Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Another short patch demo (wavetable + resonator). Primary notes are:

1. X axis adjusts spectrum.
  2. Y axis adjusts position.
  3. The komplex modulator is sliding through different spectrum intervals at different cycle rates per voice.

Edit: As usual, I’m using a key-tracked BP filter, because I’m pretty sensitive to low frequency build up.

I deeply wish you could set up the dual filters to work in series, instead of only parallel, as I’d miss what the comb filter brings to this.

7 Likes

You’re missing some kind of Analog Heat, I’d say…

:man_dancing:t2::door:

2 Likes

Haha, I actually have one. :sweat_smile: — I just don’t like the idea of using it on “patch demos”. For tracks, absolutely, but yeah.

1 Like

Still waiting for my Iridium to ship. I think I’ve watched loopops video at least 10 times :slight_smile:

Regarding the sound of the Iridium, I’ve seen people describe it as “digital” and “harsh” and “cold” and “brittle” and I’m like yes! Because sometimes I want that.

To me it sounds fascinating and alien. The mids and highs are a bit exaggerated, with a strong clarity and presence. At first the sound didn’t captivate me, but now I’m really digging it.

3 Likes

It is absolutely ^these things to a T.

My particular journey getting here involved the announcement of the Hydra and being rather blown away by literally everything about it but the sound.

Then, my good friend @Millolab suggested I look more into Waldorf’s older racks (the Q rack and XT). – Both of which, I absolutely loved the tones out of. I was in the process of deciding between those when the Iridium was leaked (I believe this was the same day as the recent DT/ DN firmware was released).

Sound-wise, the oscillators got me right away. Feature-wise, it looked like the Q-rack and XT wrapped into 1 and then some. It even had CV inputs and a live granular function to boot.
Add to these the assurance of a warranty + safety of the return period, and I was sold. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This would complement my current rig nicely, it’s just that

is something I don’t have from my current location.

Just curious, does anyone know the technical specs of the Iridium/Quantum?

Bit depth: ???
Sample Rate: ???
DSP: Single ARM quad core? MHz?

I’m not sure if we’ll ever get these details, but I want to know them.

2 Likes

I looked for these for a few days and gave up. :confused:

I also think it’s a bit strange that Waldorf is seemingly less transparent in this regard.

Another beauty…

6 Likes

By far my favorite thing of it I’ve heard thus far.

Really lovely stuff.

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

This one is amazing too (from the Quantum)

1 Like

Yeah, @astrolab’s Quantum stuff is super lovely.

2 Likes

Sweetwater told me that my Iridium is still scheduled to arrive next week, but it has no tracking information, so it’s expected to get a new ETA.

Man, I would love to get it next week! But I need to push that idea out of my mind :slight_smile:

at Thomann, they announced 4-5 weeks … :worried:

3 Likes

Ugh… and typically Europe is faster for accessing Waldorf gear.

I just wish it was a solid ETA vs pushing it out another 4-5 weeks, only to be told in 4-5 weeks, that it will be another 4-5 weeks :slight_smile:

In the Loopop video he shows that the Komplex modulator can be polyphonic.
Is that true?
If so, that is nuts! :heart_eyes:

I know the LFO’s “only” go to 100Hz, but the fact that they can be polyphonic is really cool.
Crazy that there are 6 of them per layer. :drooling_face:

2 Likes

My last video is using the Komplex Modulator to polyphonically modulate the “WT Spectrum” param.

• When the X-axis is at minimum, it’s set to Curve A which modulates between semi-tone values of: -12/ 0/ 12.
  • When the X-axis is at maximum, it’s set to Curve B which modulates between semitone values of: -7, 0, 7

This involved a bit of maths given the WT Spectrum param’s range is -60 semis to +60 semis, and mod depths are percentage based.

1 Like

ok, i did it, yesterday i pulled the trigger, so mine will arrive at the end of October

3 Likes

Noticed this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/nlogmusic/status/1309908542686715904?s=21

2 Likes