Venting : someone stole one of my sample pack to sell it as his own

And in some way, some of me always was

4 Likes

Agreed. If I had done my own labor and created a sample pack but was unjustly called a thief I sure as hell wouldn’t just stop selling something I created myself.

This whole thing really digs at me.
Obviously this isn’t a court room and there is room for misunderstanding and/or misrepresentation but seriously, this looks pretty clear.

To offer such a crap deal and when refused miraculously offer a “similar” product after purchasing a copy of the og’s work…

Maybe it’s not illegal but it’s straight up disgusting.

1 Like

Keep reading the thread, he goes harder a couple of times

3 Likes

Interesting how close topics can be related to each other: Sample Clearance - #41 by android

1 Like

You want to get his stuff taken down? Just contact all the movie companies that he stole the classic film covers for each of his packs.

5 Likes

Interestingly, the latest of his movie sample packs is from this film: Charade (1963 film) - Wikipedia

And the film is actually in the public domain, because they forgot to put the word “copyright” in the credits, and so legally it wasn’t copyrighted!! (That U.S. law has changed, so any work is automatically covered by copyright even if you don’t explicitly say so).

But only the movie is in the public domain, the original music (by Henry Mancini) is still copyrighted, so yeah, his sample pack is not “royalty free” as he claims.

4 Likes

He also had samples from Forbidden Planet which is in the public domain because its copyright was not renewed after it expired:

“This work is in the public domain because it was published in the United States between 1928 and 1963, and although there may or may not have been a copyright notice, the copyright was not renewed.” (Wikipedia)

And he has a sample pack from All My Babies, an educational film made by the Georgia Board of Public Health, so that’s public domain too.

And Little Shop of Horrors is another sample pack he has: “Because Corman did not believe that The Little Shop of Horrors had much financial prospect after its initial theatrical run, he did not bother to copyright it, resulting in the film entering the public domain.” (Wikipedia again)

His other movie sample packs seem to be public domain movies too (due to their age and lack of renewal, but I didn’t check them all). He might actually be legally fine sampling then, except for the music from Charade where he might honestly believe it’s ok due to the movie being public domain. But that could be an honest mistake. The dialogue from that movie is ok to sample.

On the other hand, they might still be covered by copyright outside the U.S. so I wouldn’t assume the “royalty free” claims are all correct in all jurisdictions.

6 Likes

At sunday evening? :slightly_smiling_face: I like your style.

3 Likes

The King gave the peasants the day off tomorrow.

3 Likes

Cool! What a nice king.

5 Likes

How often does that work out for the better?

3 Likes

From some of the post on this very thread, rarely!

4 Likes

Every day is Sunday if you really want it to be.

2 Likes

Not with that attitude, no.

3 Likes

By the way, Cremacafe sells some nice original synth stands. Is the concept of resampling applicable to woodworking?

1 Like

Until it’s Monday!

4 Likes

It depends on if you think the stands are…sound?:grinning:

6 Likes

Those are pretty sound stands you’ve got there. Would be a shame if they got… resampled.

5 Likes

Actually it is, at least for furniture. Furniture design is a thing and so goes for copying popular designs. The UK was a “design furniture replica heaven”, until 2016 when a stricter copyright law was introduced.

2 Likes

CremaSound are not welcome here anymore.
Every ad from them was removed from the forum.

Every further attempt to get this thread hidden, harass a moderator or Elektron will be made public.