Vermona Retroverb Lancet

Had it and sold it a long time ago bc I needed money for Mnm iirc but all i can remember is how good it sounded; never had problems with crackly pots iirc.
I don’t remember any noise that bothered me

1 Like

thanks

Oddly mine seems better on an insert on my mixer than after a chain of pedals, so I’m guessing thats to do with not using the same power supply as the pedals.

I’m well into it. I do find the slightest touch can have massive varying results. Not sure if this has been posted but it’s a good straight forward example of how to add to a drum loop.

2 Likes

Not on mine.

1 Like

do you use it with any pedals in-front of it?

No.

I cant seem to see any info on balanced in/out or not?

I don’t get what you are getting, and no odd noise etc. I’ve contacted Vermona on a few occasions and they were really good and responsive, so might be worth a quick email?

1 Like

Just be aware…

The reason why the slightest touch can have such a dramatic effect is because this kind of parallel processing causes phase cancelation and frequency compounding. That’s not to say it can’t yield good results, but the irony is that you’re actually compromising the signal integrity in doing it. It’s the same reason why you wouldn’t typically EQ a single audio source in parallel, but rather (ideally) in serial.

Anyway, just a little food for thought.

Cheers!

1 Like

Nope.
I read about the high pitch whine some people report.

Ive used mine as an insert, pre and post fader mixer send, as a send on the octatrack. No issues at all.

Obviously there’s some noise once you crank the gain and balls right up, but thats normal.

@brucegill you’re using mono TS cables right?

2 Likes

That’s interesting, thanks. When I first got the Retroverb I noticed that I was finding it hard to repeat the same effect between sessions but by being more subtle it seemed to help get to where I needed. Having said that it never seemed to be the same, but that’s probably more me and my lack of understanding of what was going on, rather than the unit. :grinning:

I just ordered it and can’t wait to get it, seems perfect for my dubby projects and for “lofi’ing” anything in a nice way.
Got very interested in your thoughts on adding jacks for an external tank- did you go through with it? You’ve got any info/pics to share? It would be very interesting to see!

2 Likes

haha, funny this thread came back up… I’ve owned one for like four years and basically only ever experimented with it every now and then. finally resigned to sell it and then was working on a track and thought “these drums need reverb and some drive… maybe the Retroverb…?” and it completely did the trick. figures :man_shrugging:

it’s an awesome box when it fits, for sure. incredible Vermona build quality too, as usual.

1 Like

Its taken me quite some time to learn how to use it. Getting more confident with it now. I like how analogue gear forces you to remember how to do things, vs save as a preset.

Ive used variations of a particular patch a bit on my wip album. And will be using it much more on the next project. Cant wait :slight_smile:

I had mostly been using this on guitar, but lately it wasn’t getting used enough so I thought I’d see what it was like with my Sequential Take 5, since I mostly run that in mono anyway.

OMG. Long story short, it sounds amazing. I don’t know what exactly the magic combination is, but it makes the T5 really come alive and and gives it so much more “analog” character, as cheesy as that sounds. The spring tank sounds so much less muddy than the one on my Moog Grandmother. The Grandmother one works great for the Grandmother, but I think the Vermona is nicer for a polysynth.

It’s not cheap, but really is such a nice “color box” for so many use cases synth, guitar, bass, drums…

I originally got it to use for dub projects with my Tascam 4-track, since I didn’t want to shake my vintage Fender reverb tank, but it has ended up being used for just about everything but that.

7 Likes

I feel inspired to get mine off the shelf and use it now! It’s a magical little box, not the easiest at times but when it hits it’s special!

1 Like

Yeah, it can be fiddly to dial in, which might be why it ended up on my shelf for a while as well. It’s such a shame not to use it though so I’m going to leave it permanently parked in my synth chain for a while.

I was just thinking it would probably sound really great on Fender Rhodes or organ as well. I need to give it a try with my Yamaha Reface CP and YC.

It’s a shame these don’t get more love. I guess Vermona doesn’t really do much marketing.

1 Like

Been on the 2nd send since I got it 4 years ago. I love it. Its a bit ”broken” though. Every time I turn it on the springs are locked or something so I need to drop it pretty hard on the table a couple of times til I hear the springs gradually comes loose.

1 Like

You should sample that

2 Likes

Start most of the tracks with me banging the damn thing followed by a thunderous sproing so its done. Kinda like it. Like a shitty car that only me knows the right way to start.

3 Likes