Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

If you find a nice bass preset at 53-54 it’s my unit lol. I used maximum care tho :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, the demo tracks were killer but the patches I received on mine didn’t necessarily reflect them.

If it was only the factory presets that distinguished a “returned” device, it probably wasn’t a return.

1 Like

I do remember flipping through the presets thinking “erh, really?” when I received mine. Then quickly moving on to replacing them with my own patches.

2 Likes

yeah, i just got one a couple weeks ago and most of the stock patches are weak, i think a few just didn’t seem to make any sounds? haven’t spent but a few minutes with it as i’ve been putting time into finishing a track that doesn’t include it, but i did hear some good things in the stock bits of course. some definitely wild sounds too. looking forward to diving in with it soon.

edit: and i’m not one to complain about more standard stock patches, nothing wrong with some bread and butter, yknow? but first impressions can be important for some people

1 Like

Yeah, I could swear the developer has acknowledged the weakness of the default patches at some point.

finding some good textural ambient sounds with it today, first time really digging in. just a quick video using my phone’s mic so excuse all that, i think the vibe and some of the richness still comes through:

5 Likes

Received mine from Thomann today and the packing was terrible. The MEGAfm was boxed with no filler so it was moving around. Also had a visible scratch on it. Biggest issue that I’m having right now is midi configuration. Has anyone experienced issues setting it up? Very frustrating

I got one early on. Never used to the presets. It’s super programmable. Fellow Elektronaut @Soarer just did some new patches I think are really good

4 Likes
  1. turn up megafm
  2. hold the voicing knob a fec secs until you see a change on the “screen”
  3. now send a note to it. doesnt matter what, just send a note on the correct channel
  4. to save press voicing knob again
  5. do not wonder about that shitty patches, better programm your own
  6. consider sending it back. a scratch on arrival is not okay.
  7. give the new device a chance, it’s a gritty beast.
  8. do not consider it to be something clean - the chips are doing on the min/max settings of faders “interesting” stuff…
3 Likes

does it do drums, pluck basses?

Linky?

Somehow this seemed totally uninteresting to me when I first heard about it. Lately I’ve been gassing so hard for one that I’m refurbishing a genesis I found at the dump so I can sample it. I’m not really even a gamer, my wife will like it though. Just loving the sounds I hear from this thing.

1 Like

A lot of Genesis carts also have SFX and song players in the options too!

Strider, etc.

1 Like

Thanks! I forgot about that. I haven’t played one since they were relatively new.

Yeah, it’d be easy to get a lot of awesome percussion one-shot samples.

Wish I knew of a cheap flash cart for it though.

1 Like

That’s more or less what I’m hoping for. If I can’t get my hands on a flash cart on the cheap at least I’m not out any money on the console, just an hour or two troubleshooting and soldering. Plus I’ll have cool chips for a future potential noise box.

3 Likes

Funny enough I found a genesis in the trash I upgraded with an audio mod. Was totally worth it, even just to play the Streets of Rage 3 sound tests.

A few years back there were a lot of knock-off everdrive carts on ebay, I’m not seeing them now. Here’s one on AliExpress

Also have you seen this project? genMDM – Catskull Electronics.

Edit: Looks like the genMDM isn’t being produced anymore, but it can be cloned.

2 Likes

Wow thanks for the links. I wasn’t familiar with that genmdm. I figured if I wanted that kind of control I’d have to go full hardware mod style on it.

2 Likes

Received a new one and seems to work, but thing I’m noticing is the volume output is low when plugged directly into the headphone jack. Is that normal for this synth? I don’t have an audio interface, but would that solve my volume problem?