Virus TI help needed

Got a Virus TI recently, and have a couple of questions for the seasoned user

1. How to disable a part in sequencer mode?
    I’m sending modi data from the ot, but the Virus is listening on all channels. What to do if I want it to ignore midi channel 3? How to make virus not respond to a specific channel in the seq mode?

2. I hooked up my iPad via the CCK, and the audio data started coming from the virus outputs! That was unexpected, but great! Only I didn’t find ways of routing it and / or applying filters and effects on the signal. So, the question is, how to route iPad USB audio, both to the fisical outputs (1 2 3) and to the filters/effects?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

If you use your Virus in Multi mode there is a part enable (on/off) setting.

Audio fed into the Virus’s inputs can be either routed directly to the outputs, with the only control being volume, or it can be used as the osc source in which case it can be affected by the filter, amp envelope and the FX.

To make this setting you have to create a patch and in FX1 page set the input parameter to dynamic (controlled by amp envelope) or static (not controlled by amp envelope). The easiest way to do this is in Virus Control (i.e. on the computer).

1 Like

^^

This exactly. Easy peasy although the Virus can sometimes be a little overwhelming with the menus and diving.

Thanks for the reply!
I’m using the sequencer mode, not multi, though. And can’t find info on it, the manual entry is rather short for that topic.

As for the input, the audio goes from the ipad via usb into the Virus, so no Virus control, and it doesnt show in the input selection. Got me baffled when i figures out that id doesn’t use the fisical audio inputs…

Multi mode is not available when sequencing the Virus inside a DAW. When using a hardware sequencer use the mode switch to step between single, sequencer and multi.

To filter/FX external audio you have to create a patch (or find a preset) that is tailored to do this by making the settings I outlined in my original reply. I think there are factory patches which have been set up for external audio.

I merely mentioned Virus Control because it provides a very intuitive way to create your own patches, which can then be saved and used in standalone operation.

1 Like

Last form of my personal project was with Virus Ti. I used Multi mode, easy to prepare sounds and songs( it was sequenced by OT ). And like Stickhit said,and explained, it resolves your problems. Give it a try! Each multi was like one song, called from OT via ProgramChange…each part of the multi controlled via midi channel on OT( so 8 active part per song…enough…). And then you can easy control each part (or put it Off…to be used for an input -ipad-fx treatment). Well, you must to find a way to go inside Virus not by usb… Hope you find your way!

1 Like

I tried both the multi and seq and prefer the seq, so that s why my question is focused on that mode. I find using multi mode cumbersome, its easier for me just to put the data in the ot program change and not worry about when to choose which multi, or remembering the names afer a while…

Routing doesnt mention usb audio stream anywhere, and that is where the ipad is sending it when connected via cck. i’m trying to find a solution for that as well. I connect the ipad to receive clock, the audio stream was a surprise, haven’t found it mentioned anywhere.

Hi im a Virus TI Polar user and answering your question 1 is simple, go to the CONFIG button on the left side of the display and theres the option to get an specific midi channel to receive incoming data. also i think on the next button EDIT you can change your output settings.

NOTE IF YOU USE THE EDIT OR CONFIG BUTTONS YOU MAY LOOK SOME FRACTIONS LIKE (1/2) ON THE UPPER SIDE SHOWING ON WHAT PAGE ARE YOU, YOU CAN CHANGE THE PAGE WITH THE PARAMETER BUTTONS ON THE RIGHT OF YOUR DISPLAY.

WITH THE EDIT BUTTON YOU CAN CHECK THE INPUT MODE THERES 3 OPTIONS

1. OFF
  2. DYNAMIC
  3. STATIC

NOW YOU CAN SELECT LEFT OR RIGHT INPUT AND YOU CAN MODIFY THE OUTPUT (SURROUND)
ALSO IS GOOD TO RESET WITH THE EDIT BUUTTON ON THE ARP SECTION AND TRY TO INSTALL THE LAS OS I THINK JUST DROP THE 5.1.6.0.5
DEPENDING ON WHAT VIRUS OS ARE YOU RUNNING CHECK THE ATOMIZER FUNCTION SO COOL FOR SOME STYLES IS AN AUDIO SLICER FOR PROCESSING INTERNAL SOUNDS. HAS AN ACCESS ALGORYTHM THAT MAY PRODUCE INTERESTING STUFF.

HOPE THIS HELPS BEST… :3lektron: :eye: :elmd:

2 Likes

You can use OT pattern changes to change multis on the Virus.
If you switch the OT on after switching on your Virus, the OT will automatically select the correct multi for the pattern.
If you name your multis as OT pattern numbers (e.g. Octa A01, Octa A02 etc.) you can visually confirm that patterns and multis are synchronised.

2 Likes

THIS IS SO COOL! DO YOU THINK THIS IS POSSIBLE TO ACHIEVE THIS OR SIMILAR SYNC WITH A MACHINEDRUM? CAUSE I DONT HAVE AN :elot: :sad: JUST A MDUW :elmd:

JUMPING TO THE VIRUS TO MAKE SOME TESTS AND RESEARCH VS MDUW

:elan::elan:

I’m having the same issue with the TI. So far it seems like it’s impossible to cleanly disable a channel in Sequencer mode. Multi mode’s Shift+Edit menu has a Part Enable: yes/no option, but Sequencer mode doesn’t. Guess I’ll stick with a dummy patch with Volume at 0 and closed Amp envelopes, for the channels I want to disable.

1 Like

I recently had to figure out how to do the MIDI routing to the Virus TI, but unless you’re using Logic Pro X and Overbridge with MIDI over USB my input won’t be of much use. Let me know if you think my solution is what you need.

Didn’t think of that.
Good mind flow, man!

1 Like