Turntable recommendation

Hey,
Can anyone recomend a good turntable which can play at 33 and 45. I have an Hifi Turntable but I am thinking of getting one for sampling duties as well as to listening to music in one.

I just picked up one of these for the same uses. It’s pretty nice and comes with everything required to get up and running.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATLP1240USBXP--audio-technica-at-lp1240-usbxp-direct-drive-professional-dj-turntable

6 Likes

I have a 1240 as well and enjoy it. I haven’t even switched from the included cartridge to the Nice Grado I bought when I had a 1200 on loan.

There are a handful of other “SuperOEM” tables that are in the same family as this, a bit of digging should explain the differences among them.

1 Like

I don’t know shit about turntables, so thanks for validating my choice :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

There are people who will claim that the only table worth any money is a 1200. While it is true that the 1200 usually exceeds most other direct drive tables in terms of specs, the 1240 we have seems more than good enough. If a 1200 G-Wagen, the 1240 is something like a 4Runner.

For people outfitting a retro club that still expects DJs to spin vinyl, or ripping rare records, it may be worth the cost/effort to hunt down a good 1200. For people getting creative with wax, +/- 50% is extremely nice, and the built in preamp and USB interface are good enough until you decide to upgrade to a discrete preamp and separate audio interface.

A good friend swears by the Reloop RP8000 (or possibly another brand but the same SuperOEM guts with Serato buttons). The top range direct drive tables from Reloop, Pioneer and AT are among the SuperOEMs available in the USA: minor differences that allow you to pick based on the features that matter to you and your budget.

5 Likes

I had a Reloop 20 Years ago, sadly it was so shitty that I can‘t go back to reloop again.

Still thinking about a 1200 bout maybe its overkill. The new one they brought out they say its good but still plastici.

Audio Technica is on the List, but somehow a little to expensive and to close to a used Technics.

I am still wondering that there ate so little alternatives even with the ongoing vinyl boom over the last years.

Panasonic’s patents for the 1200 mechanism expired. Hanpin then started to build their own mechanism for OEM designs - designs they built but carry the Pioneer / Reloop / AT / etc. logo.

Meanwhile, professional DJs have long since switched to CDJ style decks. There isn’t much demand to support multiple manufacturers, so you get to choose between low end designs cobbled together from random parts or one of the Hanpin SuperOEM tables.

1 Like

i’ll be the one to say it. technic 1200 mk2 (or other technic 1200s or 1210s)
especially if you don’t want to come back here looking for another turntable.

of course it also depends on your current listening/sampling set up.

6 Likes

Thanks, I’m glad I didn’t have to be the one… but, you’re right, if one wants a turntable to keep, SL1200 is the way to go

3 Likes

Mk2 would still be the way to go? And the Reissus are not that well build?

My current Setup is a Decent Pro-Ject Player with Ortofon Red. Its ok for listening but chaning speed is a hassle and also sampling on it isn‘t really possible because you are not really quick with the needle.

The new one is supposed to be connected to the stereo and the machine plus.
Mixing and DJ stuff is not on the primary here. I never did those very well :wink:

I have my 1200 in use for almost 30 years now. Even the lamp shining on the record is still the same. I can’t recommend anything specific, but didn’t read to good things about Audio Technica’s mechanical design. But either a well serviced Technics 1200/1210 MKII or something similarly heavy and rugged would be my choice today.

Edit: Nobody needs ridiculous pitch ranges, by the way. You have sampler for that, do you?

2 Likes

What is wrong with your current hifi turntable? With a good headshell/stylus and pre amp there’s nothing that can hold you from sampling. If the speed is withing precise range you now exactly how the bpm is after sampling. Perhaps you can add a slip mat and a dj style stylus that can handle more tracking force as well as backspins.
Appropriate dj turntables are more robust, faster start and stop, less resonating feedback with a loud PA and have pitch control. Nice to use in a mixing setup but for sampling not exactly necessary. Nice to have though.

3 Likes

Im not sure about the reissues, havent put my hands on them. My mk2s have been going for damn near 20 years. My 1210m3ds have had some issues over time but it just requires tune ups every now and then.

You can check all the versions here Technics SL-1200 - Wikipedia

I would probably say if you’re mostly sampling and listening there are some more options out there besides the technics.

Of course there’s always gonna be this guy telling you you’re not listening to your records correctly :sob: https://youtu.be/4b2IOOhJmxw

1 Like

I bought a used SL1200 few years ago and I confirm I never feel the need to resell it or upgrade it.
Just play with differents cartridges for differents flavors.
Also the SL1200 need a phono preamp. I got Art DJ-Pre II and it’s looks fine for sampling.

Those Hifi ones are just not Made for qickly turning on of with their belt drive, their anti skating and weight for the arm is pretty delicate, so you have to be slow and careful. No way if you are qickly searching spots on the records. Backspinng is also not advised with those arms and needles.

And yes several samplers are here, but I think I use it mainly with machine.
If I really go with a good technics I am pretty torn between mk2 and the mk7 even if the build isn‘t that robust as the old one. Because it would not be moved for DJ Duties. It would have it‘s place.

1 Like

Just checked the prices for a used 1200 MKII, you can find one in nice condition for around 500-600€ whereas later iterations call ridiculously for up to 2000€. Shocking!

Agree and i’n the laat one to not embrace a SL1200 like turntable but it’s not that it ain’t possible with a delicate turnttable. Especially if you take the current sample memory of modern samplers in account… Just sample a minute and trim afterwards intead of backspinning. In the SP1200/MPC early days the start/stop had to be spot on otherwise you sampled the wrong piece and had to start over again. Todays samplers don’t have that limitation. Besides that my wife doesn’t turn of and on easily too and is quite delicate but doesn’t harm to get rough once and a while (blinking eye emoji)

Anyone owns an AT-LP120XUSB?

My 20 year-old Numark TT200 is getting old, can’t read longer than an album nowadays… I think a capacitor is getting breathless.
I could go for the audiophile kind, but I know my people: I need solid.
I dislike belt drive, don’t care if it’s the bees knees: direct drive is pretty cool, I enjoy an easy speed change and need reverse play (I own Pullhair Rubeye LP). Wouldn’t mind an anti-dust cover as well. And, of course, a decent sound.
I don’t really need amplification, I own a (20 year-old too) Vestax PMC05PRO3 that despite the noise still works.
I’m ready to throw it 400€ tops.

My 1210s are probably the best quality item I’ve ever bought. Owned for close to 30 years and still run solid and never had any issues.

Have used the reloops and thought they were good value for the money

I use an RP7000MK2, it’s a super OEM but the wow/flutter isn’t great on it (at least on mine). I don’t hear it but it’s awful close to the point where I probably could.

I really like to be able to control the speed of the record even though I don’t DJ - it seemed like by far the best bang for the buck. Even used SL1200’s are very expensive where I live and the ones on ebay looked like they’d been abused by neds, the internet wisdom about them being affordable is a fantasy in my experience (maybe just outdated?) - but if you can get a good one for a good price I think that’s always the best buy.

2 Likes