Trip to Japan: summer 2023 (Honshu)

Oh thanks dear :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right?? 100V, 50Hz in Tokyo, 60Hz in other parts…

I have a MAM MB33, it’s AC power, and the power supply is 220V only… Investigating…

Type B it is, isn’t it?

1 Like

A and B as far as I know.

Edit: same as US it seems, but US is 120V, Japan is 100V, and as said, some parts of the country 50Hz, some others 60Hz.

My main question is, will my power strip with USB sockets be fine with an adapter to plugs A or B… I’m an ass with power subjects.

4 Likes

Check the labels on the power strip, if any. My default assumption is that power strips are engineered for the local power supply and nothing else.

If it was just a power strip and nothing more, it SHOULD be OK with reduced voltage and may be OK in 60hz regions of Japan and fine in 50hz region. (Google for “Japan 50hz 60hz map”, but I couldn’t find one that seemed suitable for embedding here).

On the USB side, expecting 220v but getting 100v might be bad unless it is just a generic universal voltage USB module hard wired to the mains.

If your power strip is also a surge suppressor, it probably won’t do anything in Japan since it will be looking for spikes above 220v and the normal voltage is 100v.

1 Like