Using werkstatt-01 with digitakt

Hi Guys & girls ,

I’ve recently bought the elektron digitakt . I’m really interested in getting the moog werkstatt 01 , but as im a modular Virgin …I’m Just wondering if I could play the werkstatt into the digitakt and if they would work well together ? Cheers :smiley::smiley:

Sure you can get the audio out to the DT, but if you want to control the werkstatt you’ll need a midi to cv converter. I wouldn’t say it’s the best match ever, I’d rather go with a desktop syth box that takes midi in directly.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice mate . Why make things harder your totally right. I think I might just throw some extra cash and get an Erica synth bassline might be a better option and more straight forward for what need :pray::pray:

TBH, the Moog Werkstatt has an amp envelope click that is very loud. It is present every time you play a key, or use cv/gate. The obvious solution to this is to use the attack parameter - but again, tbh, the attack parameter is pretty useless because it tends to overshoot the sweetspot. At high settings, the sound is non-existent - at above the sweetspot, you’ll notice sluggish time delay from when you first hit the key and when it plays.

I had it and didn’t like it because of the hard click you hear when you trigger it. There are better alternatives out there for that Moog sound, and again, tbh.

Yes I’ve watched a couple of tutorials now and realise it’s pretty unpredictable and lacks control actually . Even though some of the bleeps and noises are great and a bit spacey . I will pass and stay looking for something better . Thanks a lot :blush::love_you_gesture:

FWIW I have had a good half dozen Moogs and the WS is the only one I’ve kept. It does chunky Moog tones beautifully but also goes odd as shit at the drop of a hat. Check the superb DivKid video on it for evidence of both the tone and versatility. I do admittedly have a wealth of MIDI to CV options already, but they’re far from expensive and generally pretty handy to have anyway, from the QuNexus to the Beatstep and a few odd options (like the Midimuso Octex, for example) thrown in for good measure. I’ve never had an issue with the AR envelope and even self-patching it is a joy, although connecting to other things opens up all kinds of fun.

None of this is to disagree re: it being easier to get something with MIDI as standard, but I’d also say that playing around with the WS without MIDI (i.e. using it as a sample source instead) would generate some superb tones for the DT

E.g. a second-hand Minitaur

You won’t get any of the higher octaves out of the Minitaur though

1 Like

Another Werkstatt fan here, pretty raw moog sound in a mini form with lots of modulation capabilities, good tracking, very fast envelope which is why you get the click but makes for great punchy sounds. If you don’t want the click don’t use the envelope to control the VCA.

I often think of getting another one to cross connect.

2 Likes

I use a Werkstatt with a Digitakt. I’m currently using a Korg SQ-64 to drive the Werkstatt (with CV gates, pitch, ).
I also have a Keystep (original) which is perfect for sending Arp or sequences to the Werkstatt over CV. I use the Keystep or SQ-64 as Clock master.
You can use the MIDI tracks on the Digitakt to drive the Werkstatt, but you’d need a converter or a Keystep or similar.

Werkstatt sounds awesome, especially with some delay\verb. It is a bit limited in the waves (pulse or saw) you can get, but the sound you do get is sweet Moog.

You could certainly feed the Werkstatt audio output into the Digitakt for sampling\processing.

Despite it looks limited on the paper, the Werkstatt can be patched many different ways and offer variety of analog sounds. Love it because it’s a compact setup. It takes an additional dimension through delay and reverb of the DT line in. The cherry of the pie is the cv audio in of the Werkstatt that is processed through its filter (still can be modulated via lfo and envelope) and the amp envelope. It can receive external oscillator in modular format. This requires the vco to be disabled not to be mixed with the source, this is not possible by default, you need to apply a simple mod, cut the jumper 57 and solder an on/off switch to it. First time I solder something since low school it went like a charm. The setup is not cost optimised as for twice the price of the Werkstatt you get a synth that has more capabilities overall but possibilities already surpasses my creativity and the Moog sound is great so… I’m more than happy

1 Like