Virus TI2 MIDI settings for use with Octatrack - PLEASE HELP

Hey team,

Is there anyone out there who is using a Virus TI2 with built-in keyboard (i.e., Polar or Darkstar) in multimode while syncing with an Octatrack or Digitakt?

If so, are you able to record keyboard notes from the Virus into the OT/DT sequencer? I cannot figure out how to set things up to do this.

I can manually put down triggers on the OT/DT in grid recording mode and those will trigger the Virus, but I cannot live record from the Virus into the OT/DT.

I’m using Multimode with channels 1-8 on the Virus corresponding to MIDI channels 1-8 in the OT/DT (I’m saying DT as well because I’ve been trying to troubleshoot this with both machines). I’m able to trigger notes just fine on all the channels. But when I hit record on either the OT or DT, the sequencer is not capturing any notes played from the Virus.

I have MIDI going from the OT MIDI OUT to the Virus MIDI IN.
I also have MIDI going from the Virus MIDI OUT to the OT MIDI IN.

In the MIDI control settings on the Octatrack I have “AUDIO NOTE IN” turned OFF, because otherwise playing keys on the Virus triggers all kinds of weird shit on the OT. There is no such setting on the DT.

The MIDI settings in the Virus are pretty sparse. I’m using the same global channel on both the Virus and the OT.

I’m desperate to figure out how to record from a TI2 Darkstar into an Octatrack, using the TI2’s keyboard. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you.

You have to send notes to the auto channel in order to record them. So, you can only record notes into one track at a time.

I assume that’s the issue you’re running into.

Edit: MIDI settings => Channels. Auto channel default is 9 or 10 I believe. So you have to select the track you want to record into and set your Virus to send MIDI on the auto channel.

When you say auto channel, do you mean global channel?

Here’s the thing: If I set the global channel on both the Virus and OT to channel 1, then I can record part 1 of a multimode patch on the OT, but only if I do it on a track that is assigned to any channel BUT channel 1. (???) If I record to a MIDI track assigned to channel 1 (i.e., the global channel) all hell breaks loose on the OT. The multimode patch initializes itself and weird trigs are triggered and crazy sounds happen.

So this makes it so I can’t listen to the patch I want to record while I’m playing it. Say I want to record part 4 of a multimode patch. To do this, I have to assign a MIDI track on the OT to channel 4, but on the Virus I have to be playing part 1, which is the part corresponding to the global channel. If I set the global channel to channel 4, then all that weird MIDI stuff happens. So, in the end, I am able to record a certain part of a multimode patch, but I can’t listen to that patch as i record it. This seems weird.

If this is not how it is for you, would you mind giving me step-by-step instructions on your channel settings (global and track level) for both the OT and the Virus? Assume you’re giving instructions to a total idiot. I would be so appreciative. Thanks.

I mean the auto-channel on the OT:

The only way to record MIDI notes/information from an external controller into the Octatrack is to use the auto-channel. You can only record one track at a time. The currently selected track, regardless of its underlying MIDI channel, will respond to MIDI sent to the auto channel.

So, if your intention is to use the Virus as a MIDI controller to input notes into the Octatrack then you set the desired auto-channel on the Octatrack then set your Virus to transmit on the auto-channel. Select the Octatrack track that you want to record into and record your MIDI performance.

I would highly recommend not using MIDI channel 1 for the auto channel as it is the default channel for a lot of devices. The default auto-channel on the OT is 10.

From what I’m reading, you want to record multiple ‘parts’ from the Virus into individual tracks on the OT at the same time using separate MIDI channels. Not possible.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips. That definitely helped me along. For what it’s worth, I did find a workaround that allows me to record different tracks. I mention it in this post…

1 Like