Two DTs; which to keep? Does it matter?

Weird or silly question, maybe. Are there any differences in build quality or anything else between a 2018 Digitakt and a 2021 model?

A while back my trusty Digitakt (purchased on craigslist NYC in 2019) was having a knob issue, so I sent it in to Elektron for repair. I write 80% of my music on the DT, and I knew we might not see each other again for a long time given to the pandemic and its related lag times, component shortages, etc., so I made sure to score another used Digitakt before I parted with my baby.

So now I’ve got the old DT back from the shop (it did indeed take months), and I’m wondering if it matters which one I sell or trade off.

The new one is a 2021 model, found on ebay, and still has the film on the screen. It seemed untouched when I got it and I’ve used it for about 3-4 months. The other is fresh out of the the shop with some new pots and all new trig buttons. The 2018 model is a slightly darker shade of slate gray.

The 2018 deck feels more like “my” digitakt to me, but it feels silly to get attached to a deck the way one would to a physical instrument like a guitar or saxophone. Both have the original boxes.

Thoughts?

1 Like

The new one will be under warranty for a while

2 Likes

Keep’em both!

2 Likes

I could never! Even if it wasn’t like $600 I can’t spend sitting on my desk, my compositions are already way too busy. Another 8 tracks would encourage all my worst songwriting instincts.

I shudder to even think about it.

1 Like

If the old Digitakt has the whiter LEDs, pick that one. I like those better than the blueish white ones they changed to later. :smile:

2 Likes

Personally, I like older designs more: I always feel that slight changes, due to part shortage never means “better” parts. I think, that almost every designer uses the best parts for a new device. When they are not available anymore, they use the second best … or increase the price to get more expensive/ better parts.
As your DT has new pots and trig button, I´d keep this one. And the feeling is important, too. A digitakt is a physical instrument imho and if the older one feels like your instrument - it is your instrument!

2 Likes

I’m fairly certain they changed the pots they use at some point over the past year or so - they’re a bit looser, which was surprising to me as the ones they use on the MKII’s were already looser than the MKI pots.

I prefer the stiffer feel ones personally - but I’m assuming as you didn’t mention that it’s not a consideration - so I’m assuming your 2021 model is using the same pots as your other one.

How do the replaced pots feel? I would expect them to have a number of spares of the old part as it would create inconsistencies in feel if they used the newer ones. It might be subtle enough that it’s not that noticable though.

1 Like