Various tack lengths and speeds, Direct jump is unpredictable, sequential never changes

I keep hitting this issue. On this jam I have several tracks at 48/48-1x some at 48/48-1/2x some at 24/32-1x and some at 24/32-1/2x. Master LEN is set to INF and CHNG is OFF. Every song has these master settings.
If I use sequential pattern change on some songs it never changes, on others it does right at upcoming bar. With Direct change some of my tracks will be lined up but others, seemingly the ones with 1/2 speed, will be out of sync, a beat or several behind. This is hitting the pattern change within 1/8th or 1/4 before the end of the pattern. Same result hitting it on or just after the downbeat.

How do you deal with prog changes with these settings? experience these issues? Is it the master settings? Maybe Ive misunderstood their full purpose. I typically want my polyrhythms/polymeters to fun free and not start over / re-sync after x number of passes.

cheers

With these settings the pattern won’t change in Sequential mode.

One workaround is to set Master length or Change length to the least common multiple (LCM) of your track lengths. eg. if you have tracks at 8, 9, and 12 steps long, you could set LEN or CHNG to 72. The effect is the same as them running free, but you will be able to change pattern in Sequential mode.

You can google “LCM calculator” if you don’t know how to calculate it yourself.

This is invaluable for this exact purpose:

https://novinyl.net/elektron/

2 Likes

OK yeah I suspected this. Problem is I often dont want to wait that long for the change, especially during the writing phase when Im just trying out different things.
Also seems really odd that Direct change wont work right when any tracks are set to 1/2 speed etc.

This problem has been talked about before on Elektronauts. I’m not sure if a solution was found, but try a search. It might just be a logical consequence of running tracks with different multipliers, rather than a bug?

You might have to make do with Direct Start mode to flip between patterns, when you’re experimenting. Or the lightning fast “Stop-then-Start” move.

1 Like