Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Kinda. I had researched the Iridium pretty heavily in the past - as I said, I even built a Kyma synth that was initially inspired by it. At the time, I couldn’t justify the price for something I knew was redundant. However, that b-stock price was just too good not to try it out for myself, and ultimately, I just don’t need it.

2 Likes

Fair enough - I’m sure you’ll get back what you paid for it, or possibly make a little profit :blush:

1 Like

Ha ha, not likely. I’ve offered it for less than I spent. I consider it a rental fee for getting a chance to try it out for a few days.

2 Likes

I can imagine that and just wondering how the upgrade would be from Kyma X - Capy320 to Kyma 7 - Pacamara Ristretto Pro APU.

I have the Quantum for sale to get the mk2… but instead I also could go for next level Kyma or maybe something different, like the Eventide H9000

One thing is major important and that’s 7.1 sound and later on Dolby Atmos.

So far I have time to think about it and what I like the most so far is working with Soundminer’s Radium (soft) sampler that could handle polyphonic wav files. Yep… I am more or less more active in the DAW :sweat_smile:

That would be quite a leap. I still have my old Capybara 320, though I haven’t powered it up for years. I haven’t had a chance to set up the new Pacamara Ristretto Pro, but from everything I’ve heard, it’s a significant improvement over the Pacarana (with which I’ve never hit the wall).

The Quantum/Iridium is a different kettle of fish entirely. Kyma is great, but dedicated hardware is always more immediate. :+1:

2 Likes

yeah thanks a lot Scot. you had me watching demos of a synth I had no intention of ever seriously checking out. excellent price but unfortunately bad timing for me. someone needs to jump on it!

loved this demo:

2 Likes

Pulled the trigger on this. I have been gassing for the keyboard for months after but this is probably about 60% of the import price into the US and will give me a good idea of the workflow.

Honestly I feel a little silly buying it like I’d be better off just learning pigments inside and out. It will come down to if the Waldorf UI is more inspiring than working in software. Unfortunately UI is very hard to get an idea of for me until you use it in context with the rest of the studio.

I told my wife I had a dilemma that there was something I wanted to buy on sale and have enough gear to sell to cover it but can’t flip those things before the deal is over. She said just sell the stuff after and I told her there was a risk I will end up keeping everything, to which she responded, give yourself a deadline to decide what to sell.

It does look like they accept returns in 7 days so plan to dedicate some late nights to deciding if I like it more than other things I know better but am not using. Worst case I am sure it will find a good home elsewhere at this price, not concerned about making money here.

3 Likes

Didn’t see that anyone posted this so sharing. A bit expensive, but could be helpful for someone heavily into the sampling aspect.

2 Likes

I saw that but damn is it expensive for what it does… I wish Waldorf would have just made this process easier on the device itself. I definitely like the Iridium, but there are certain aspects like this one (and the implementation of the pad grid) that I find frustrating.

2 Likes

Yes, importing samples (which I have yet to do, other than buying preset packs that come with samples) and the pads are my two biggest complaints in an otherwise stellar machine.

1 Like

I really like this. I think Waldorf should do what Korg did with the Wavestate–offer Iridium/Quantum owners a discount on Sample Robot (maybe 50% off).

Edit: I realized after watching the video that SampleRobot is not a Waldorf product. I still wonder if they could work with the company behind SampleRobot to come up with some kind of deal (apparently they did this with Korg so there is a Korg-specific version of SampleRobot).

1 Like

Anyone have a bag recommendation for the desktop version?

I need to store it since my second office desk works a lot of different jobs ( mini painting station, guitar pedal station, synth recording station ) and having a nice little bag to keep it safe would be nice.

This fits my Kyra perfectly. I think Kyra’s the exact same dimensions as Iridirum.

2 Likes

Been having an issue with my Iridium. Over usb midi, I keep getting stuck notes! Happens in both Ableton and Bitwig.

Has anyone conquered this issue in the past?

Are you sending it really short notes?
I’ve had the issue sending them from a mpc. No issues sending from my Hapax…

I have discovered that midi out works flawlessly, so I’ll just use that instead.

Must just be a bad usb midi impl. Annoying!

I am having an odd issue with my recently arrived Iridium Desktop. I cannot seem to save patches…I am trying to follow the manual but when I arrive at the point where I need to choose the slot to save in, the touch screen keeps showing only a “Cancel” option, no matter which slot I choose with the main dial. Hitting the physical “Save” button at this point seems to just take me out of the Save screen altogether. What the hell am I doing wrong? Has anyone else had issues with this? Might be a dumb user error. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Okay. That was dumb. I think I figured out where I went wrong. Ugh. Cost me my first preset since I panicked and rebooted to see if that resolved it. The popup that appears when you have been editing an Init patch lets you know that you need to choose a slot location in which to save the patch. I thought I had to choose a save point and then click Save - with that dialog open. Apparently you need to CLOSE that dialog (with the oddly named Cancel button) and then do as told. Partial “I am an idiot” error, but also a pretty confusing UI choice.

2 Likes

I did a very similar thing, and lost the first patch I made. Btw If you touch the bottom blank area in the save dialog it pops up a number pad so you can go to a specific numbered slot.
Why it’s blank is very odd as it’s more like an Easter egg than part of the UI.

Thanks - I was literally struggling with this last night!

From Rolf:
Hey All,

gears are moving:

3.0 beta 16 for Quantum, Iridium Desktop and Iridium Keyboard has been released with some fixes and improvements.

Please see full change list below. Highlights are the new Osc Mixer screen, a new unipolar LFO option, Quantum
gain staging adapted to 16 voices and the step sequencer has been increased to up to 64 steps.

If you haven’t got your email, please contact support@waldorfmusic.com

Cheers
Rolf

3.0 Beta 16:

New Features:

• Wavetable Osc

• Reorganizing some parameters into new “Mode” sub-screen

• Now all parameters from hardware pots also available at display

• Resonator Osc

• Reorganizing some parameters into new “Exciter” sub-screen

• Now all parameters from hardware pots also available at display

• Oscs

• New “Mix” Screen providing levels, pans and desitinations for all 3 oscs

• “Control” renamed to “Pitch & Tools”

• Sequencer

• New popup selector styles for quick access

• Increased maximum step count from 32 to 64

• Samples

• “Mods only” option for “Track Pitch” in sample map

• “Track Pitch” sample options also for Particle Osc

• LFOs

• New “polarity” parameter for unipolar option

• Gain Staging

• The Quantum gain staging has been adjusted to new increased polyphony of 16

• Encoder Menu

• New popup selector styles for quick access

Bug Fixes:

FS#1700 - Missing wavetable from patch with high waveform counts
FS#1802 - Quantum-specific gain staging issue with more voices
FS#1829 - export patches incl. samples - samples are not in the designated folder
FS#1591 - Export all Patches with samples doesn’t work

• Step sequencer step-recording with external MIDI devices has been fixed when those
    devices send Note On with velocity 0 instead of Note Off messages
9 Likes