Versatile Daw Controller?

What would be the perfect daw controller. Here’s a rough sketch of an idea I had, is it to much, not enough, what do you think?

Controller:
22 channel select buttons, with mute and solo
1 motorised fader (replaceable/upgradeable), with LED
1 scroll wheel ( with multiple functions, for sample trimming, sample envelope, crossfade, zoom, automation etc)
8 programmable midi knobs ( with 4 banks, Master, VSTs, Effects, Channel)
8 programmable buttons
1 large Filter cutoff knob
1 Resonance knob

Buttons:
Copy, Paste, Cut, Delete, Spilt, Redo, Undo, Insert, Marker, Master, VSTs, Effects, All Channels, Shift, Bank select, Play, Stop, Loop, Metronome, Record, Mono.

Keyboard
37 Keys, Aftertouch, Mod & Pitch Bend

LED screen:
Channel information, Oscilloscope, Frequency Analyser, Tuner

Led Stripe
For channel numbers, grouped tracks, panning, etc, and tracks colour coded,

Version 2 Optional with a built in audio interface

16 Combo Inputs
8 XLR outputs
1 Adat Input & 0ut
1 digital In & Out
1 Midi In & Out
1 USB
1 USB Hub x4
2x Headphones
Works in Standalone

Master Knob, Monitor select A/B
Mono & Dim
Filter section is analog with input routing

The controller will also allow to add an 19" rack underneath, this could be an interface, patchbay etc…

1 Like

Have you considered modular one?

Some examples:

2 Likes

Honestly, I dislike the idea of “all-in-one” controllers. I’m not saying a keyboard shouldn’t have any knobs/faders, but I believe the main knob/fader countroller shouldn’t have any built-in keyboard (or audio interface), because that just multiplies compromises.

Also I don’t understand why on earth are some manufacturers making mixers/interfaces with XLR-only inputs (looking at you Behringer). Combo jacks aren’t that expensive and make everything much more useful and versatile with zero drawbacks.

3 Likes

These look really cool, yes you could apply some modular components to it are all of it

Lets add combo jacks,

The motorised fader should be replaceable & upgradeable

Fun idea!

For me I’d like something like an APC-40 MKii, but with a novation launchpad like section instead of the clip launchers, with pressure sensitive pads. This would have an isomorphic keyboard mode etc.

It would have a bank of potentiometers dedicated to send effects and filter cutoffs - sweepy stuff you want a proper knob for. But then a bunch of endless encoders for most other stuff.

Proper faders and a crossfader, quality stuff with a good feel, none of this cheap plastic stuff.

APC-40 MKiii.

I really like the idea of there being rackspace as part of it - that’s a great idea, even if it’s enabled via optional ears that extend the height/add the bracket. That’s a fun idea to add aditional control directly to the controller, I could imagine adding EQ/Compression to it. If they’re add-on ears then there could be different ones available, maybe a larger angled version that can take 6U and becomes like a DJ table.

Gimme.

1 Like

Thanks, some great ideas you mentioned, I would say there will be a APC 40 MK3 or a Push 2

If you want requirements I can assign you a Jira ticket :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a Jira user I want to end my own life so I don’t have to use Jira any more

Project Management bants

1 Like

Yes I was just throwing out some ideas, I agree its all about good designed what people will actually buy, its the reason I posted this, just to see what people would like to see in a Daw Controller. I know perfect is a loaded word if there is such a thing in making a perfect controller, probably the wrong choice of words, but there is one company I feel at the moment that do listen to customers, and thats Behringer.

1 Like
1 Like