Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Yes but no real help there - he suggested it might be an illusion… He was kind to offer me a refund so support was good.
This problem with the signal being mostly in the left side happened on both units so I assume it’s on all units. It happens in the same way when you delay one side of a stereo signal (haas effect) rather than just detuning (unison). He did say that the stereo spreading was done by detuning but merely detuning does not create that strong a “out of face effect” I think.

2 Likes

thanks for the update! i doubt that it’s because of any HAAS-type effect tho. if i’ve understood correctly, in wide6 mode both chips are playing the exact same notes and they are coming out of either left or right, so it should be “naturally” stereo as the chips have some irregularities when producing sound. however, it seems like the channels are in balance when the right channel is attenuated by -4-5dB which hardly counts as an illusion.

i’ve contacted them as well now with some more details and recordings as evidence.

There are no volume difference between left and right in my recordings but it still gives you a bit of a headache when listening to it. It’s a shame it has not been made properly.
Anyway, I cannot be sure since this was just my experience with the units I had but I have returned it.

uhh ok so did some more testing and turns out the stereo balance is just fine when the MegaFM is plugged directly into my soundcard (a Babyface Pro), previously i had it running through a Mackie Onyx 1220i mixer first. but: tried a couple different channels on the mixer and all have the same problem, but only for the MegaFM. other gear works just fine for those exact channels. furthermore, there is this weird DC offset drift:

still seems like there’s something wrong with the MegaFM tho as i’m not experiencing this with any other gear…

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed any balance weirdness in my megafm but it is quite quirky synth. More for inspiration and weirdness.

Just wanted to say that the firmware has updated to 1.6 and it now fixes the voice allocation problems. Previously sounds with long release would not work well since the synth would cut off the playing note but now they ring out (new notes are allocated the oldest voices) and it behaves like it should.

3 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

The nostalgia is strong in this one.

The sound really gets me somewhere in the feels. Such familiarity in the tones and timbres. But not in a bad way.

That’s sad to hear… I was keen on getting this but it is almost $1000 dollars where I live and hard to return so I will be giving it a pass. Too much to spend on flakey build quality

When cuckoo asked, “should we have a bass in this?” I actually felt that. I don’t know why it resonated with me… :] 12:17 mark

I use mine for basslines exclusively. I’m filtering afterwards, but yeah, this thing rumbles!

1 Like

To be fair, I must have received the worst of the batch (or I sure hope so). But, yeah, too much money involved and not feeling my dice luck.
And those demos are just knive twisting in the wound… ^^’

I was thinking 566€ was a bit overpriced but still willing to buy. After reading thesecomments I’ll just hold and see what happens. A lot of returns and the firm is really small so we’ll see. I think they really need to step up the marketing because theyr products are nice (therapSid also is interesting) but even after I listened to every demo out there for MegaFM and still something was holding me back. Love the sound tho

1 Like

I’m with you there. Love the sound and was seriously considering a pre-order, but with all of these issues, I’m glad I held off.

Waiting is never a bad idea, but with boutique vendors, the entire market is going to be on these same forums so you’re going to get nearly the entire set of persons with problems posting where you read.

Just to update: I received mine and it seems perfectly solid. I’m happy with the build quality so far.

3 Likes

at this point I am more concerned with the circuit, would be nice if yu can share your opinion when you dig in the machine. Having vey limited resources to invest in music, every purchase has an insane amount of thinking behind it :stuck_out_tongue:
edit: ordered it few weeks ago and still not available. I had the feeling this could happen being a one-man-operation so I just hope to get it from the next batch. I foresee price rising in the used market if something goes wrong.

1 Like

It sounds awesome. A little more noise than I expected but I knew it would be on the lofi spectrum. I wish the sliders had more resolution but otherwise it’s great. I have no real FM experience so it’s all pretty new to me as well.

1 Like

Anyone know if TE are still active? A few of us on muffwiggler have ordered The MegaFM but received no response to our emails or messages … just keen to know all is well.

1 Like

I ordered one from Thomann about a month ago, got an email from them saying they’re expecting stock on the 18th.
I’ll let you know how it goes.

2 Likes