Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Well not much the dealer/retailer can do if you make a warranty claim due to wonky buttons or bleeding display.

Since it’s “by design”, while the retailer/dealer can give you you’r money back they can’t force Waldorf to fix something Waldorf claims is in no need of fixing.

So if you want an Iridium you do have to accept it, as it stands now anyways. This according to the response owners gotten from Waldorf while making inquiries regarding various issues.

1 Like

If the dealer replies the same as Waldorf support, you can ask for a refund. But always claim your warranty.

Many (most?) online retailers I know about (in the US) offer a no-questions-asked return policy. It normally costs you a little — like you pay the shipping — but you can just return the item regardless.

I also think it is reasonable to ask the seller to pre-test your unit before they ship it, certainly for something this expensive they will do this…

Will there be a wave of B-Stock Iridiums on the way ? I’ve seen that happen with other products.

The dealer can’t repair the product, they only sell it. While the contract is between buyer and dealer, the dealer depends very much on the manufacturer to honor the warranty. Particularly on such a niche product like the Iridium. (opposed to a tv which can be serviced in a authorized service centers contracted by the dealer)

Getting a refund within the grace period has nothing to do with warranty, getting refund due to a faulty product is under warranty and here it will become interesting.

Since no dealer will eat up the cost for a faulty unit, so they either they sell it as b-stock at a reduced price or they send it back to the manufacturer for a repair. In this case a repair that can’t or won’t be done by Waldorf since it’s by design.

For the Iridium enduser (to ensure that everyone get the same quality product) the best scenario would be for all who slightest issue with their units to return them, since that force Waldorf to take action, since no dealer would eat up the cost them self.

1 Like

That’s not always true, Sweetwater as for instance does repair themselves, though perhaps not with Waldorf. specifically. I believe Kong will be doing the Waldorf repair in the USA.

1 Like

I feel sorry for the people getting this first batch, i.e. the beta testers. And who’s going to want to order one of the next batch, knowing that Waldorf may pretend a defect is not a defect? Oh well, it’s going to cost them sales in the long run. I would have been in the market myself, but there’s no way I’d order one now. Sounds like a $2500 headache I don’t need. Disappointing.

1 Like

Correct in some instances larger dealers have authorized in house departments or contracted 3rd party repair shops. But i very much doubt sweetwater will crack open the Iridium and fix it as it stands now. Usually the service department get a service manual as well as run thru the unit with someone from the manufacturer. Something i highly doubt has happened for the Iridium.

But in general dealers do not repair the products, more common is that the distributor handles any repairs or warranty claims if not the manufacturer them self.

2 Likes

Thomann Germany also has self repair, 165 people.

1 Like

I think you are missing the point here :slightly_smiling_face:

Point made :slight_smile:

Why should it be Thomanns responsibility to do a repair for a brand-new product, it is not up to them and I highly doubt they think different. Customer care, yes, but not for any price.

Edit: Yeah, damn, I missed the point! Really sorry about that! :slightly_smiling_face:

You missed the point. I was replying @Fotopaul and @Jukka about dealers that have a self repair service. Was a offtopic reply.

2 Likes

I found another bug, can anyone who got an Idirium confirm? When I start the Iridium in an USB flash drive plugged in I can´t change any values with the encoders next to the display.

I plugged in a usb thumb drive and turned it on. I then turned all 6 knobs around the display. They all worked as expected.

2 Likes

Thanks! I am going to email Waldorf then.

Just got the Sweetwater Summer / Fall 2020 “Select” Catalog in the mail. It would have been prepped for printing a few weeks back, so it’s a bit of a time portal. Remember how the price got set for the Iridium in the rest of the world while we waited in the USA for a price to be announced— with it later finally being $2500 USD. This mini-catalog shows the price for the Iridium as $3000 instead.

Glad someone is on our side with this.

4 Likes

I have a Quantum so I don’t know if this is true. I heard the front plate of the Iridium is magnetic. Take off all the knobs and you can move the front plate to get the buttons aligned correctly. Sorry if this is incorrect just something I heard.

2 Likes

I was quoted $2,499 by Sweetwater before the catalog came out. Strange

1 Like

There is a considerable lag on prep and printings like this, at the volume printed.

Recall that someone else on this forum got quoted a price from Sweetwater before the US price was set discounted down to “slightly below 3 grand”.

ADDED: I found the post here, it was 26 days ago, of someone who ordered from Sweetwater for “a bit less than” $3000.

1 Like

SW told me the cost was 3k right after it was announced. I tried to get them closer to match EU prices and they told me that $2500 was lower than their cost and quoted me $2850. I ended up cancelling with them but I can confirm this is what they were saying. I called them the day it was announced.

2 Likes