Utility Kits

What are some kits you have on your MD that are not for making patterns? Utility kits can really improve flow, but are usually not fun compared to coming up with a new kit of sounds or for performance. A couple I have or am developing*,

Fire an input machine on all tracks to prep for double up of nonaudio tracks (don’t use this much anymore, but helpful with a limited setup)
Fire a trig LFO on all tracks to sync the free run LFOs
Midi machines on all tracks to control Under the hood midi only parameters of external gear (minitaur in my case)*, basically using the md as a very easy to program midi controller

1 Like

Great one!
I sometimes used:

• utility patterns to open the input gates on tracks which host midi machines in my normal patterns,
  • “RAMicizer” patterns with crazy RAM playback settings and CTR-8 machine assigned to RAM playback, other machines empty, to play around with loops recorded in normal patterns, create some builds and then return to a normal pattern.

I do that too. Except, I seqeunce/controll everything in my studio from my MD. P’locking control knobs is legit. Hypothetically, you do not need another track for cc control, you can just p lock the changes per step, unless it is somethign that is constantly changing. Between that and 6 knobs i havent needed a 2nd track for control, yet… Pretty soon I am going to incorporate effects modules with midi control into this situation. So far I am looking at the MF108 clusterflux and the mf104m. I may need to do some research to see what other effects have decent midi control… any suggestions?

Not sure if this is quite what you meant by utility kits, but I’ve been using what I think of as “prep patterns” to squeeze more mileage out of the UW’s limited sample memory.

In essence, I use these prep patterns to automate the creation of customized samples on the fly – single-cycle wave-based chords, for example, or stacked percussion hits whose individual elements have different FX settings. If I’m only going to use a sample during a single track in a liveset, I don’t want to waste ROM memory on it. So I create the sound on the spot using the RAM machines. The prep pattern only needs to loop once, so it can be done quickly during track transitions.

The details depend on what sort of sample you want, but for chords, set up a few ROM machines to play 1-cycles tuned to a chord, and dedicate a few GND— machines’ LFOs to affect the ROM tracks as needed (to create envelopes, etc.) Have a RAM-R machine record the results at the same time. Presto, a raw chord hit ready for use in your next pattern.

If you like, do more to it by running the RAM-P version through the MD’s effects in the next measure and resample the results again using another RAM-R machine. (Rinse, repeat as needed.) You can use the finished sample by incorporating the last used RAM-P machine in a performance pattern, and overwrite its contents later on.

Recently I’ve been doing this several times over the course of a single liveset and it works a treat :wink:

1 Like

I do that too. Except, I seqeunce/controll everything in my studio from my MD. P’locking control knobs is legit. Hypothetically, you do not need another track for cc control, you can just p lock the changes per step, unless it is somethign that is constantly changing. Between that and 6 knobs i havent needed a 2nd track for control, yet… Pretty soon I am going to incorporate effects modules with midi control into this situation. So far I am looking at the MF108 clusterflux and the mf104m. I may need to do some research to see what other effects have decent midi control… any suggestions?[/quote]
I loved the midiMurf when I had it. It played well with the md. Particularly modulating/p-locking the envelope and mix.

[b][i] Utility kits

what? [/i][/b] input machine
a what?

on all tracks

what? where?

to prep for double up of nonaudio tracks

non audio? so midi and effects?

Fire a trig LFO

a what?

on all tracks
hmmm, how?

sync the free run LFOs
I assume i get this one :slight_smile:

Midi machines on all tracks to control Under the hood midi only parameters of external gear (minitaur in my case)*, basically using the md as a very easy to program midi controller

wow, really? md can do that? will my A4 be any happier because of this?

My MDuw+ has arrived just 2 months ago… boy, i love this forum! so much helpfulness and wonder floating around…

would appreciate a tut on your workflow with more detailed info on everything…thanks for posting StinkyBeat

_-)

Just thought go an idea and was wondering if anyone has tried it. Anyone use the md static LFO trick for resetting free run LFOs? If it works, you should be able to dial in phase of free run LFOs , not just reset the to zero as with having a trig LFO on the same track different pattern previous to switching patterns.