UW Mk 1 running very hot

i am concerned about how hot it gets while using it, is almost too hot to touch …

i do have some weird ancient chinese made psu (with correct specs printed on it :stuck_out_tongue: ) and am wondering if it’s worth getting a new one

It’s a good thing to ask yourself before the machine gets damaged.
Might be even better to ask Elektron support directly!

1 Like

Uhh……
Is it an AC power supply?
MK1s use AC, not DC

lol.
it does work.
(edited op slightly to remove any doubt)

protect your investment, get a proper PSU.

2 Likes

on the front panel!?

yes on front panel, under the knobs is where i most recall.

if you can fry an egg on your MD it would go viral, but permanently yolk your beats…

2 Likes

At the rate prices are going, this could be seen as a new feature and add 500$ to the price on reverb.

1 Like

i’ve decided i may as well get a new psu,

elektron suggested

with the tip

but i am thinking this one of aliexpress,

one key benefit is that being in australia i will need to use a prong adaptor, and the huge swedish one looks heavy, and did i mention huge?

i just remembered i have the original 110v supply and a step down transformer,
i have never used them, but i guess i will test those also.

ok, so i left it running for a few hours using the possibly original psu with a step down transformer and the md only got lightly warm.

then i tried the potentially dodgy one, and now it’s causing the md to buzz from somewhere near the power socket …
so yeah, new psu here we come!

2 Likes

as an update i bought the upbright adaptor mentioned above,
works well but vibrates noticeably so does require an amount of accoustic isolation :stuck_out_tongue:

possibly i should have gone with the recommended supply but i saved $20 and the advantage of the cord to the power socket is immeasurable!