Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Yup, using Librarian, tried with different transfer speeds, MIDI cables etc.
Preset upload/download works fine, firmware sending process looks fine but in the end remains 1.9.
Still no solution for this. Anyone had similar issue?

Thomann may ship faster than TE, is there a reason why youā€™d go through them beyond perhaps availability?

I could immediately hear a similar noise/crunch/dirt in the Plogue demos and itā€™s tempting to save some money but I hardly ever feel inspired to deep dive into programming soft synths. MegaFM looks pretty inviting.

Digitone is great but I tend to get sounds that are too pretty to blend well with the sounds from my other gear. I really love FM synths and Sega Genesis was the first console I owned so MegaFM seems to just make senseā€¦

Thomann gives a 3 year warranty, TE has a 2 year warranty on their products.

But maybe with Thomann thereā€™s higher risk of getting a not-so-perfect unit?

Just curious, I canā€™t afford it anyway :pensive:

1 Like

I agree, the sound is probably there but the fact that it isnā€™t exactly a genesis makes it a bit less fun/immediate. I liked zabutomā€™s attempt at chiptune with the digitone but it doesnā€™t have the quantization and weird envelope slopes a 2612 would have. This was my chiptune/pc98 attempt with plogue chipsynth MD, with the perfectly clean DAC

https://mega.nz/file/lZ4URZbI#7HZNQ5Hl7X-NBG698WY8a7dXYD_lFVfS6Q5ZrFLTffw

2 Likes

With that logic, Iā€™d go with Thomann assuming identical price and availability. Thomann thereā€™s not a lower risk, but easier replacement if you had problems.

But really, theyā€™ve been shipping it fairly consistently and I doubt youā€™d have many concerns about build.

Granted, I have terrible and fairly unique luck with builds, Iā€™ve gotten bad units from Cyclone Analogic and 1010.

He is actually a band member from one of the more popular British pop bands back in the 90ties. I forgot the band name. Sorry. But there is some place an interview with him and Gaz Williams. Quite funny and interesting. Sorry for the OT.

1 Like

Ok?

Does anyone know if the MegaFMā€™s ship with a universal power adapter? Specifically, do they ship with a power adapter that can be used in the US or do I need to find my own?

Iā€™m in Denmark, bought mine from Thomann and it was shipped with a fixed euro PSU.

Mine was shipped with a US adapter.

Mine came with a euro power adapter that took 110-240VAC, but needed an adapter for the prongs.

Got mine today, didnā€™t have much time to dive in but for now itā€™s quite underwhelming.
Maybe I hyped it so much in this year that my expectations went too far.
I didnā€™t think Iā€™d be bothered by the ladder effect so much + the low resolution of the faders (I know itā€™s the chip itself).
It really shines in monophonic mode. Basses are were it gives his best so far.
I wanted it for twisted keys and plucks tho.
Iā€™ll put a couple of hours in the weekend and weā€™ll see if it stays
Did anyone else had a rough start with it?

1 Like

Correction, when I said mine was fixed I meant the pins were not interchangable like on the PSUs you get with Erica Synths gear. The voltage range is indeed 110-240, so a pin adapter would work fine.

How do you like it now after 2 weeks of use? :slight_smile:

In the end I returned it -_-
It didnā€™t make sense in my setup (Only hardware I own is a Digitakt), too specific.
I wonā€™t lie: it rubbed me the wrong way that the unit I received from Thomann was probably a returned one, I assume this based on the fact that most presets made no sense.
I was probably nervous about it in the first place.
I am thinking about the Kodamo Essence but in the meantime I gave up my dawless dreams and bought a Mac Mini M1

1 Like

Just checked out the Kadoma Essence on their page. Not really inspiring sounds tbh. Digitone sounds better imhoā€¦

This does not necessariy indicate a b-stock. The factory presets are pretty nonsensical IIRC.

3 Likes

Funny to read this here, as I just ordered a b stock yesterday. Wondering if itā€™s yours :smile:

2 Likes

wasnā€™t thinking about a B-stock (unless returned units become b-stocks by default) but the presets mess didnā€™t help.
As I said I was probably nervous about the purchase. I wanted it for one year I think I hyped it to madness