Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

The problem was partly solved by restoring the factory presets (which I didn’t think would matter) and the Voicing button now works fine again. I have installed OS 1.5. However, the audio is still mostly in the left side both with stereo out and headphones. I’ll try the restore again.
I have contacted Alex.

1 Like

Here’s a short piece with a dirty brassy synth sound made on MEGAfm. The rest is Digitone.

16 Likes

that sounds fantastic

1 Like

Thanks! I’m really very happy with it. It’s a special synth and it does have some limitations/quirks but it sounds fantastic and it is pretty addictive. It can sound very analog, phat, noisy and wide and often more tangible or “realistic” (maybe more hardware’ish) than the Digitone. Maybe due to it’s fast envelopes - I think it will be great for drums. I’m sequencing it from the DN so it’s like an extension of the DN.
I may have to send this one back since it still plays mostly in the left side but that’s not really a problem.

is this happening with all voicing modes? in poly12 mode i think it’s by design that notes are only coming out from either left/right but in wide6 and unison modes they should come out of both channels at least.

Here’s a demo video of the MEGAfm I’ve created with some custom made dub, ambient and techno patches.

15 Likes

Lovely sounds :+1:
I look forward to receive mine again. It had been damaged during shipping and Thomann were being really unreasonable about it and didn’t want to replace it at first. Finally they have agreed. Seems that their customer service has gone down. Alex from TE was happy to replace it so kudos to him.

2 Likes

your demos are always my fave ones out there, no matter the instrument!

2 Likes

I hope you received your replacement. If you don’t mind me asking, what was the damage?
Mine had two loose encoders, one (algorythm) wasn’t even vertical and popped right out when I tried to tighten the bolt. Connections on the back weren’t centered, it was hard to plug any cable. Headphones out was mono ; I didn’t test ouputs 1 and 2. No damage on the packaging or the shipping box, which would have been weirdly conforting.

Edit: Rereading the thread, I see you already quite well discribed the issues with your unit, my bad.

Yes sadly it seems to be rather poorly built. I have the headphones mono out as well - hoped it was a bug or fault on mine but that is probably a limitation then. It does do stereo out but you have to connect jacks to output 1 and 2 along with the headphones out in order for it to be stereo :roll_eyes:

The problem was that the synth was playing mostly in the left side and actually my new unit does that too. But I think it may in fact be caused by the haas effect that comes from the stereo separation, that is, the detuning or short delay of output 2. Maybe you can tell me if you hear that too? It is most noticeable with the Wide6 mode. I have asked the developer for clarification.

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t do any testing, I returned it as fast as I could. For now I don’t intend to get a second unit, wich is a (relative) heartbreak as I love the sound of the thing…

(I didn’t know anything about the haas effect, thanks for pointing that out!)

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve just added the patches I’ve created for this video as free download in my onlineshop. Maybe you find them useful.
–> https://limbicbits.onfastspring.com/

Cheers

1 Like

i’m actually getting this too. one side if noticeable louder than the other. did you hear back from the developer?

I just had to get a refund for a TE uAcid8. The developer was really apologetic–said he had a problem with his supplier recently and got subpar components. Maybe that’s happening with the MEGAfm also?

edit Should mention that I also had the mono headphone issue, which seems to be related to the poor components.

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

I ordered more than a week ago directly from t-e. I was excited at first but now I’m seeing all these hardware complaints and I’m thinking I should cancel my order before it ships. Are there solid units out there that people are happy with?

don’t get me wrong, i’m still very happy with my unit! getting unique and usable sounds out of it, some behaviour is just so weird that it’s hard to know whether it’s because of a faulty unit or just “intended” quirkiness of the synth itself :smile:

1 Like

I think the problem was specifically with the smaller units, so the MEGAfm may be fine.

Mine was an early-ish preorder and assembled securely, no complaints.

Thank you. I received shipping notification so I’ll roll the dice!

1 Like