Waldorf M

What is the waveterm stuff all about? I actually rarely have to throw my hands up at this point in my synth life, but I have zero clue. Drum samples?

Ahemā€¦

This is called Quantum and can be already purchasedā€¦

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QuantumKB--waldorf-quantum-8-voice-hybrid-synth

Sorry, I had the Blofeld numerous times over the years, as Desktop and keyboard version in black and white, and i own the M now for several monthsā€¦and they do not sound similar at all. M is fuller and richer, earthy sounding, while the Blo is rather thin, clinically German understated sounding, and hard. Check Jexus Blofeld videos on YT, he worked out the Blo character pretty good.

Iridium blows the M away in any department

True, but also the Iridium sounds much more Hi-Fi than M, and offers a lot of synthesisā€™s, while the M is focused on one thing, but that extremely well. I have both here, and they are not really much overlap soundwise, but add to each other. Waldorf is having a rum if you ask me. Check out my Bandcamp. I used the Iridium and M all over it in my past four releases.

1 Like

Ha, the drum talk threw me too and made me realise the Waveterm is pretty much a total blind spot for me. I can remember briefly reading about it before but I know Iā€™m definitely not fully grasping the possibilites for the M, all I know for sure is Iā€™ve now got something to do with the folder of Waveterm stuff I have on my hard drive beyond loading them into Pigments and thinking ā€˜this really isnā€™t workingā€™.

Whoa! Vlad packed a LOT of cool stuff in there! Bit reduction, transitions, different filterā€¦whoa, whoa! :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

If they sounded identical I had 1400+ in my wallet now :wink:

The engine is different, the filter is different, the VCA is different. The price is different.

Anyway I recorded a demo with Ableton Live of some waveform from both Blofeld and M, for me they are very very very similar. Adding some VSTā€™s to the blofeld, make it more similar to M.
In a track I think it is impossible to distinguish which one is which.

If you have money and if youā€™re looking for the microwave sound the M is better. I have the M.

I bought and sold the Blofeld like whatā€¦five times? along the years. I always wanted to like its sound and I literally never was able to create any track with. The sound always left me unsatisfied.
With the Mā€¦.bam bam bamā€¦I constantly come up with something I like. I think itā€™s more musical sounding, less analytical, although many people seem to like the Blo, and itā€™s still on the market, so why not spend less money, if one likes the sound?

1 Like

I think you nailed it here. M is one huge sweetspot, like a Moog or Sequential or Vermona synth. Excellent job done by Waldorf.

3 Likes

Any kind of sample! 22khz, 16 Bit Mono samples. Amazing feature! So basically we can now turn M into a fully customized synth. You can layer sounds in multimode, and still have Osc 1 fully available and use on each voice a different filter too. Bam! So cool!

4 Likes

Yeah, going back to the Waveterm stuff I have on my hard drive (from here, which Vlad also linked to in the release notes) theyā€™re much more like conventional samples than wavetables as such, though I guess some of this approach is a little bit of a grey area between those two things at times.

Pretty huge possibilities thoughā€¦ First thing that came to mind for me was using the samples as attack transients combined with oscillator 1 doing itā€™s own thing to make some mad PPG/Roland D-50 hybrid but Iā€™m sure thatā€™s only the tip of the iceberg! Being able to loop and/or reverse the samples tooā€¦ Man.

4 Likes

Damn now I need to study up on the new waveterm features, seems like a lot going on in the update :)ā€¦ the new bit reduction mode in modern also sounds like it is going to be tasty.

1 Like

Not to mention all the digital filter modelsā€¦

Btw here are some pictures from inside the M. you can see there the red sockets for the future voicecard upgrade. (Scroll down) There are already five M with 16 voices out there, that are getting tested intensively at the moment, so Till told.

https://till-kopper.de/waldorf-m.html

2 Likes

The waveterm stuff makes this even more dungeon synthy! Iā€™m also pretty sure Legowelt has two. Fantastic stuff.

2 Likes

yeah the vocal/choral transient samples are great from the waveterm libraryā€¦ they very much remind me of the Akira soundtrack, I always heard people say they used D50 but really some of the waveterm sounds are very spot on.

4 Likes

Wow, that is huge! Iā€™m closing in on trading my XTā€¦ :wink: Iā€™m still not sure how more convenient the wavetable import is. Itā€™s a pita on the xt.

ItĀ“s easier implemented on the M, but still not really simple clickĀ“nĀ“drop like for the Arturia Microfreak. On GS is a great decription.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t seem super fun on the M either from reading the GS thread, but it might just be a case of getting the exact format right once then youā€™re away and know how to do it again. Stuff like WaveEdit is all new to me but itā€™s something else that should be interesting to learn about.

Having said that Iā€™m sort of in the mindset of ā€˜get to know the synth as it is then by the time I know what I want to add to it maybe someone will have made a convenient tool for the lazyā€™.

I managed to get a few minutes messing around with the other new features, itā€™s low-ish audio rates with the fast LFO but the VCFs sound wonderful being FMā€™d - so splatty!

What I really love is now you have all the beautiful sounds everyone fell for if you stick to the front panel and a whole other world of absolutely disgusting possibilities by going off the beaten track into the menu pages. Putting 2-bit waves into say, the sine-shaped digital filter which is being FMā€™d then catching that super gross resonance with the VCF which is also being FMā€™d and baby, you a stew goinā€™.

You can definitely get it to the point where it makes almost no difference what the actual wavetable part of the synth is doing.

Thereā€™s so much to explore here even before adding your own wavetables or thinking about the fact itā€™s now a gritty sampler. Absolutely in love with it.

3 Likes

Anyone sequencing one of these with a Digitone? Anyone using one of these as a multitrack extension of a sequential sequencer? Thatā€™s my main idea behind getting an M but I want to see if there are any headaches or issues.

Pause

Could it be an M keyboard version ?

2 Likes

Currently the multi mode does have a few workflow annoyances, like you needing to bounce into the regular mode to make permanent edits to a sound and having to make a duplicate of a slightly edited sound of you use it elsewhere but it sounds like vlad is going to try to work on that :crossed_fingers: I would say buy it knowing currently the multi mode is a bit of an old school implementation though.

1 Like