Trying to recreate a sound from my Virus

I’m trying to recreate this synth sound on the DN that I made on my Virus C. I’m having a surprisingly hard time getting it to sound percussive and have the same tone. I know I probably can’t get something exactly the same, but I’d love something that’s similar enough.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Help us (and yourself) out by describing how the Virus patch is constructed.

2 Likes

That would really help, I’ve been going through a lot of pluck sounds last half hour but I can’t get close enough to this.
It sounds like there’s some kind of distortion on it, but the Digitone won’t let me drive it that hard.

1 Like

@PeterHanes and @DreamXcape I’ll get on that this afternoon when I get home.

@DreamXcape I spent a bunch of time trying stuff out, too. I came up with some things that were slightly similar but def. didn’t have the same amount of thunk to it.

Exactly that, I came across a lot of nice settings but I can’t seem to get that sort of acid 303-like filter sound right.

Exactly! I tried the age old quick pitch ramp LFO for some thunk and that didn’t really work. I’ll check the Virus settings when I get home and post them up.

@PeterHanes @DreamXcape

Virus C - A54 - TeLKait.syx (267 Bytes)

So if anyone has a Virus, here’s the patch. You’d need to turn down the reverb. Not sure why it was in there.

I downloaded the Mystery Islands Virus Patch Editor, too, and got screenshots of the settings.

These are my settings:

OscVol 0 - no saturation
Sub osc none
Osc1: Saw Wave

Osc2: Saw Wave. Detune 32

Osc Balance: +22 in favor of Osc2 (bipolar control)

Filter Routing and balance: Serial4. Balance equal

Filter1:
Lowpass
Cutoff 0
Resonance 0
Envelope 0

Filter2:
Highpass -20
Resonance 0
Envelope 0

ADSR: A 0 | D 127 | S 127 | R 4

FX
Analog Boost: 40
No distortion, phaser, chorus.

LFO:
LFO 1 - Filter 1 Cutoff +63, Saw Wave. Rate 3/16 (synced). Mono mode
LFO 2 - Filter 1 Cutoff +26. Sine wave. Rate 39 (not synced). Poly mode

I’m on the case… :male_detective:

1 Like

Awesome. There’s a prize in it for ya if you win. Haha. Now that I’ve broken the virus patch down, I’m gonna try my hand at it, as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I give up for today… :sleepy:

But I can tell you I came closest by using layer and 2 tracks so you can actually have 2 saw waves and detune one.
1 LFO each routed to pitch, exp, one shot, mult 8, speed 63.99, depth 1.0, to get that attack sound sorta kinda right-ish. :thinking: :exploding_head: :confused:

1 Like

Oh damn. I’ll have to check that out. Unfortunately, for this purpose, I need all 4 individual tracks, but knowing it is definitely going to help. It makes sense that it’d need two tracks, though. I really appreciate you trying this out. I’m done studioing for the night, but I’ll be playing with those settings tomorrow. You rock!

1 Like

I don’t have my Digitone in front of me and haven’t really tried making a patch like this on it, but maybe you could use an algo that has A>C parallel to B>B, set the feed on B to zero and change it to a saw wave, then use A fed into C 1:1 to create a saw there, then use ratio offset on B to detune it? It won’t be perfect but it might be close. I also don’t really remember how DN’s detune works, maybe that would work too but I feel like offset might give you finer control? Idk I usually feel these things out. Also maybe look up the gain staging of the Digitone and see how you could drive the filter a bit hotter?

1 Like

This seems to sound like a plucked string instrument.

I would not use FM for this in the first place, but try to have one of the waveshapes of a operator as close as possible to a saw for the basic sound. Then I would work with envelope and filter like in the average subtractive synthesis. Using FM later can give it more expressiveness, but I would start with a patch as simple as possible and go from there …

1 Like

I figure I can’t get the exact sound, but I don’t want to cart my virus around. Haha

1 Like