From left field:

Waldorf M.

Reasoning:
4-part multitimbral
Individual outs
Focus on sound, not max functionality
No fx
Superb timbres

I know it’s very different, but there’s also similarities conceptually. Plus I adore the sound.

3 Likes

Great tip! I’m going to have to try the polymind out. Thanks.

this may have been posted above, but Oora makes some good content.

1 Like

Even though this might sound insane: Four 0 Coasts and a Polyend Poly2. Would even be nearly in the same price range like the P4M MK2 CV version

1 Like

Hm I don’t know. Here in Germany the 0 coast is 529€ , the poly 2 costs 349€. That’s ~2450€ vs 1450€ for a perfourmer .

1 Like

Oh, I mean 2 0 Coasts :sweat_smile:
One can use the Slope as an additional oscillator:

And Poly 2 with its built-in play modes is covering all the P4Mer stuff:

J-lo or rachel

When people are looking for “alternatives”, it’s usually not “My fairly unique synth has four voices: out of every single synth in production, what is cheap and I can buy four of?”

It’s wondering what synth has similar qualities, and “sounds and behaves nothing like the perfourmer beyond that it’s a synth that can be bought 4x”

The answer doesn’t offend me but I understand why persons might be confused by the suggestion.

Any synth can be used to make music, but some share if not a legacy, a similar approach and featureset.

2 Likes

I got another one after selling mine months ago because I was in need of cash.

This machine really is special, it feels alive. Sometimes it’ll be kind of boring, or hard to tame, but there are times when it’s the most beautiful thing and I can’t make it happen with anything else. Especially when I add some delay/reverb…

2 Likes

I’m still getting to grips with mine, but a big joy for me is not being able to save anything and all the controls are wysiwyg. Likewise my Juno106 atm chews batteries so it’s back to manual mode only. Like… I want to meticulously save patches and presets, but I just have more fun when I can’t. Vermona taught me that.

In addition to sounding pretty damn nice, it also feels a bit like cheating when each voice sounds slightly different… like sure I should be modulating pitch and filter for variation but I’ll just leave it to the voice being programmed slightly different.

2 Likes

I sold mine, too, and immediately regretted it. I spent about a year looking for a replacement and Perfect Circuit randomly had a CV one in stock this month and I jumped on it. I hope in future moments of weakness I never sell my PerFourmer again.

3 Likes

Kind of amazed that the word “Syntakt” has not appeared in this thread before this post.

I feel like it’s more or less like an Analog Four as an alternative: more powerful but not the same sound or concept.

I’ve got a Perfourmer coming in the next month or two. Really excited to work with it.

2 Likes

I don’t actually think Syntakt is a Perfourmer alternative. But people can get very enthusiastic…

1 Like

Love the Perfourmer, will never sell it. Great synth from a great company.

1 Like

New is beautiful :wink:

Two paraphonic synths and an Octatrack for sequencing and FX

Has anyone got the rack ears for the Perfourmer?

If so, could you tell me how much space there is between the hole in the rack ear for mounting and the top? I’m wondering if I could fit it into an open-topped rack with 6U of space at the top. I’ve got a Middle Atlantic 12U rack with 6U of space available, and it looks like the synth is 7U.

I’ve got a Perfourmer coming and I’m trying to figure out how to set it up in my space before it arrives. TIA.

The distance from the center of the top rack hole to the top of the unit is about 3.25", so about 2U worth of space. The whole thing is about 12.5" tall so it should come out to 7U.

5 Likes

Thank you. That’s super helpful. So am I right that if I were to mount it above a 6U unit in a 12U rack (looks like yours), the top would just stick out a bit? Looks like it.