UW - Possibilities when resampling internally?

While everyone is going nuts about the Analog Rytm, I’m hoping to snag a bargain second hand by picking up a Machinedrum from someone who’s going to replace theirs. I know I want a MKII version, but I can’t decide how much I care about UW or not.

The chances of me loading up samples over MIDI are slim to none. I have an MPC and a few other samplers and even then I don’t use samples nearly as much as I used to any more. However, I’ve read in a few places that the Machinedrum with UW can also resample internally, and that sounds quite interesting.

What kinds of things can be done with the internal resampling? Does it open up a lot of new options, and creative possibilities? If so, please can you elaborate on the types of things you can do? Links to videos would also be much appreciated.

Anyone here not have the UW and regret it? Anyone here have the UW and wish they’d saved their money and just gone for the regular version?

I love resampling on the UW. I think it’s one of the best ways to get unique sounds out of it, especially if you start layering things and resampling them. It does take a bit of practice to get the levels and technique down, however.

2 Likes

My two cents as a long time / daily MDUW user: Think more about live sampling other sources. The UW can sound like almost anything.

1 Like

What kinds of things can be done with the internal resampling? Does it open up a lot of new options, and creative possibilities?

yes and yes. i love all the options that the uw engine gives you; imho sample playback alone nearly makes the mduw a complete groovebox in itself. internal resampling puts it over the top for making it possible to create sounds/sequences using the md’s internals & samples, resample them, and then play them back as part of a composition using different filter settings. it’s a great way to create really polished sounding mixes straight out of the mains.

Anyone here not have the UW and regret it?

i’ve read numerous testimonials in the past by people who get the vanilla md (usually to save cash or cos they’ve already got samplers they like) and end up regretting it because they eventually realize what the uw engine is capable of. the majority eventually sell it and buy a uw model.

not everyone though. the internals are quite powerful and fascinating in their own right, and if drum synthesis is really all you are looking for, you might not fall into that majority.

1 Like

got my md uw +drive few months back. i actually dont think i need the +drive option, so wouldnt mind selling.

let me know if you want it, pick up only, berlin

Thanks all for the responses. As I feared, this has definitely made me want the UW.

Does anyone know of any good videos that show the live sampling or internal sampling in action?

Afraid I’m in London, so that’s not gonna work. Sorry.

Hi Wminor and all,

I got the Machinedrum UW since a month now and my life changed. I was used to the crappy RS7000, now it’s just fun.

ANyway, here is a nice link :

You can also check the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zshvf8slc5s&list=RDjAkuJoGY1-8.

pm ed you wminor

Awwww, thanks for linking to one of my videos! The UW is awesome! Gigging with it in a couple weeks, completely improvised set.

3 Likes

I am happy with my uw…

loading samples over midi, just isnt fun… but… It does allow me to create basslines and little synthie lines on my machinedrum in such a happy way… that my liveset is just based around the machinedrum… I do have an octatrack… so i could do the “same” with it… but I rather keep my octatrack for fx/vocals/little things… and keep the bulk of the song comming from the machinedrum.

so funny enough… I have a “better” sampler, as a sidekick… instead of the reverse…
wouldnt be able to do that with a machinedrum without uw…

here a playlist with all the songs I am working on for the liveset…

all bases/synths come from the uw part… there is even a song where i utilize realtime sampling… but it slipped my mind which one… else i put you straight on that one.
sorry mate… my book with notes not in sight…

Awwww, thanks for linking to one of my videos! The UW is awesome! Gigging with it in a couple weeks, completely improvised set.[/quote]
Allerian !

I watched your vids thousand times ! Great approach, you definitely convince me buying an MD.

Awwww, thanks for linking to one of my videos! The UW is awesome! Gigging with it in a couple weeks, completely improvised set.[/quote]
Allerian !

I watched your vids thousand times ! Great approach, you definitely convince me buying an MD.

[/quote]
I have to second this comment! That video was the deciding factor for me.

^ the same…really amazing such meeting :slight_smile:

Allerian thank for your(s) video

this one’s been floating about since 2007 !!
certainly sealed the deal for me

1 Like

Ok, I’m sold. That last video looks like too much fun!

Thanks everyone for your input and videos.

For non funky sampling/glitchy stuff, I still recommend the UW version. With a couple single cycle samples, a couple vocal samples and smart use of the LFO’s, some live sampling and reverse playback you’ve got acid in a box:) This song is just the stereo out, not post processing. Definitely get the UW, so much fun… and I’d highly recommend the plus drive as well, the 2.5 MB of RAM gets used up quickly if you start using substantial samples.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12548110

A post was split to a new topic: Problems with resampling