Using MPC2000xl to Trigger Individual Digitakt Tracks - Workarounds?

Hey everyone! First post here but I’ve been lurking for a while.

I recently picked up a 2000xl thinking it would be a good compliment to my Digitakt. I was looking for very Push-like workflow where I could use the MPC to play Digitakt’s individual audio tracks and then use midi tracks for polyphany, stereo samples, etc.

The problem I’m having is that I’m not able to play more than one audio track at a time. It looks like this is because the Digitakt’s individual audio tracks are routed to Midi Note Numbers 0 - 8, but the MPC is only able to output Note Numbers 35 - 98 from the pads.

I’ve done some digging, and the closest I’ve come to finding a way around this is an article that I’ll include at the bottom where someone created a pre-made MPC program that’s set up to output midi to lower midi notes. Unfortunately this program is only compatible with the mpc1000 and later.

Has anyone been able to find a workaround for this? I was hoping to go a more hardware route because I’m note sure my laptop is quite powerful enough to run all of this through Ableton without latency.

Thanks everyone in advance!

You could use a MIDI processor like the Blokas Midihub to remap the note numbers if there’s no way to fix it natively on the MPC (see https://blokas.io/midihub/docs/note_remap). Hopefully someone has an easy native solution for you though

3 Likes

Perfect, I was just reading up on this guy:

I don’t have much faith in native solutions at this point sadly, unless someone is able to convert an MPC1000 program file unto a legacy MPC program file.

I appreciate the help!

1 Like

It’s been a while since I turned on the MPC 2000XL but I do remember having the same problem with trying to send low midi notes. The only workaround I could find was to edit an individual ‘trig’ changing the note number, then copy that and paste. I can’t remember the exact detail of how to do it but remember feeling like a genius when I cracked it! Let me know, if you want I can get the mpc out in the next few days and see if I can remember the process.

Not really a great workflow but I could never find another way to get the lower note numbers.

2 Likes

If you stay on the 2000xl then follow @spikysimon advice. There are some midi-processors in the market, which can translate midi notes to lower notes. Alternatively there would be:

https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox

The linked article says that the series from MPC 1000 to 5000 provides a solution. From my MPC 5K I know that it works. The new series of MPC ONE, Live, X makes this even easier. There is a performance mode and the scale of notes/pads can be setup very flexible.

If a simple workflow is of interest changing horses could be an option?