Turntable recommendation

I think if you don‘t travel you could consider a new mk7

Technics 1200. Mine have been turning the records flawlessly since 1997 and I expect they’ll continue for many years into the future.

1 Like

And do you all use standard needles or special stuff?

Buy a Technics 1200: this is the only possible answer
Or better: buy two

1 Like

For sampling and listening purposes, a super OEM or 1200 turntable is not a bad option, but more than likely overkill. An Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB or similar will more than suffice.

Also, do not let the 1200 zealots fool you into believing it is the only viable turntable available. I owned a set of 1200s for over 20 years, and sold them when I purchase a pair of Stanton ST.150 MK1s. Not a day of regret.

1 Like

Also 1210s are bit cheaper and just as good

1 Like

I am planning to purchase a pair of Audio-Technica AT-LP1240-USBXP turntables later this year to customize them. It should be a fun project.

2 Likes

What are your plans for customization?

1 Like

I am not settled on a full design yet. However, I want my logo added and the base color changed to a dark red. More than likely I will pay a guy who customized a friend’s set of 1200’s, and not perform the work myself. He did awesome job, and provided my friend with different idea concepts.

1 Like

I got one of these a few years back and replaced the cartridge with a Shure M97XE. It’s a solid turntable and sounds great. I think it might even have a 78 setting.

However, I strongly suggest pairing it with a receiver that has its own phono preamp, or using a separate preamp, rather than the internal one in the AT.

I’m no audiophile, but the phono preamp on my hi-fi sounds much better than the AT’s, and it’s just some random Kenwood receiver I inherited from my first office job, nothing special. When I pull samples from it, I do it from the “Tape” output of my receiver rather than direct from the RCAs.

This might not apply to the USB output; I keep meaning to but I’ve never used it.

3 Likes

Wow, I was just looking at getting a turntable and after doing some quick research, who knew there was so much to getting a record player these days! Been 40 years since my last one.

Technics all the way. My 1210 mk2s were bought in 97…still working.