Vermona Perfourmer alternative?

That’s correct, the top would extend beyond your available 6U of space. So I don’t think it would work in most cases. I’m not sure what you mean by “open top” for your case.

1 Like

Thanks. One of those Middle Atlantic desktop rail racks—so it’s just two rails, not enclosure.

The AKAI Timbre Wolf is clearly the best alternative and nobody wants to admit it!! :joy:

(Kidding)

I have both and genuinely love both lol

I love the mixed FM/subtractive sound of Digitone and Operator, and I also love knobs. The Perfourmer seems perfect, but (like a lot of things these days) you just can’t get one anywhere.

Is this because they make them slowly, or a supply-chain problem?

And is there another knobby synth that lets you switch it into an FM mode like the Perfourmer?

I recently bought a Mono Lancet ‘15 no problem. Those seem to be available, and component wise, these should be very similar to the Perfourmer. So not sure why supply is so hard to come by for the Perfourmer, I’ve seen second hand ones sell for 2.5k on Ebay here (Germany), which is quite a mark up…

Don’t think there’s anything that does inter-voice FM like this. But there’s a couple that do FM. I’m pretty sure sequential take 5 does, and mfb synth pro (are mfb even an active company anymore?). And Novation peak/summit.

1 Like

Actually, there’s always the matriarch. With the exception of only having a single filter that’s not structurally too dissimilar

1 Like

Ive spoke to Vermona in Germany and they told me theres a load going out in Sept/October. All the major retailers will be getting them. Thomann told me to order early though as you know these will sell out.

I guess I could get four of those :wink:

The MFB is discontinued. The Peak is a possibility, but a bit less knob-only.

Good, but huge. I don’t need another keyboard.

I should just get on a waiting list somewhere I guess

2 Likes

I had the peak but setting up FM was a bit menu divey. Also had a perfourmer at one point and the FM while playing chords is really magic. Not found anything else that matches that

1 Like

Are four Mono Lancets the same as a Perfourmer? Or do the Lancets have any extra features(and vice versa)?

Mono Lancet has a second Oscillator.

1 Like

In my mind that would be just like buying four of any other synth without having the FM or being able to switch the play modes so easily. The Perfourmer’s four LFOs can be put in phase as well.

I’ve never tried this, but if you wanted 2 oscillators going thru one filter and VCA on the Perfourmer you could physically patch one VCO into another so I don’t think the Mono really has that advantage either.

I don’t believe the Mono has PWM or FM unless you buy the eurorack expander.

3 Likes

Not the same due to the FM mode and the different playmodes on the Perfourmer

1 Like

Mine is on the way and…they appear to have more as of right now.

4 Likes

Congratulations! They’re hard to find.

1 Like

The Mono Lancet has variable PW for both VCOs, controllable with midi mod wheel messages (CC#85). You could assign a midi LFO from eg an Octratrack, but I’m not sure how well that works.

You can also access all the analog ins/outs of the modular dock (including PW) by plugging in a 25-pin adapter with screw connectors, basically making your own barebones modular dock.

What the Mono Lancet does have going for it is the creamy Vermona sound, dual VCOs and a very nice VCA overdrive. They’re also fairly cheap 2nd hand. 4 Mono Lancets do not equal a PerFourmer, but they’re an interesting entity in their own right.

3 Likes

Oh I totally forgot about that… I’ll have to try it.

Yeah, this is why I haven’t bothered selling mine after acquiring another Perfourmer. It is a great little synth!

1 Like

Some people mentioned the DSI Tetra already: @Claid @tendingtropic @Encephalitislerthargi

But I just remembered it also has a round-robin mode which DSI call “modular mode” in the Combi, which could get you closer than many.

Very different level of hands-on control, of course.

1 Like