Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

At 59:48, Rolf reports that MPE is on their to do list. I could plug my LinnStrument directly into the Iridium’s USB port. I just re-bookmarked this thread.

1 Like

Yup, they have been investigating that for a while, and also MIDI 2.0.

So any good MPE controller.

I appreciate Rolf’s willingness to talk so openly about their products.

1 Like

Exactly what @Jukka said…Here is the video where Rolf talks about MPE.

Looking forward to the beta firmware versions when MPE is implemented.

2 Likes

The biggest thing from the interview IMO was Quantum getting full compatibility with Iridium. This implies 16 voices when only using digital filters.

While not directly a feature for Iridium, it strengthens the platform as more people can share programs.

1 Like

hmm, that makes the Quantum a little more…

For me … that there may be a third member of the family. Would you go higher or lower ?

2 Likes

Good catch, I do remember him saying that. It went by quick.

To go less expensive, maybe more in the software direction? Then again, I doubt they would ever release Quantum / Iridium as a virtual instrument. If they did, then an iPad + software becomes competition for their own hardware.

Along those lines maybe they do something different with an iPad…
For example, maybe an instance of Nave could replace one of the OSCs of the Quantum/Iridium.

Another path would be that the “3rd” entry is the integration of an Iridium with the Quantum.
Rolf said there are user requests to chain them. If they get that working, maybe a Super Quantum with both? :laughing: Wild speculation there!

Edit: I think I may have a better idea on the new entry into the family. Because I can’t get an Iridium anytime soon I was seriously evaluating getting a Quantum, and changing my music area to accommodate it. I realized they could make a 49 key Quantum without analog filters, and add CV at a price of $3400. That’s my official guess now. Not up, not down, but in-between :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just got the call from Sweetwater, and it was “another 4-6 weeks which could be pushed back further”.

Ugh :worried: I’m going to re-evaluate this.

Edit: I’m now considering going for the Quantum :rofl: It’s way expensive, but must admit I’m lusting after having that as the centerpiece of my setup. If it get’s 16 voices that would be cool. The thing that’s stopping me is CV, as I really want that to use with the Pro3.

I see a lot of people considering CV inputs as less interesting global modulation sources on most gear, but with the Iridium, you can use them as modulation scalars without using up extra mod slots.

So

• Mod source = per voice modulation (ie. random trig)
  • Modulation depth = 0
  • Controller = CV
  • Controller depth = whatever.

With that, you get loads more interesting stuff than one typically associates with a global mod source.

1 Like

Alto music has one in stock

1 Like

Can you use the 15% off code posted over on the Deals thread ?

Folks might want to check Guitar Center. I got mine pretty fast from them.

1 Like

Nope. I tried yesterday already

1 Like

I always just assumed the logical next step would be doing engine specific releases. (Ie. for those who are interested in just the wavetable, particle, kernel or resonator engines, etc.)

1 Like

I had considered that too. Or hardware with fewer voices.

That’s on the low end — i really hope that things happen at the high end …

(I’ve got to believe they’re processor bound or close to it now.)

1 Like

I mean. It’d certainly be enthralling to see something more expensive than the Quantum from them, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

yeah, the CV pretty much cinches the Iridium for me over the Quantum. I do like how the Quantum has more physical controls, though.

1 Like

Thanks!

I just ordered it there, so fingers crossed! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I guess you’ve seen this, but Tim Shoebridge presents interesting considerations of the Quantum’s (and, by extension, Iridium’s) touchscreen. I’m particularly concerned about the touuchscreen’s longevity and reliability because if it degrades or goes bad-, then that means losing these devices’ core appeal and functionality.

One serious quirk Shoebridge points out is that the Quantum’s rightmost 5-10mm don’t respond at all to touch. He also points out how that doesn’t matter at all to the way the interface works, but still: this doesn’t inspire confidence. Iridium’s screen is slightly smaller (right?), so maybe it doesn’t have the dead zone issue. Shoebridge considers the MPC Live’s touchscreen to be the best currently in production. I don’t need Waldorf’s to be the best, and I’m happy to work around any quirk as long as all functionality remains available. I just need the screen to be robust and last for the life of the device, which, at these prices, I expect to be a long, long time.

He also points out that the screen needs slow, deliberate movements, with your head positioned close to it. It doesn’t lend itself to reaching out and swiping or tapping. I wonder how this impacts the instruments’ playing feel? It implies that, aside from the X-Y, the touchscreen is mostly reserved for when you’re in sound design mode rather than tweaking on the fly during a performance.

1 Like

I’ve considered buying the Quantum and Iridium, and have a slightly different take on this. I assume that the touch screen system will fail (or is likely to) in that lifetime. The question is then one of repair.

The parts for this aren’t run of the mill parts, and this kind of stuff changes and goes out of production quickly. My decision is that should i purchase the Q or the Iridium, i’d want to own at least one set of all the replacement parts likely to go obsolete as well. I’m sure that would run a few hundred dollars, but to me that’s just the cost of doing business with expensive hardware.