Vermona DRM1 MKIV

He is living in the same city as i do, that´s how ppl here are (some). Nervous. He realized it himself and gave the Mate-tea the fault. :wink:

Vermona is handing out gear to reviewers for free, but they have to send them (on their own costs) send them back to Vermona.

haha yeah I heard that part about the tea. I just mean he’s usually banging and flipping things around kinda roughly. not in a manner I would treat my gear at least.

1 Like

He’s feeling it

1 Like

You think? I didn´t find that unusual. That gear are tools. He is actually quite a good producer. Smoking near your gear and touching gear with nicotine fingers is much worse, imho.

OT: But look at that poor A4:

Besides that…banging live-set!

OT over and out.

1 Like

Still, i rather look for a sample set of the MKIV…instead for a MKIV.
I had the MKIII and i had the same experience that he described regarding the rawness of the sound and uncontrollability in a live situation.

agreed. I just mean the way he’s flipping it around at the beginning (it’s quite a heavy machine, and kinda awkward), putting a pedal and the DT on the face, etc… Vermona stuff is tank-solid so I’m sure it’s fine, but it still bothers me. it’s common in his reviews, I find.

anyway, sorry for the OT…

Yeah i wouldnt do that either. Did you see his longer interview with him, where he shows his studio around? “Always buy Decksavers for your gear” he said. lol so he does care, he just not very respectful with the gear.

Do you have the Goldbaby or OscillatorSink DRM sample packs? They’re free.

5 Likes

Oh wow! Nice! Thank you!

The Goldbaby Samples from the Vermona Drummachine is not the DRM-1, but it´s this vintage baby:

Built in East Germany (DDR) by the “VEB Vermona” (VEB=Volks Eigener Betrieb), not the new company.

And now we learned that “DRM” stands not for DRum Machine", but for “Digital Rythm Machine”.

3 Likes

Those old Soviet-era analog machines are still affordable. Some of the former employees still work there too. It was state-owned, after all. I got to visit GDR and East Berlin back in 1986.

These still sell for ~500€.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This “review” is more an ode to the DT! Some nice sounds there, but not for me anyway.

1 Like

A bit too “clean” of a sound for my tastes. Only got interesting when Stimming added some effects. Love the form factor and individual outs though.

That Stimming review was nice. I dig the raw sounds out this machine. And I agree, sampling them into the DT and being able to process with envelopes and filters would be great to shape the sounds further.

But a great setup would be having the DRM1 being sequenced by the DT Midi tracks, so you can tweak its sounds live. And then having melodic, and other types of samples loaded into the internal tracks of the DT. Now that would be a fun setup.

1 Like

Sequencing by the DT and sound processed into the OT. So you can add compressor to avoid theses volume jump and reverb like he did on the video.
Also sampling the loop for nice transition should be cool in a live situation.

1 Like

Alright, but then let’s throw in a vintage Neve mixing board, and a reel-to-reel mastering deck.

3 Likes

Yes, of course. And then play the live on this

3 Likes

I wouldn’t have it any other way. Someone call a major label, we’re going platinum.

2 Likes

Stimming is one of the few YouTube review / demo people whose ears I tend to trust… But honestly, having had the MkIII, the MkIV really doesn’t sound very different in the video above!

1 Like

Yea…same old same old to me. I love my 3 and was hoping they would change it more than they did.

1 Like