Upgrading from Tr8s to Rytm

Wondering if anybody who has owned or used both machines could weigh in on this subject.

I just sold my tr-8s to subsidise upgrading to a rytm Mkii but as it left my hands I realised I had some sellers regret.

I own a digitakt and octatrack already but do love a good dedicated drum machine. I like the simplicity of programming a beat on the Tr-8s as well has how quickly I can get a non musician friend up and running for a jam. On top of this, the faders and pre built kits make it so fun and fast to get a new track going.

Is anybody using a midi controller with their rytm for faders? Does the Rytm come with any prebuilt kits and how are the expansion packs? What have you found are the pros and cons with either unit?

I did not own the TR8s, but i am tempted with one since a long time.
The Pro of RYTM is in my opinion the micro timing, you could be a lot groovier. (Its also the top 1 request for the TR8s on their forum.)
Also the conditional trigs go a very long way to make your pattern interesting. Also the build in performance controls - i.e you could put several scenes where you mute /unmute stuff - flip the sample, filter etc.)
So from that aspect the RYTM is the instrument which is a lot more complete, and you could make full tracks alone with the RYTM - with TR8s you get some good sounding drums - but that can be resolved with picking the right samples for the RYTM.

(I can compare the RYTM to Tempest, Digitakt, Syntakt - in my opinion, the RYTM is still the one which can sound the most brutal of them. ) Also sample chains are possible, its a deep instrument - but in multi setups i often see people use only a fraction of what the RYTM can do. To fully utilize it - you have to play it. Ideal for a minimal setup of OT + RYTM + 1x Mono Synth. (A4 maybe.)
I paried it also with a Launchcontrol XL without any problem, but used a Mio 4 Interface - could also be done via MPC One etc or via a Faderfox with real Midi DIN Out.
The RYTM sounded also a lot cleaner when put through a mixer, with individual outs, instead of the Master sum, apply some EQ to clean it a little.

You may want to check out the Erica Synths LXR if you want faders in a drum machine. I love the kits that come with the Rytm and pads are decent for finger drumming patterns. I use the faders on my mixers.

I have owned both.
AR mk1, Mk2 and TR8-S.

I no longer own the AR. Have been using the TR 8S for all things drum, for the last few years.

So, as a drum synth, AR has analogue voices, filters blah blah. BUT, getting a good overall kit sound was a pain in the arse. And, its fiddly, not very playable, in my opinion.

I much prefer the TR8-S, because i dont want to spend 45 minutes synthesizing a bass drum. I want to build a kit quickly, get my beats down quickly, so I can get on with writing the tunes. I like the hands on, front panel controls.

I also really like the sound I can get out of it. Minimal effort, maximum punch.

I dont care about conditional trigs and micro timing, since the right amount of swing and realtime playing around gives better results, again, for me and the music I make.

I dont think its fair to say one is upgrading from one machine to another. Since it implies that one is ‘better’ than another. Which isnt the case.
They are different, and have their own strengths and weaknesses.

13 Likes

I feel the opposite to microtribe, I had the 6S & have had the Rytm mk1 for years & I think he hits the nail in the head in terms of whether you enjoy synthesis, that’s perhaps the most important distinction of the Rytm, it’s about tweaking & p-locking. I thought the 6S sounded good but it was just a drum machine to me, the Rytm is much more & is rewarding for exploration. It also has 4 pads that can be 2 VCO analogue synths, kind of like a macro mini Analogue 4.

So it depends on whether you want easy good sounding drums or to go down roads not knowing where you’ll end up.

4 Likes

RYTM is a lot more work, that is true. But i think it can pay it off, because you can have very individual drum kits personal to you. (And i still use 909 hats samples on the RYTM, because the Synth Engine sucks… )

6 Likes

I have both the ARmk2 and the TR8S.

I’d say it’s a cross grade, not an upgrade.
You’ll lose a lot from the TR8S, but gain a lot on the AR.

But I use my AR way more than the TR8S and would keep it every time if I was forced to choose.

4 Likes

These responses have been very helpful so far.
I think I’m looking for responses to reinforce my decision but I can also repurchase a roland if I miss the instantaneous fun. I don’t perform live so I don’t mind taking time getting things going. Like a meditation.

If I did want the roland sound back I wonder if it would make sense to get a t-8 or tr-6s and trigger it from the rytm. At the end of the day the hands on nature if the tr-8s is awesome so it probably wouldn’t be the same.

Can anyone recommend their favourite preset packs for the rytm and what they like about it?

For me the rythm as nothing to compare to a TR-8s, I don’t see it as a drum only drummachine.
It is designed to do more crafted track and the way it is designed does not allow to play it as fast as an old 808/909.
Or at least it will break your balls to try to use it like that.

The TR8s has this 808/909 kind of philosophy with lots of knobs/fader like the Arturia.

Would not suggest to buy or use a Rythm if this is the expected workflow. It will be a disappointement.

2 Likes

I owned a TR-8S and own an ARMKii. Different workflow for sure. The rainbow circus of lights on the TR-8S killed it for me. Sold it and got an RD-9 since 909 is my favorite anyway. My advice to you is to pick up the Sample from Mars package that is still on sale for $49. Then, you will have all the XoX box sounds, top quality, you can load on your Rytm. Make kits with your most used and they will always be ready to go. Then if you get the feels for the Roland drums, which are the best, you have them.

3 Likes

Agree and I have a TR-08 that is fun for getting a beat going fast but for drum sound design, the Rytm is king in my book. I like Roland sounds but hate the sequencer workflow and menu access to functions. Rytm is a drum sound designer workshop that is fun live tool.

This is the path I’m going to go down.
I just bought a Mkii Rytm and will get a bargain rd-9 to cover that ground! A damn sight more expensive but also a lot more intuitive and fun for me.

The Tr-8s is easy to miss as it has instant access to so many cool sounds, kits and FX… But to me, this is at the cost of it feeling super intuitive and accessible. Getting a base beat going is always fun but I struggle to get into editing individual sounds creating full tracks

for me personally, rytm is the most creative and versatile machine ever.

tr8s is certainly not bad for the old drum stories alla 808, 909 and co. basically you could just buy a decent sample pack with the old drums and load it in rytm.

i also had an ambivalent relationship to rytm at first, because the machines don’t sound that great individually dry. i don’t use samples and i like to design sounds and do everything from scratch. the rytm is perfect for this. once you have found out how individual machines can sound from rytm with fast lfo modulations (amp, pitch and filter modulation), then you first understand what this machine is capable of. You can quickly conjure up realistic percussion or whatever you want, analogously, so very powerful and strong in the mix. and then this fabulous sequencer… man. rytm is the best. but it also costs a lot of money. so the second choice would be the cheap tr8s.

2 Likes

Beautiful response. Did you discover most of this through play and exploration? I just hit buy on the rytm so looks like I’ve got a bit of both ahead of me!

2 Likes

I have been loving my rytm for years now. It’s my favorite gear. It’s groovy af
I did just buy a tr6s though, as I hate using samples for classic drums. And the rytm can do a decent 808 kick, but the rest is different from the classics.

Both are really good imo. I also say you are crossgrading

1 Like

yes, it took a while until I was satisfied with the sound.

basically the fast lfo and the filter clicked for me.

Small example for someone who might be interested:

for e.g. percussions with the RS Hard machine (the principle works with any machine).

set lfo point 2k - spd +48 - sinus wav - mod trig - dep + ca 69 - dst tun

bp filter - frq 71 - res 10 digits.

machine tun -27 - swt 127 - swd 1 - dec 67 - sym 0 - tic 38 - nol 34

amp auto and 15 rel - ovr 2 - del 34

trig page - len 1/64

now you could e.g. run a sequence with the sequencer and then experiment with many timbres per step by setting the filter differently or adjusting the lfo differently or the m-rail etc. thousands of possibilities.

in the end nice external compression, eq. distortion whatever you want.

also the hats are much better than i understood before.

for a decent ride this example:

trig page - len 1/64.

oh classic - tun +40 - dec 127 - col -40.

filter bp - 95 frq - 27 res and very important env +2 - atk 0 - 25 dec -0 sus - rel 64.

amp auto - rel 15 - 2 ovr.

lfo spd +48 - dot 2k - dst tun - sinus wav - mod trig - ca 69 dep.

and here again thousands of possibilities to assign different tones with the sequencer. especially with the slide story with the ride.

These were just small examples of many more possibilities. that’s the cool thing about synthesizers, that you can design them yourself. someone who did samples did exactly that :wink:

3 Likes

I think that the effects are also very cool on the Rytm - not sure how they compare to the TR8S (which I beleive has per track effects in addition to sends?), but people have commented on a few occasions how lush the reverb sounds when I’ve used the Rytm. Feels really well tuned for the job.

I agree about the fx on Rytm, and I like having the limitations of one good reverb/one good delay.

The fx section on the TR8S is huge and covers everything, so great if you like going deep and digging in… personally, I don’t like the option paralysis I get, I’d rather have the consistency and familiarity of less options.

It’s the same with the MC707… what they ‘can’ do is mind-blowing… ‘how’ they do it is tedious.

So, I suppose you can go deep with the Rytm or the TR8S (probably deeper with the latter)… the difference is where they focus:push that depth.

2 Likes

I recently got a second hand AR mki and it is simply fantastic. It hits hard, sounds big, and it is pretty easy to program, if you have already played with and OT, or maybe an A4 I guess… Is it just me or the sound pallete it can cover is pretty damm huge?
The sequencer is intuitive and has many diff options too. Then you have the scenes and performance mode, that I still need to look into, but I bet is gonna be super helpful for live performance. I was thinking for a bit on getting TR8s but I found it pretty expensive for what it does, actually… or at least as I’m aware. I would also probably would find more fun and also cheap, a simple TR8, as they go really cheap those days… And process the hell out of it!
I’ve always been more interested on synthesis than on sample playing too, so finding a good price for an AR mki made me jump into it!
I wonder if it may be possible to perform a set live of about 45mints only using it.

2 Likes

Sidenote, this person makes some good sound packs for Rytm. Not samples, but synthesized sounds. The Classic Drum pack is free and has some decent 808 and 909 starters for kicks and snares. The percussion pack they offer for $5 is really good too. A good way to reverse engineer what it can do and how to get there. I learned a lot from these packs

1 Like