 fancy / expensive meals per week and the rest of my food comes from convenience stores and to-go meals from larger grocery stores. A salmon onigiri and hotel green tea makes a nice quick breakfast.

When eating, don’t stick your chop sticks in the rice and leave them standing. Doing so is a symbolic offering at funerals, so is weird and offputting at lunch.

Check out the vending machines, and try the various beverages. Pocari Sweat is a nice way to cool off in the summer.

Get a Japan Railpass before you leave for Japan - that will allow you unlimited use of all but the nozomi / express Shinkansens as well as the regional/commuter JR trains. JR Pass doesn’t cover subways, so you will need to buy tickets for those. Also, there are private subway lines in Tokyo that require their own tickets, so be mindful of that as you plan your local travel.

Politeness is important, and that generally means staying within your own sonic and physical space. Norms tend to be enforced by social pressure rather than law, so try to do things that you see other people doing, and try not to do things that you don’t see people doing. If you screw up and find yourself in a tense situation, apologize profusely and the situation will usually resolve itself in your favor.

Take lots of photos of beautiful things. Internal tourism has a long history in Japan, so act like the local tourists and you will fit right in.

At temples and shrines, pay particularly close attention to how Japanese people behave and do the same thing. Making an effort be respectful is the important thing here, no one will expect perfection.

Bring and use masks. COVID is far from over and mask usage in public is the expected norm in Japan and Asia generally. If everyone around you is wearing a mask, put one on yourself. If you run out, hotels will likely have a box of freebies and convenience stores and drugstores will sell small packages prominently.

Also bring your own tissues and re-use shopping bags as garbage bags. Public waste bins can be few and far between because people manage their own waste to keep Japan clean and beautiful.

There are extensive youtube videos about Japan. Prefer the “no talking” style, but don’t forget to turn on subtitles. They tend to have better information than the videos loudly narrated by American tourists. Two good starting points are Solo Travel Japan and Kuga’s Travel.

I have had very little time for shopping in Japan until recently. I visited a few different second hand camera shops back in early 2020. Each shop felt like a shrine or museum dedicated to the major Japanese and German brands. I’m glad that I’m done with film photography - the GAS would be difficult to resist otherwise.

I’ll be in Kyushu in late May / early June if anyone wants to meet up.

18 Likes

Congratulations! The trip of a lifetime!! There are no paper towels in Japanese restrooms, get some hankerchiefs or carry your own paper towels or other disposable hand drying utensil in your pocket with you at all times. The hotel may have them but many places will not. Get used to the idea of squat toilets, many toilets which are not in tourist locations are unlikely to be a standing or “sit down” toilet. Sorry for all the potty talk but it’s important. For the record I’ve never been to Japan so I think you’re incredibly fortunate to do this with your family while they are at an age not too old to dismiss it but not too young to be unable to appreciate! Show us all your photos when you can!

Also your son maybe knows but the Japanese word for 4 is Shi which is also close to the word for death, They often use the word Yon instead. Not always, it’s a listing number like how we would list points 1 polite, 2 clean, 3 reliable, 4 dependable. But people often use Yon for 4 because it’s polite, similar to the chopsticks in rice. Also soy sauce on rice is an insult to the chef apparently? Just to consider these things.

3 Likes

I’m happy for you. Have a great trip! It’s important to travel to jumpstart the tourism trade.

I may be wrong, but maybe @DimensionsTomorrow lives in Japan? Maybe he has some great insight!

If I’m wrong, sorry for bringing you up. I just think I remember that you’ve said that in other posts,(maybe)?

2 Likes

Almost the same with mandarin…except it’s “si”.

I found Japan delightful and was lucky enough to visit 3 times when we lived in China.
Had a sort of reverse culture shock after some years in the Middle Kingdom, like entering a parallel universe.

1 Like

Hi, I will be in Osaka for 2 months this summer with my family (half Japanese). If you do decide to visit Osaka or Kobe send me a message. There’s a lot of interested electronic music in the area I can suggest, or we can meet up for takoyaki/okonomiyaki some other regional speciality.

There is so much to do already in the Tokyo area, however much of it is the super clean efficient and sanitized version of Japan (imo). Osaka is great if you want to see a grittier Japan lol (still very safe and convenient).

We will likely go the the ghibli museum near Tokyo as we haven’t been there before. Otherwise I’d recommend the hakone outdoor museum, equally fun for kids and adults.

4 Likes

Some old Tokyo suggestions here:

1 Like

:heartpulse: :heartpulse: :heartpulse:

2 Likes

Awesome!

I live in Japan, but I’m down south on Okinawa. I’ll be in your timezone at least so if something comes up that might require some urgency you can message me.

I’ve been in Japan a little over a decade now and I like to think I’m decent at half-ass translation. Enough to get by! Or if something particular comes up or even just a question for simple things. I’d be happy to help.

3 Likes

Everyone here will have great advice I’m sure. I’ve got one bit of contrarian advice, after 19 trips:

DO NOT GIVE YOURSELF THE ABILITY TO USE THE INTERNET ON YOUR PHONE WHILE OUT AND ABOUT

I have found it far better to plan the next day’s details the night before using the WiFi provided by wherever you are staying. You can download maps or guides, make notes about train times, ticket windows, certain questions in Japanese, etc. I actually keep important info on a piece of paper to glance at.

Nothing will take you out of the moment more than being on your phone, surfing the internet while you’re in Japan.

…So that being said:

Week 1: Tokyo/Yokohama

• Don’t use a JR Pass - save that for the latter 2 weeks of your trip. Buy daily or 3-day all-you-can-use subway or Tokyo-only JR passes. All day subway passes are cheaper, but you don’t get to see the sights, as most JR trains are above ground but more ¥¥¥.
    Yes there are “stored value” passcards like SUICA and PASMO. I suppose if you’re in Tokyo for a week it could be fun to use what the locals use. Here’s the definitive guide:
    Tokyo One-Day Passes - For Train, Bus And Subway | Tokyo Cheapo

• I wouldn’t bother seeing anything old/traditional in Tokyo. That’s what the rest of your trip (esp. Kyoto) is for. Skip “Asakusa Kannon Temple” and that whole tourist trap.

• This would probably be the time to take cooking classes - as the kids are fine out and about in the city on their own - probably one of the only major world cities where that’s the case.

• A personal favorite in Tokyo is Harajuku/Omotesando. The spine of garish, over-the-top teen fashion is Takeshita Street, just north of the JR Harajuku station. The hub of classier, high fashion is Omotesando Street, just south of the station and extending far east into Aoyama where your Prada-type stuff is. Kind of linking the two areas is the meandering “Cat Street” and it’s various micro-alleys all around. It follows the original course of an old stream. In my opinion the coolest place on the planet. I was lucky enough to live there for 3 glorious years.

Week 2: Kyoto/Nara - and if you’re into matcha, a half-day down in Uji

• This is when you activate your 14-day JR Pass, the trip to Kyoto alone and back pays for it

• If you can avoid the city buses, do it. They’re packed to the gills with tourists. I like renting bicycles near Kyoto Station. On a non-bike afternoon, kimono rental is fun, too, find a cheap place that’s still close to a sightseeing/walkable area. My favorite spot is Philosophers Path. It’s a bit more subdued, maybe the kids can walk the shopping street at the north end while you and the Mrs. take a stroll along the charming canal.

• Once you activate your JR Pass, if you do feel like going north of Tokyo before going southwest to Kyoto, you could check out Kakunodate samurai town and Nyuto Onsen.

Week 3: Travelling southwest of Kyoto with maybe 2 stops

• 2 nights at a hot spring town like Arima would be nice, there are many

• If you really squeeze the value out of your Rail Pass, you can go all the way to Hiroshima and spend maybe 2 nights there…because 40 mins away by bullet train is my secret spot for a day trip: Onomichi. It’s great for ferry rides, bike rides between islands, a cable car to the top of a hill overlooking the ocean, super picturesque and subdued. It’s like a 3D postcard of mid-century Japan.

1 final full day in Tokyo to go back somewhere you missed or buy your gifts

TIPS FOR FOOD:
I actually love Japanese business hotels like Dormy Inn which provide a buffet breakfast that has both Japanese and Western goodies. In fact, many hotels have great breakfast buffets and sometimes I actually stay somewhere quite cheap and go eat breakfast at a fancier place (the Four Seasons Kyoto’s breakfast buffet will blow your mind). Major department stores have basement levels full of AMAZING and delicious foods to go that you can take to a park (Make sure there’s a park nearby, don’t eat on the street, nobody does that). Honestly, department store basement food courts are gems. So much variety and always TOP quality.
The chain restaurant Ootoya (dark blue with white text) is tasty affordable Japanese meals with English menus and they won’t break the bank.

BE POLITE, BE GRACIOUS, HAVE FUN

13 Likes

First things first, get a SUICA pass. You can use it on all lines except the bullet train and you’ll have a much easier getting around.

Places of interest

えちごやミュージック ECHIGOYA Music
+81 3-3464-0905
https://maps.app.goo.gl/R3YHxF7RjqgFFrLN8

Five G Music Technology
+81 3-3746-0861
https://maps.app.goo.gl/58WrCFLyesNkmVpw7

Coconuts Disk Ikebukuro
+81 3-3985-0463
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ikf6u1UbB3T5LoMn7

Manhattan Records
+81 3-3477-7166
https://maps.app.goo.gl/eVxjRtfKGjvX5C9H6

*There more records shops right behind this shop and Shibuya HMV is right across the street

Cat St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qGRfLj46EqtoLsks8

Shibuya Parco
+81 3-3464-5111
https://maps.app.goo.gl/EpkdwXiVZuCEvGvH8

*Some pretty good restaurants on the bottom floors

Kin den maru
+81 3-6909-2581
https://maps.app.goo.gl/gUcLkWhJfJN7V3kr8

*Favorite ramen shop in Shibuya

The National Art Center, Tokyo
+81 3-5777-8600
https://maps.google.com/?cid=4622367683473218840&entry=gps

Yayoi Kusama Museum
https://maps.app.goo.gl/65M1A9BzUv7yAJZp7

Nanzuka
+81 3-5422-3877
https://maps.app.goo.gl/KJqB6Syq6ktJVYR27

NANZUKA 2G
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CqLtDaVmh1GppHZXA

BLOCK HOUSE
+81 3-6318-2003
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HnhYsK31f1chHmtRA

CALM & PUNK GALLERY TOKYO
+81 3-5775-0825
https://maps.app.goo.gl/cm7JnMPw1FFTzY8J7

FUJI ROCK FESTIVAL 2023
July 28-30, 2023
Niigata, Japan

• One of the bigger summer festivals

Ashikaga Flower Park
+81 284-91-4939
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4J4hb7HLzMsuaEiU9

5 Likes

Yep. I’ve been in Japan for more than 20 years.

A good friend of mine that lives in Berlin now, but that was here in Tokyo for many years recently sent me these. I’ve been meaning to check some of these places out.

If you aren’t vegetarian, then maybe check out Freeman Shokudo for a sandwich one afternoon. The owner moved to Tokyo from NYC a few years back. He ran a famous reggae/dub record shop in New York’s Chinatown called Deadly Dragon Sound. Someone here on Elektronauts gave me the heads up about that place.

Other smaller fun areas in Tokyo are Shimokitazawa (home to Jazzy Sport), Koenji, and Kichijoji. They sort of have a New York Lower East side or Brooklyn vibe (I lived in NYC before I moved to Japan).

If you are at all interested in guitars or guitar pedals, Ochanomizu is probably the best area in the world for that. Lots of shops on one street.

There used to be official Elektron events here from time to time hosted by Simon Krusell, who may still be on this board.

3 Likes

+1 for: Shimokitazawa, Suica or regional equivalent (I have a Kitaca with great flying squirrel graphic), Osaka and especially Nara, Kyoto by bike (though the buses are fine if you avoid the 100 tourist loop, the metro doesn’t cover enough of the city). Hiroshima is deeply affecting, and the Kobe earthquake museum is quite interesting. Kiyomizudera first thing in the morning (like really early, before the crowds arrive), and the Daitoku-ji complex. Take the little tram out to Arashiyama and walk through the bamboo forest. Depachika food halls. 300ml bottles of nama (fresh) sake (kept refrigerated, drink immediately). Sushi in humble little backstreet places where everyone but you is a regular (do your research on Tabelog, the most honest and critical food site I know of).

4 Likes

I recommend Pupuru for rental Wi-Fi. I’ve been using them for twelve years whenever I go to Japan. Hopefully their airport pickup counter is up and running by July.

July is probably the most miserable weather-wise in terms of humidity. Be prepared.

In terms of things that hold kids interest, Miraikan (future museum) in Odaiba is great. Same with Tokyo Edo Museum in Ryogoku.

Also please ignore the people who say “avoid saying ‘shi’ because it’s a homophone for ‘death’”. I used to live there. I have family and friends there. I’ve been there every year for last 12 years and you will never run into a Japanese person who thinks you committed some faux pax by ‘shi’ instead of ‘yon’.

Eichigoya Music is a little synth shop in Shibuya. All vintage and used.

Have a good trip. We’ll be there in June/July.

Also not sure about Android but when I went last year, my iPhone was like “do you want to add Pasmo to your wallet?” I did and just charged that through another card on my wallet. It’s the same as Suica. It’s super easy for trains and buses. And in most convenience stores you can pay with it.

Carry lots of yen on you. ATMs are not always available 24/7 at big banks. And some convenience store ATMs don’t like foreign cards. Last year I had to spot a Spanish traveler $60 because he ran up a bar tab on his first night in town and then couldn’t pay when no local ATMs accepted his card. I’m a nice guy like that.

3 Likes

Agreed. The one thing people will care about is take off your shoes when going into places that require taking off your shoes (like in old Japanese inns, etc). That’s one people won’t overlook and will freak out about. This even goes for trying on clothes in most dressing rooms.

One faux paux you might want to avoid to be nice is leaving your chop sticks standing up in rice or passing food back and forth with chop sticks. That’s just because it’s reserved for funeral ceremonies where you pass the deceased’s bones from person to person and then the chop sticks are left in the ashes. Nobody will expect visitors to know that one necessarily, but it’s something ordinary people do actually find offensive, so it’s nice to avoid doing if you can. Nobody will say anything but they might wince.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the input!
Don’t hesitate to keep on doing this!

@InternalVoice we should be in Osaka around Aug. 5th and 6th, it would be cool to meet :slight_smile:
We also intend to visit Studio Ghibli, maybe we could synchronize, especially if you have a 12yo daughter :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t know, August can be pretty miserable too :rofl:

I’ve lived in Kyushu for a few years now and have travelled all over the island, then some up through Honshu. Lots of good tips written here so far. Not much to add other than June/July are the rainy season, August is just hot and humid. I’m not sure how frugal you are but don’t hesitate to use every convenient store or vending machine you see to grab a cold drink. Especially if you’re planning on doing a lot of walking! :hot_face: I’ve gotten most exhausted in Kyoto seeing the sites because it gets so hot there and places like Fushimi Inari and Kinkakuji can be packed with people.

On the faux paux stuff, people also take lining up here VERY serious. Try not to cut on accident, people get heated about that one.

The school break here runs from mid July - August. So expect more people out and about. Plus with the country having opened up, I’d guess the touristy hot spots will be busy once again. Lastly, I think Kyushu is the best to visit…I’m not biased though :upside_down_face:

1 Like

And jay walking for the most part. Wait for the light to turn green before walking. Very different than say NY. Cars and buses aren’t used to people jay walking so that could actually be deadly.

3 Likes

The convenience stores sell those gatsby ice-type body wipes to deal with body sweat

https://images.app.goo.gl/3LimF6ogeNzbUzev6

and use a women’s deodorant to deal with underarm sweat. Dress light and hydrate often if you plan on walking alot.

1 Like

Good to know.
In France and UK it’s widely accepted that if there is no car incoming, it’s OK to cross, to the point that only children don’t jaywalk… I became aware of this first time I jaywalked a German street, which immediately gave me away as a French :sweat_smile:

2 Likes