USB-C cable or USB-A-hub for Overbridge?

Hello.

I have recently upgraded my Mac and I’m wondering what would be the best way to connect the Digitone for hassle free stable Overbridge functions in Logic Pro X.

I’m not too familiar yet with Overbridge, since I am quite new to the Digitone.

I have these ports on my computer:
4x USB-C 3,1 gen 2 / Thunderbolt 3
2x USB-A 3 (these are occupied with Maschine MK3 and a powered USB 3.0 hub. There is another powered USB 2.0 hub daisy chained to it. So I do not have a free USB-A port on the back of the Mac Mini)

These are the options:
1/ Digitone -> USB 3.0 hub
2/ Digitone -> USB-A to USB-C cable -> Thunderbolt port
3/ Digitone -> USB-A cable -> USB-C adapter -> Thunderbolt port

Things used to be easy with Firewire and USB-A. There are so many different ports now coming every day, it is getting ridiculuous.

Also, will the Digitone work well in an Aggregate Device in OSX? I am using Catalina with Logic Pro X 10.6.1 (latest)

Is there any actual difference in latency between USB hub and cable straight in? If there is, it has to be miniscule.

If you want to use a hub, fetch one with MTT capabilities, which can handle audio over USB better. I use the Elektron Overhub. Costs more than the cheap stuff, but after burning one of my BT headsets charging it with a cheap hub , I’d never connect my precious devices to something cheap again.
Otherwise, if you only want to connect the Digitone you could use the adapter or cable option and connect it directly to the Mac. Personally - as said - I’d rather not connect the machine and the DT to a USB hub of doubted origin.

It can happen, depends on what is connected to the hub. An external disk and a Audio USB interface could cause issues. At least you should look for MTT capabilities (like the Overhub)

Ah forgot. The DT works like a charme with Logic. Be aware that currently Big Sur is not supported (@Elektron: when will Overbridge be ready for that???)

I use a powered usb3.0 hub and it works like a charme on my imac for my Dn and Dt
Latest os on the machine and Ob2.0.24
Mac on latetst catalina
Cant remember the name of the brand of the hub
Have to check it

Usb hub is then connected to one of the usb3 ports of the imac

I went for that one for the price, amount of ports and it comes with a psu compared to the one of elektron

1 Like

I was thinking of doing it like this:

Mac Mini USB-A port 1: Maschine MK3 (already connected)
Mac Mini USB-A port 2: Transcend USB 3.0 USB hub with:

• Apogee Jam
  • Apogee One
  • Digitone
  • USB 2.0 hub with: iPad Air, iPhone 6

And I would like to merge them all into a single Aggregate Device with the Maschine MK3 being the master clock. All set to 44,1khz samplerate.

My external SSD drive is connected to the USB-C port, so it shouldn’t cause any issues.

I don’t like a see-what-happens scenario as I prefer to not switch audio interfaces to different ports once they are connected and running.

Initially it wasn’t intended to use Overbridge as I prefer to keep it simple and glitch free, but the four Digitone synth tracks directly into Logic do sound tempting. MIDI to and from the Digitone is going through regular MIDI cables

1 Like

I’m trying Overbridge here but it isn’t working for some reason.
The Digitone is in overbridge mode.
Drivers are installed and running.
Engine is running, but whatever I do, the Digitone is not recognized.

The synth is working in USB Audio-MIDI mode, though. No problems there.

I use a 2018 Mac Mini with Catalina. All software and drivers are up to date.
I gave all Elektron software full disk access. Restarted system multiple times. Tried different USB cables, different USB ports. Nothing seems to be working here

PS: This synth is totally nuts. In a very good way

Is anyone willing to assist me with this?
Overbridge is not working at all