Vermona Perfourmer alternative?

Nice try to distract from the PERfourMER with other gear video, but I still find the PERfourMER way better than other synths.

Lol this was my reaction too

2 Likes

It’s an expensive feeling. Which reminds me I need to get back out my first batch iridium.

1 Like

The cascading filter and osc modulation is also not available in the A4.

1 Like

Poor man’s perfourmer

I love the timbrewolf. I love the sequencer, the sound, the fact that it has individual outs. It’s cheap, crude and limited and I have such a soft spot for it!

2 Likes

Not to mention that the A4 doesn’t sound even remotely like the Perfourmer… The appeal of the Vermona, asides from the routing / architecture, is very much that beautifully weighty sound. The oscillators, envelopes and filters are all very nice.

I’d love a Perfourmer, it’s on my ‘one day’ list. This week I’m hoping to find time to get 4 monos all playing chords together as a fun kind of homage

2 Likes

I would agree. IMO it’s an unique but relatively simple design that would still be hard to replicate even in a modular environment, the sound being the main ingredient.

1 Like

Sold out again. I wonder how many they got. I wonder when this will be available in larger batches again…

Yeah, Perfourmer is pretty unique with it’s “4 synths in one” design.
Hard to compare it with something else… Maybe Oberheim TVP can be a bit close (still only 2x VCFs ) but again it’s much more expensive and sounds different.

I would say to the topic starter, if you really dig Performer, go for it : )
Just look for a reasonable offer, it will show up eventually.

(but it’s also sold out :slight_smile:)

3 Likes

haha it is the perfect percussive complement to the P4mer, right? :rofl:

the a4 doesnt sound like the perfourmer but its definitely the best analog mono synth versatility and sound design-wise.

the four separate seq tracks and simultaneous synth voices make it much more powerful than most other analog gear. the interplay between 4 extremely powerful sequencers that can work together with p locks and other modulation + the way the a4 allows tracks to interact internally with one another are it’s strong point. you can route tracks into one another as well as brining in external voices and routing them through the track voices.

it’s qper function makes it very expressive and performative. the analog components like drive and the 2 filters are amazing sounding and great for sculpting sounds. the delay is the best elektron delay. the chorus is the most musical maybe aside from the digitone’s , although not as extreme for weird plasticine or metallic sound design like with the octa or mnm. the reverb is very musical. the many many envelopes, multiple filters, noise source, fm/am/hard sync/analog drive and many expression options make it great for evolving sounds that can weave in and out of one another. also the filter fm with audio rate lfos is one of the coolest analog fm sounds i’ve ever heard, and you can modulate almost anything with those

if you want the vermona for it’s depth and multiple simultaneous mono synths, the analog four would be what you want. if you want it for it’s unique characteristic sound, maybe one of the smith analog dave smith boxes like the tetra would be better. if you want digital, the digitone is another great 4 engine synth with the same sequencing versatility of the A4, except with 8 voice polyphony

7 Likes

Totally! When it comes down to it, the biggest limitation with the Perfourmer is humans only have two hands. The A4 gives you a lot more hands.

4 Likes

i have a lot of synths. i sold the perfourmer and kept the a4 mk2.

perfourmer’s oscs and filters remind me of the minimoog. Very very nice, but some things annoying like the bass drop when resonance is above 0.

the perfourmers envelopes, I found to be a bit slow. I was hoping they’d function well as a 4-voice percussion synth but I didn’t find it worked well like that.

The A4 has a wider sonic palette and is maybe a bit harder to find the magic, but you can set the poly mode to rotate and dial in 4 separate sounds with triangle waves and sharp envelopes and get pretty close to the perfourmer effect. There’s a reason 90% of perfourmer videos sound somewhat similar. It’s a beautiful sound, but it definitely pushes you towards that.

5 Likes

I’m an Elektron fanboy and I sold the A4 and kept the Perfourmer.

(and i kept the Digitone, of course!)

1 Like

also have a lot of synths, and did the opposite. the A4 has a lot of options in a small package, and as I mentioned it’s likely the closest to what a P4mer can do with the voice modes, but it’s not fun to use at all, for me. plus I prefer character and the synth actually sounding great to “it can do a lot.”

5 Likes

This is a lengthy old sales pitch for the A4… Not sure it’s needed here, but hey :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Sure, and that’s what I was referencing. To me, that sound is awesome, and I’d much rather have that than an A4. But to each their own.

I don’t want to get into a debate with the “I love the A4” brigade, I just felt it worth mentioning that they sound nothing alike. And in a thread looking for an alternative to the Perfourmer, that’s quite an important point. You say the A4 can get 90% of the way there, but it can’t really. They might be small differences to some people, but to those of us who search for those last valuable percentages, it matters. To me that’s where the Perfourmer is valuable, it’s one of those synths where it’s analog nature really equals something an extra bit special. And if you want that sound, then the A4 won’t cut it, regardless of how many other things it can do.

4 Likes

In case anyone else wants to compare to the Moog, here’s this older thread, although, personally, when I bought the Matriarch, I was under no illusion at all that it would have much resemblance to the Vermona.

1 Like

Yes i’m more into this as well. I don’t want to have all possibilities and spend my time designing sounds.
The drawback with a PerFourmer is to have similar sound in every track. Maybe that’s just called having your own sound and coherence at the end of the journey :wink:

1 Like