Twisted Electrons Blastbeats

wiggle

2 Likes

BlastBeats specs:

• OPL3 (YMF262) FM chip featured in vintage sound blaster cards of the MS-DOS era

• Quad audio outputs with custom instrument routing

• High fidelity audio amplification with low noise floor

• mix and phones out each with volume control

• 6 drum tracks (bass drum, snare drum, tom, closed & open hat, cymbal) that can also be used for melodic parts.

• 4 synth tracks: two monophonic (2x2op or 1x4op) & two duo-phonic (4x2op or 2x4op)

• 100 kits

• 160 songs x 16 patterns x 64 steps

• patterns of of arbitrary step lengths

• Kits and patterns stored on included SD card for convenient management and sharing.

• 56 faders with per step automation and modulation

• 32 high quality illuminated switches

• MIDI input and output on DIN5 ports

• customisable MIDI input channels

• Analog sync in and out on 3.5mm jacks

• All Audio on 6.35mm jacks

• Premium sandblasted anodised aluminum chassis

• All instruments can be sequenced internally or played via MIDI allowing BlastBeats to be used as a 4-operator 8-waveform polytimbral MIDI synthesizer

• Probability per instrument

• Swing

• Kit and pattern randomiser

• Fader wiggling (randomiser with adjustable depth) per step

• 3 tricks ( pitch bend aka spin down, freeze and stutter with step sequencing of all tricks.

• Synth pitch vibrato and tremolo with adjustable speed and depth

• Several waveforms and algorithms yielding infinite sound textures.

8 Likes

really strange sound hearing it in those demos from Limbic and the Soundcloud preview on the product page. instantly getting that sorta early 90s vibe… with a really wide range of options available for play and recording fun. doesn’t seem too complex even without a screen, but there’s a good bit of room to tweak and experiment.

doubt it’s for me, but i’m sure plenty of people will get some really unique music out of this thing. and it’s a really good price for a groovebox with those kinds of options no matter how you cut it.

1 Like

It ticks a lot of boxes, especially for fm suckers.

the sound, the sequencer, the simple menus, the lack of screens, the hands on control, effects , the amps and being a grovebox.

1 Like

I preordered from the first batch.

2 Likes

Yeah, looks really cool! Btw, there’s only one set of faders for toms, hats and cymbals - what’s the deal there? Not enough space on the front panel? Hope there’s a catch mode/pickup mode for the faders when switching voices…

Sounds great, I like a lot of the simple yet character-rich sounds that these chips produce. Looks like a bit of a learning curve with some of the shortcuts, like setting the bpm by holding shift and then typing in the numbers using the track keys.

Setting bpm by typing in numbers is a pretty cool solution actually! Who needs a display?
Easy to target a specific tempo, not so easy to slow down/increase the tempo…hmm…everything has its down sides, I guess^^

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see how per-step modulation feels with no screen. Classically this has been done with a full-screen tracker that lets you see all the mods on a grid, or a way to visualize “locks” per-step a la :3lektron:. Having neither seems like it’d be… frustrating. But maybe the benefit of all those hands-on controls outweigh it?

Or maybe per-step modulation isn’t as big a deal in practice because this OPL3 is no longer your only sound generator? It’s now just one piece of kit in the stack or one take on the multitrack. Squeezing 3 instruments into one part no longer nets us anything but purity points. So the per-step mods are likely to be less “switch to a different instrument” and more “make this tweak to the op mod.”

Yeah, I’d probaply use it mostly for modulation, timbral changes, sound design etc. and not trying to get the most out of a limited engine.

1 Like

Ever since I sold my Akemie’s Castle I’ve missed that sound, so this looks very interesting … the range of sound out of it with all the different voices is impressive.

3 Likes

do they charge you immediately or upon shipping?

I paid with PayPal and it was charged right away.

1 Like

Ordered,

£533, I’m happy.

1 Like

I wish more people made funky music with this kind of esthetic, this beat machine seems perfect for deep funk beats…

2 Likes

I think with some processing which it clearly encourages this would be a dream machine, super fun interface and gadget heaven aesthetic, sounds cool. Hmm I want one.

2 Likes

Looks rad! Twisted electrons rules, I love my Acid8. Everything they make looks awesome and I’m a sucker for drum synths so this is a no brainer.

1 Like

https://www.twisted-electrons1.com/blastbeats?ref=limbicBLASTBEAT principale

600$

FEATURE

• OPL3 (YMF262) FM chip featured in vintage sound blaster cards of the MS-DOS era
  • Quad audio outputs with custom instrument routing
  • High fidelity audio amplification with low noise floor
  • mix and phones out each with volume control
  • 6 drum tracks (bass drum, snare drum, tom, closed & open hat, cymbal) that can also be used for melodic parts.
  • 4 synth tracks: two monophonic (2x2op or 1x4op) & two duo-phonic (4x2op or 2x4op)
  • 100 kits
  • 160 songs x 16 patterns x 64 steps
  • patterns of of arbitrary step lengths
  • Kits and patterns stored on included SD card for convenient management and sharing.
  • 56 faders with per step automation and modulation
  • 32 high quality illuminated switches
  • MIDI input and output on DIN5 ports
  • customisable MIDI input channels
  • Analog sync in and out on 3.5mm jacks
  • All Audio on 6.35mm jacks
  • Premium sandblasted anodised aluminum chassis
  • All instruments can be sequenced internally or played via MIDI allowing BlastBeats to be used as a 4-operator 8-waveform polytimbral MIDI synthesizer
  • Probability per instrument
  • Swing
  • Kit and pattern randomiser
  • Fader wiggling (randomiser with adjustable depth) per step
  • 3 tricks ( pitch bend aka spin down, freeze and stutter with step sequencing of all tricks.
  • Synth pitch vibrato and tremolo with adjustable speed and depth
  • Several waveforms and algorithms yielding infinite sound textures.
  • Dimensions: 29.5cm x 16.5cm x 4.5cm (11.6" x 6.5" x 1.8")
  • Weight 944 g ( 2 lb)
4 Likes

I’m enamored with the design aesthetic. Want to touch those buttons and sliders all day. If I only had money…

Guess I’ll settle for exploring adlibtracker as I am now 100% itb and 100% not buying hardware. Renoise and an ever rotating cast of vst’s helps me avoid expensive decisions like this and redirect my gas :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Same. For hands on sound design I’ve got my modular, but dang this thing sounds great and excellently accessible(thank goodness I’m done with groovebox purchases)

1 Like