Velocity probability? - maybe feature request

i am trying to work out a way to get velocity probability to create more dynamic drum grooves. I do know that i can use an LFO to velocity but i want a more structured probability.

Example: i have a hihat track - with hihats on 16 trigs all @ velocity of 30 - then i was trying to use Lock Trigs to set a % probability that another velocity value would trigger for some notes eg 50% chance of velocity of 90. So potentially i would have either velocity of 30 or 90. This is actually more like how a drummer would play hihat or snare, constant notes with varying velocity.

This doesnt seem possible with current OS as the lock trig erases the note. Is there any workaround for this? as it would be very useful to make more dynamic grooves especially for drums.

also noting i dont think i can use midi loopback as I already have several midi controllers sending midi to the digitakt.

maybe its a feature request?

If you only need 32 steps or less for your hi-hat groove, you could set the track’s scale to 2X, and then every other trig microtimed all the way to the left. Then for each of these trig pairs, set the velocities to the different values you want, and the trig condition of the first to whatever you like and the trig condition of the second to NOT PRE. The trigs from each pair will then hit at virtually the same time, but alternating according to the first trig’s condition, in 16th note intervals (you’ll need to use two pages to get 16 altogether).

3 Likes

Do you have neighbour conditions on the DT? Put the trigs you want at the higher velocity on the track next to the main vel=30 track. Set the probability to 50% for the trigs that could change velocity, and set the corresponding trigs on the next track to use the !NEI condition. Olay the same sound using sound locks, on the second track. Use the remaining trigs on that track for some other sound.

1 Like

cool, thanks for the tip. i have tried that in another track and it does work but it is quite a bit of mucking around. would be nice if it was possible with lock trigs some day.

i havent tried that. will give that a go.

I use LFO on sample Volume or Amp Attack! Sometimes Randomly or Sample and Hold! Gives nice human feel on Hihats and Shakers

1 Like

I don’t know, I just set up two trigs and copy/paste and it goes by plenty fast for me :slight_smile:

1 Like