Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

yes,… for me maybe next year

1 Like

Me to!

1 Like

Iridium in a different musical contexts:

2 Likes

Waldorfs everywhere

4 Likes

A nice review…

4 Likes

Added a video on things I think are cool so far:

10 Likes

cool!

1 Like

Nice! Thank you! I am still waiting for mine, but now i know i can prepare patches on Nave for it. very nice! That Special Kernel Mode is very nifty too.

UPDATE: Got it yesterday. Wow!

1 Like

Is Iridium just a Nave vst in a box? Just wondering…
Anyone used both?

I’ve used the iPad version of Nave and the Iridium, and the Iridium is orders of magnitude more capable.

The best overview I’ve seen so far is loopops video.

Quantum / Iridium did start with Nave according to Rolf Wohrmann, but the dedicated hardware allowed them to go far beyond it.

It can import DX7 patches, does that also make it “just a DX7 in a box?” :slight_smile:

One core difference is the 5 synthesis engines that can be used for each oscillator.

Wavetable - Nave can do this
Waveform - Nave has limited capabilities here
Particle - Iridium only
Resonator - Iridium only
Kernels - Iridium only

There are many other things like the filters section, digital former, osc routing, sequencer, 6 LFOs (all of which can be polyphonic) etc. it goes on and on. It’s just a much much bigger thing.

6 Likes

A little factory preset showcase demo from me. 3 tracks Iridium (2x sequencer loop, 1x pad sound) and 2 tracks Digitone (bass + additional arp).

Some tweaked factory presets, nothing really custom done here, except that i tweaked the factory patch “BT Universe Loop” live while recording, and also recorded it twice into Live, to get a Steve Reich effect.
The Digitone bass, is also a factory preset, that i tweaked a bit, to bring it more to the foreground.

4 Likes

Added a video on filter basics for the Iridium

6 Likes

Some of my favourite presets on this monster.

3 Likes

Very nice. Youtube compression doesn’t do it justice though (I hope :slight_smile:) .

2 Likes

i finally got my baby before New Year

I’m impressed, overwhelmed, satisfied - this one will hold for ages

it sounds amazing digital, seems to me like a synthesizerdesktopworkstation

currently i try to recreate the patches I’ve made with the Blofeld but the Iridium is a quite different beast

the oscillator-section is unbelievable, in some cases like a synth within a synth with one (!) oscillator

the only thing I’m not sure what to do with is the particle-engine, i guess it depends on the used samples

the sequencer is quite interesting with its parameter-lanes for all those crazy modulation, the komplexer with it’s curves and shapes is like a modulation-festival-timeline

and then there is the animation of the envelopes, and the frequency-spectrum and and and

btw i cannot understand the fuzz about the filters by some people on the web - some want filter 1 & 2 with a serial routing, but there is the digital former which can be routed differently (parallel or serial to F1/2

it will take me some serious efforts to understand the basic principle of sound-design with this machine - not unexpected

the workflow is not new to me, that is Waldorf-logic, so I’m right into it

the sound-signature is Waldorf, no doubt

built-quality: very high - sturdy, knobs are in line, not wobbly and the buttons are fitting very well in the chassis

my wishes are:

• an editor (don’t want to twist knobs like mad - maybe someone has the skills to programm one
  • some additional parameters on the reverb-page like on the Elektrons (high and low-cut)

I’m sure in time i will get some more ideas on what is missing but at the moment I’m incapable expressing every single thought

12 Likes

Must get one soon :grin:

The whistle/breathy noise evokes a humanlike, organic spirit that has been altered.

1 Like

I’ve got my heart set on it now.

Going to spend a little of my inheritance on one.(invest/re-train with the rest) But this will be a keepsake and something to learn and explore in memory of my lovely mum.

This demo sealed the deal.

7 Likes

I guess I could run this very first patch in combination with the generative features of the NDLR in the background all day long …

Good question, I remember nave quite fondly.

And it’s been answered, as i just saw now.