Waldorf M

A couple of questions for M owners: I’ve read through part of the thread about the M on Gearspace and I’m not sure about a few of the concepts / functions.

Transitions: Are these primarily intended to imitate interpolation i.e. smooth transitions between sample in a wavetable? I see that user samples can be loaded as transitions. But am I right? transitions only work in classic mode? If used as single cycle waves, what can you do with transitions that you can’t with wavetables?

When in multimbral mode, can each of the 4 voices be in different modes, 1st Classic, 2nd Modern, etc?

Does anyone have tips for creating wavetables to load to the M? Which software do you use?

Would be much appreciate it if you could enlighten me.

Transitions are a feature that the old PPG waveterms had. Its actually samples. So you can import samples and use those in combination with one oscillator. Really gritty lofi samples. Not the smoothest workflow, but it adds to the feature list.

In modern mode you can now have a “smoothing” on wavetables. That morphs between waves. So you can have a wavetable sith 64 completely different waves, and get them to sound smooth. Perfect for long evolving patches.

In multimode you can have one patch running in modern mode. Rest must be classic mode.

Ive tried the audioterm software and serum. Serum is the easiest to use. The demo version lets you export the correct format that the M uses. But in 256 wave format. You can just import it with a skip option.

5 Likes

Many thanks @thomaso

Just made a down payment on a Waldorf M.
900 dollars under retail as it was an open box but hasn’t even been taken out of its plastic wrapping so I couldn’t resist.
I recently got an UDO super 6 as well which I’ve decided to try and swap for a desktop model so I can do most of my playing through a linnstrument or other sequencer.

4 Likes

Someone said it would be possible to save the individual sounds in multi mode with the new 1.08 firmware. Any idea how? I just updated but the latest manual has no mention of it

Are you on 1.08 RC6?

Yes I am

Try shift+store

1 Like

Cool thanks. Will try that

Love my new Virus TI2 but in the future, I do want a Waldorf to complement that and my Oberheim. What Waldorf model would be good with these synths that don’t overlap?

1 Like

Are you saying OB-X8?

1 Like

I would say the M is the most characterful of the modern Waldorf line, Virus wavetables don’t really sound too much like Waldorf wavetables so I wouldn’t worry so much about that. Especially with the focus on uninterpolated/raw wavetables on the M. Iridium seems like a nice choice also, lots of different options there are bound to get unique results also.

2 Likes

yes sir I bought an Oberheim OB X8 last year and it arrived a few days ago. Super awesome!

right on year will save up for a year or so. That gives me a solid year or two to build tracks on the Virus, Oberheim OB X8, Rytm MK2 and Digitone. Tonite I made some dark wave recordings just on the Virus TI2. The Virus does some amazing bass, drums, pads for dark wave, trance, synth wave and industrial that are tricky to get on the modulars and Elektron gear. I can get house and techno easy on modular and Electron gear but that trance and dark wave is tricky to do before I got my Virus!

1 Like

Unfortunately that just deletes the arrangement

SHIFT+OK to save multi and sounds OK to save only multi.

ooops, sorry!

1 Like

That worked :blush: thank you :pray:

So, I have a strange multi mode bug on new 1.08.

Voice 1 has the correct pitch while 2-4 is tuned differently. 2-4 is always tuned the same way but the interval varies from test to test.

I went back to 1.07 again and here everything is functioning normal again. Reinstalled 1.08 Still same issue.

Anyone experienced this?
Do you think there is anything I can do or just wait for a bug fix.

I think I read about someone having the same issue before I upgraded but I can’t find that now

I have some weird things in multimode, sometimes changing some parameters doesn’t works, even starting with 4 init patches. Plus other small things I never investigated further on.
I gave up on multi, it’s limited and not reliable, I consider the M as a non-multitimbral, tired of debugging and experimenting.

2 Likes