Twisted Electrons Blastbeats

I love the character of this, but I do not need another drum machine… Or do I?

2 Likes

Well it seems to be more of a groovebox. More functionality = more value. :wink:

1 Like

Indeed the synths are actualy the best thing in this machine in my opinion. Even tho the drums are fun as well.

Nice stuff! Also glad to see that non-Elektronauts are incorporating simple sequencers and grooveboxing their instruments up :slight_smile:

1 Like

can it make usable synth sounds out of the drum machines, instead of drums?
seems like full of character, dat fm punch and no low end

1 Like

Mine arrived 12 days ago

5 Likes

Verdict?

If the new elektron syntakt or whatever isn’t the drum synth of my dreams I’m getting this bad boy. Wonder if there are some people with similar plans.

1 Like

I’ve got the opposite plan: I ordered a BlastBeats from Thomann back in February but it’s not coming. If the Syntakt turns out to be as innovative as the BB, I might end up cancelling my order.

But to be honest, coming from the silver machines (MnM and MD), I’ve been quite consistently underwhelmed by the last Elektrons - DN being an exception. I think underdog companies like Twisted Electrons or Norand are more innovative now.

This is highly subjective, of course.

1 Like

Philosophically (and sonically) I like projects like the sidstation or the megafm, taking old things and injecting them with new technology. The elektron sequencer and ui is just so convenient for me though.

1 Like

Mine was waiting for me when I got home from work last night! A full week ahead of the tracking info.
I had a side job scheduled so I only had the chance to play with it for a few minutes but it sounds great! I thought there was something wrong with my unit at first until I realized that the preset pattern I was test driving with had a bunch of automation data saved. Haha.
I’m excited to give this thing a prop run for its money soon!

2 Likes

anyone know how low the bpm can go on one of these?

You can go down to 1 BPM

3 Likes

a future love affair is brewing

I just got mine yesterday as well. Still need to sit down with it but it’s definitely a really cool sounding device. Even though it’s digital I think because it’s got those old chips or something it’s got an analog liveliness to it. Like, it doesn’t sound analog obviously but there’s something about it.

I definitely like it more than the Model Cycles right off the bat.

only experienced from the demos but to me it sounds just like you describe it, definitely got it’s own sound… I don’t use the model cycles for the same kind of thing I would use the blast beats for but I would definitely go for this over the Erica synths drumbox… and plan to

The LXR-02 definitely sounds good but yeah… 6 voices and kind of a weird workflow. I bought them both with the idea that I’d either return the LXR-02 or sell the Blast Beats when/ if they sell out for awhile (I assure, not to make a profit but to maximize my money I get back).

But yeah, LXR-02 technically sounds better. Beefier and more modern, I think that makes sense. But I feel like the Blast Beats has way more character.

Ultimately it’s hard to really compare them because they have different goals (it’s like comparing the MegaFM to a Digitone… sure they are both FM synths but they are really going for different things). But I feel like the Blast Beats has more range, the drum sounds can easily be ma de into synth sounds plus you have 4 actual synth tracks. A lot more parameters to tweak per track as well.

LXR-02 is probably the better for performance but that’s the one going back for me.

2 Likes

I haven’t got mine yet but I intend to use it as a single box, on its own - or maybe with external effects. So the wide range you mention (both in rhythmic and melodic territories) is definitely a good thing for me!

Without any disrespect for earlier posters, I find this is (by far) the video that best reveals the potential of this machine:

(at least in the way I’d like to use it)
Once again, Richard Devine nailed it…

10 Likes

I don’t find the LXR’s workflow weird at all. What’s your problems with it ?
On the other hand I find the Blast Beast workflow really weird. Hard to make really intentional stuff. It’s cool but quite random to me.

1 Like