[UN-FIXED!] MD Screen insane!

Hi, half way through a jam today my MD cut out and the screen went all cray. like this:

I tried a factory reset ect. It kinda seemed like it was trying to load up at one point, but never made it past the opening screen. Then more random screen insanity.

I had noticed that my power supply had been quite noisy recently, i was getting some electric shocks. That noise has now stopped, and this has happened. Related? Advice? Is my MD dead, or might a new power-supply resurrect it?

It’s a MK1 UW BTW.

Help me :sob:

Also on start up when I get the blacked out screen I also get all the LEDs illuminated also.

you could get a new PS and try that. right now, try going into test mode also if you have a multimeter test the power supply. if you have a star driver set you can easily open the machine by removing the faceplate and reseating the connectors, also you could replace the battery. if none of this works, it could be partial DSP death.

I’ve got no multimeter unfortunately. I did try go into test mode but I dont understand what to do with it and am concerned to keep turning it on with this dodgy supply.

EDIT: Plus now I can only get it to do full black screen and all LEDS on. So can’t get to test mode.

Me and my friend fixed my Machinedrum. We tested the power supply with a multimeter and all seemed fine. So we took the MD apart step by step. And everything seemed correct.

BUT when we put it back together it worked again. The screen acted a bit weird at first, but I was able to do a factory reset. And now it is functioning as normal.

Moral of this story: I have no frunken idea. “If in doubt, just mess with insides at random”?

I thought it was fixed but it wasn’t. It stopped working halfway through jam again. Now it won’t boot past then start up screen, which just flashes. I can get to the test/reset mode but cant get to reset etc. Oh well, its better than before, back to trying to figure it out.

Have you tried a different PSU?

No, I don’t know anyone near by with a MK1 power supply, and it will cost me about £30 to buy one. I have test the power supply with a meltimeter and it is working as intended.

I contacted Elketron and they suggested it may be oxidation on the connection and that I should clean and recrimp the connections.

But I found that the internal transformer seems to be damaged. It is all bubbled and swollen of one side and seeping waxy ooze. So I think that is the culprit.