Unwanted noise/static

I recently noticed a few trigs creating unwanted static each time they’re hit. The problem is less noticeable when the MD volume is at low-medium, and it’s particularly bad when set to high. I’ve checked cables and noticed the problem when played through the mixer>speakers and on headphones plugged directly into the box. The trigs creating the most noise are those with the most low end; higher frequencies seem to be unaffected.

The problem completely disappears when routed through the non-stereo outs, which leads me to believe it’s something to do with the master effects settings (which I was messing with recently).

What do you think is going on? And if it is the master effects settings, what specifically do you think may be the problem?

On a related note, I’m getting a loud clicking sound when two particular trigs (using the same machine but configured differently) play on the same step simultaneously. Again, this is only a problem through the stereo outs. Accents on both tracks have been cleared so that’s not the issue.

Has anyone experienced this problem when using the same machine twice in a single kit? And might this also be caused by a bad master effects setting?

You could just be clipping the outputs. Try turning down each machines volume.
Unclear if by individual outs you mean one sound routed to each - because that would then make perfect sense.

But point is, could just be a mixing issue.

Could also be your compressor acting up. Try a new kit.

I think you’re right that it’s the outputs clipping. Upon further inspection, I found that the EQ gain on that kit was up all the way, so I’ve scaled that back to around 32 or so. I can now turn the main volume and the individual machine volume up all the way without any unwanted noise.

Does this sound like a good general setup for constructing kits as I move forward? I’m still pretty new to all this so all feedback is appreciated.

1 Like

The master EQ is one of several default settings on the MD that unfortunately can’t be changed globally by the user. Another is each track’s default volume being set to max … at least that one is obvious without menu diving. To get a less distorted output and (imho) a warmer sound, yes, you’ll most likely want to adjust these down, and in every kit you make.

I vividly remember some of these things irritating me when I first dug into the MD, so I humbly recommend patience :slight_smile: You’ve got a powerful beast, but it’s flexible partly because you can adjust a lot of parameters, some of which are a bit inconveniently tucked away.