Waldorf M

Yes – that was the context where “Stammtisch” was used in a post, and that’s all I wanted to explain.

1 Like

Waldorf pushed an update today thats got elektrons working with it properly now, it responds to pattern change instantly so you can do some nice sort of choked chords of various patches which sounds awesome :slight_smile:

Doesn’t respond to bank change though what was it again that digitakt leaves out of a bank change message that some synths don’t like?

I suppose it isn’t much of a deal, plenty of banks to work with and you can just load all the patches you want into one bank and back it up to an SD card.

3 Likes

FW : System FW 1.04

• fixed Note On Velocity 0 bug

• fixed Slave ClockGen Start bug

• fixed STM32Bootloader entry bug (auto-restart added)

• fixed CC Expression bug

• fixed Program Change bug

• fixed ARP midi channel bug

• fixed GlobalLFO retrig on Midi Clock start bug

• Refactored clock processing in the slave mode

FW : DSP 1.03

• fixed sustain Sustain pedal processing for VCF/VCA envelopes
  • added proper retrigger of VCF envelope (to delay, preserving the magnitude)
  • added proper retrigger of VCA envelope (to attack, preserving the magnitude)
  • fixed retrigger in case of voice stealing of sounding in-release note
  • fixed reset of GlobalLFO phase on MIDI Clock Start

Recommendation: Do first System FW Update, then DSP Update.

4 Likes

I started working today on my next album. While working on custom patches, i decided to do another musical testing M video. Enjoy.

8 Likes

The Digitakt has been fixed so that it can send out either or both the MSB and LSB of the MIDI Bank Select message. You just need to find out what has been implemented (so far) on the M.

Oh, never realized that got fixed. I ended up getting in touch with the developer and bank change via midi is not yet implemented.

1 Like

So if I am reading this correctly, using this in multi-timbre you can save multiple sounds/patches as part of your multi-timbrel “set” but if you had edited any of those patches later on it carried over into that set?

Yes.

1 Like

Im checking youtube every day for new Waldorf M demo’s. I feel like someone needs to step up! hehe. Would love to see a basic walkthrough of different wavetables. And user wavetables. :slight_smile:

Not sure when i will get mine. I was told it might arrive in the end of october, but the Waldorf guy that posts on GS said something about the next batch is a month or so away.

1 Like

Could this problem be overcome by saving the patch as a new patch under a different name rather than saving changes to the original patch?

I think I do understand where you are coming from. It’s convenient on Elektron devices to edit sounds within the pattern while they still retain the same patch name.

Yes simply use a different name. The multi just saves the link to a preset.

2 Likes

I received a Waldorf M last friday. It seems solid built, good general quality, the sound is very good but I am not convinced I like it.

I always desired a waldorf synth for they gritty sound and this seemed the opportunity, but considering the price of this synth I am not sure it worth. So yesterday I received a Blofeld desktop to make few tests.
Spent last night trying to compare the sounds, single wavetable, filters completely open/bypassed, only the raw sound.
With some wavetables (clipper, etc) the sound is almost identical to me, both units connected with a ferrofish/rme soundcard.
Some other wavetables, on the M have more “character” with aliasing and lo-fi-sh nuances, they sounds more open, generally more pleasant, but I was able to come very near to the M sound, with the blofeld and Dent2 VST (just to make a quick test).
I think, nobody should be able to notice any difference, in sound, in a finished track.

I don’t like very much the panel layout, those 4 encoders below the display make difficult/impossible to view the display if the synth lays flat or slightly angled.
The preset knob must be rotated very slow, it seems the MCU can’t keep up with the encoder data, not a good sign…
The wave envelope is a nightmare to use, very anti intuitive, I was never able to design the envelope I had in mind, I gave up.
The display UI information sometimes are very small, I am not a fan of the UI in general.

I don’t know if I am missing something but I probably will send the M back and I will keep the blofeld. In the future I may reconsider to buy the M

10 Likes

i just had that with the korg modwave, but i have already sold the blofeld. personally i decided to go with hardware, then only analog or digital effects and samplers like the OT. these digital synths can nowadays easily be imitated with the DAW and I think these hardware devices are more for people who have too much money and just like to play with the knobs. or people who want to do a little something outside of the DAW with a cheap synth. I see it completely differently with analogue sound … there are a lot of differences of opinion here, but to me it still sounds completely different than with the DAW. even effects such as the eventide space sound much better in my ears.
and of course you may not hear that on some tracks at the end of what was used here if it was a good mixer person, but you still have to mix much less with analog stuff.

if you e.g. Hear a video with the OB6 and turn it up loud, no matter which one … then there is nothing that hurts in the ear. it just sounds good and good from the ground up. if i do that at digital synth, there is always something that bothers me. there are certain frequencies that you can’t just cut like that, because then the character is gone from the sound anyway.

but as I said, that’s my personal opinion. And I’ve already bought a lot back and forth and keep coming back to this decision.

with the rytm I find that it is difficult to get really good sounding sounds here too, but the analog sounds are still powerful. and i think once you’ve found the sweetspots, this machine is a dream.

2 Likes

yes, I agree. In fact I included in the comparison the PPG soft synth from Waldorf too. I must admit for the few wavetables I tested the sound was very close if not identical to the M (the M filter was completely open).

Also agree about the Soft synths sound quality but I don’t like Soft synths, I don’t know why.
If I had to make music for living I probably used almost only Soft synths, but I do this for hobby and I like to have the physical device.
Regarding FXs it is the opposite I like more VSTs than hardware, I find it easier to mix/master. It is also a lot cheaper.

1 Like

Yeah there is kind of a reason that really deep envelopes mostly disappeared from synths, still about 1000x easier to use than on old gear that didn’t give you knobs or even a graphic to adjust your 16stage envelopes. I think the sound especially when you play lower octaves or use the drive bug is something incredibly hard to recreate but yeah realistically no one but the artist is going to really care about that sort of thing in a finished track but this is true of all hardware, it’s a expensive synth so you better love it if you want to keep it. For me PPG 2.3 was always up there for dream synth and this I think surpasses it. One thing for me if I load up an init patch turn on poly and give the VCA a little release it is already a patch I find inspiring, which for me atleast is not the case for the blofelds basic patches using the same wavetables. But yeah if I wasn’t 100% into the M I would be considering selling at its cost.

On other news the just pushed another update on the M, including patch randomization with % settings for different parameters, new note on modulation sources of Random, inverse -/+, coinflip 0/+ which are some great features imo.

4 Likes

Wondering has anyone tried M with Elektron sequencer (like Digitakt… )?

How does it responds to CC p-locks?

Is it possible to change Programs per step without notable delay?

I wanted to try that…but my Digitone is still in repair…

1 Like

I haven’t messed with the CC p-locks yet but have done the program changes and it keeps up nicely no noticeable delay but it does cut off note tails when it loads up the new program, it still sounds good to me though and a bit of FX can help blend it if you aren’t after the hard cuts.

*There are 8 dedicated CCs that you can set as mod sources so you can set up CC based macros that effect many things at once which is pretty neat.

1 Like

Nice to know! Still waiting to get more info and try one in person, but seems it would be perfect module for me.

1 Like

I totally feel you!
After tonight session I lean towards the M :smile: :smile:

While the single waveform sounds are very similar, with the M it is a lot easier to come with a nice patch…

The M is a very niche device and this is something I appreciate. It should complement well with the Virus TI in my digital department (replacing the digitone).

I still have few days to decide, will see…

2 Likes