Twisted Electrons Blastbeats

For sure, I know it’s not the exact same same analogy. For me it’s not just what is inside, or how cheap a component is, but the package as a whole. Does it inspire me to play it? I like the sound of the Yamaha PSS, but I probably won’t be picking one up no matter how cheap. Now the Blast Beats on the other hand, speaks to me with its size, sequencer, and package as a whole. There are some cool tricks in it, the interface looks fun, and I also love a good groovebox.

3 Likes

I get that there are cheap as chips fm synths out there , maybe make a new thread for cheap fm and keep this more focused on blast beats, what it offers , demos , general discussions and eventually reviews and peoples opinions.

4 Likes

All this talk about chips is making me hungry.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Greater control and a smaller package.

@Norb over the years I collected lots of Yamaha PSS keyboards from car boot sales I have a shed full of them, I’m reading this thread in disbelief that your telling folk to get one and it will fill the gap of a blastbeats.

2 Likes

It looks like the delivery date has been delayed on Thomann (sadness)

Has anybody received theirs?

A first batch was due in February IIRC.

Their website had said first batch hopefully shipping February, second march/ April. Kind of a soft timeline. I hope they don’t experience too many delays, I put in my preorder about a week ago and I’m excited. Im not usually the preordering type, or even the buying new type.
They also released a new workflow/ guide video yesterday on their YouTube channel. Looks fast and easy.

2 Likes

Yes, I watched that!
I’m quite excited as well.
The extra sound snippets this video contains sound more exciting than the demo video that was posted some time ago.
They also mention a few extra features, like the possibility to change kit per step in a pattern (if I understood right) and record kit changes in real time.

1 Like

I received the following email from them last Friday

Dear xxxxx

I hope you are well,

I’m very sorry to have to delay BlastBeats once more,

I requested a small change to the enclosures to make them perfect.

The factory has advised delivery within 2-3 weeks.

In the meantime we have added more features to the firmware:

-per step automation of kit changes, this is a big one as it allows to completely change the sound of each step.

-Undo/redo - a fun and powerful remixing feature, and red light syndrome helper.

-Added a second track to synth 3 allowing to sequence chords and stabs

-more ways to preview and edit synth parts

A number of new features have been added so I have updated the walkthrough video to include them.

You can view it here:

I’m very grateful for your trust and patience, and sorry again to keep you waiting.

I will continue to push the factory to avoid any further delays.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

12 Likes

Yes I had the same take and understanding on all points. Great added features and the tiny snippets of sound between talking were really alluring.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

That’s pretty good news (except for the delay)

So I had it right about the kit changes. That’s cool…

The sound, I understand people may like it or not. It has some character and probably it doesn’t suit everybody.

But the performance features (P-locks, automation record, ratchet, bend, freeze, real-time kit changes), plus the fact that it covers a fair extent of both beat and melody territories, set this box apart, IMHO.

2 Likes

love the vibe of BB.
only thing that holds me back is lack of reverb & delay kinda thing. spoiled by p-lockable fx on elektron gear :heart:

Well, I’ve got the exact opposite problem with the newer Elektrons: I use external effects (Eventide) so the lack of separate outputs is an issue for me. I happily trade the internal FX of a DN for the separate outputs of a BB ^^

1 Like

we’re polar opposites you and I :blush:

1 Like

If I understood correctly the voices can be assigned to more than one of the assignable outs simultaneously which is great. The more routing options the better.

1 Like

Yep, and what I like is that you can change routing in a very flexible way, just by pressing a couple of buttons - which can be interesting during a live performance. I intend to use e.g. Output 3 for my Eventide TimeFactor, and Output 4 for my Eventide Space, and assign this or that track to each of these outputs independently while playing. This opens up quite a lot of options as these effects are very deep. I consider them like instruments per se.

(Not that I don’t like Elektron’s internal reverb/delay, but they can’t compete with Eventide in that field)

2 Likes

Hell yeah. I hope they can be reassigned while the sequencer is running (I didn’t take note of that one way or the other). I’m not about to start requesting features before I lay hands on the thing but plockable routing per step…just saying.

1 Like

Oh my… that would be great, I hadn’t thought of that…

Regarding the ability to route dynamically during play, I don’t know. I watched the walkthrough again and it appears routing happens in Function mode. As the tricks - that are definitely used during play - are also activated in this mode, I would say it’s likely that routing can be done as well. But maybe it’s wishful thinking.

1 Like