Waldorf M

Thanks for this, I haven’t played around with the digital filter’s much, you got me messing around with them and a whole new world opened up lol. Would you mind sharing the modulation settings you are using for the digivcf on that patch?

Really is a wonderful synth.

3 Likes

Love the sounds!

2 Likes

It’s funny, I’ve had two XTs, one XT-30, and an XTk, and I gave them such thorough design workouts when I had them. They always impressed me constantly. It’s still in my top 3-5 synths.

However, the M is just magic in a little metal box. Where I took hours on a patch with the XT, I can take 20-30 minutes on the M and just drool over the sounds coming out.

I’ve known people with the Wave and uWave1, and knowing the sounds, the M is somehow more than all of the above, even though it’s more in some ways and less in others on paper.

It just does things :wink:

I may have grown a bit since I had all the others, (or contact in the case of Wave and uWave) but I can relatively instantly get something out of the M that just knocks me out of my chair.

I’ve also had MiniWaves with ALL ROMs, Creamware Scopes with Solaris, software wavetables, Blofelds, Qs, and many others, but, nothing quite like the M.

I imagine the 3rd Wave would be similar, and I hope to grab one some day, but the M…

(Mwah (with finger gesture))

9 Likes

By the way, if anyone else has a problem with the leds at the bottom of the M (the ones in the envelope section and the lfo section) blinding them I found these super helpful:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855919-REG/LIGHT_DIMS_001_Original_Strength_LightDims.html

I found even when lowering the M’s led brightness setting all the way the bottom leds were still too bright while it made the buttons too dim, so I went ahead and tried these instead.

4 Likes

looks like i didnt do anything crazy with the digital filter on this particular patch, but experimenting with the S&H-HP dvcf with varible cutoff/res/extra can make for some insane sounds

on this patch, it looks like i just used the LP12 set very low and used the same Wave envelope that’s modulating the wavetables & the analog filter to open up the dvcff cutoff as well. that probaly has something to do with the ultra compressed frequencies that all roll open together. 3 sources all being filtered out then opening back up with the same modulation, which is the wave envelope looping with the time mod being automated by the global lfo

Here are the dvcf mod page screenshots:

Summary

I exported this patch for you, if you want to try it. assuming you dont have anything you don’t want to lose in Bank 15, i saved the patch to my Bank 15.

sbank0015 (128 KB)

its the only patch in that bank. so
if you put this in your sd card (root directory),
put the card in the M,
open/Recall an empty preset in Bank 15,
click Sound/System encoder,
click “LFO” button at the top,
scroll down to “Load Current Bank (from SD)”,
and click “OK”,
it should load just this patch to your Bank 15. Remember to engage the “SYNC”" button periodically if you want the exact same effect i got in that recording

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks so much, I will definitely check it out!

1 Like

For the life of me, I cannot get initialize a random sound patch using SHIFT + CANCEL. I’ve gone into settings page 5 and set “Enable MOD RndInit” to yes. I’ve even set the RndInit spread on each parameter according to the suggestions in the manual. What am I missing? Please help.

1 Like

Shift+Cancel+Recall

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response, @tdel00, I read the directions too literally and pressed SHIFT + CANCEL…and…then…CONFIRM. i.e., pressed confirm separately. facepalm.

1 Like

Where is the bit crusher?

1 Like

Lol me too, I just gave up thinking it was bugged. Glad you posted now I can get some random patch action too!

The bit crushing is a parameter called DEREZ, forget exactly what menu it is under. It only works in modern mode.

3 Likes

Thanks! I found DEREZ in the Tweaks section of the Oscillator menu. Nice.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting so much info about the M and the great patches. I recently read your posts on the Peak thread + your thoughts and the fact that you re-bought the M is another endorsement of its sonic quality. Like you, Rareo’s demos grabbed me big time. Do post more if and when you have the time and will.

1 Like

Thanks, I actually tried the peak a second time and ended up liking it a little more after I understood it better and stopped trying to treat it like an analog polysynth, like the sequentials I was used to. So I do think it’s a unique synth and very good at certain sounds that you can’t really get elsewhere

The M has this real grit that makes it feel organic like an analog synth but it also goes even deeper than that, giving you the ability to extrapolate these alien textures while retaining a physical, natural timbre

Now I’m working on how to wrangle in the regular 2 envelopes, to better understand their behavior and how to bend them the way I want in order to shape the overall sound. My goal now is to figure out how to make it sound like an alien classical instrument. So if anyone has any techniques for emulating brass or woodwind extended techniques like fluttering or other expressive playing styles, feel free to share them with me.

I can’t apply all of the tactics I’m used to since this one is so special in its functionality, but I’m trying to learn how to best make the whole patch sound like it’s being pushed through a saxophone or rifled through a clarinet. Like making the sound bend through time with vca and filter modulation, except more wave-oriented. Looping wave envelope is obviously nice for this, but I’d also like to get a better grip on making the lfo shapes work for me so I can sum modulation sources for more “human” kinetic energy

3 Likes

been messing around with the wave env as well. maybe more like stumbling around lol. this is a few different loops from M which i’m controlling on the looper (EHX 95000). lots of wave modulation going on with additional modulation from Digitakt. Also manually messing with Key off and loop start points.

4 Likes

Following up on the voice upgrade thread: Korg sent out email invitations to sign up for the upgrade on the Korg Warehouse Reverb site. Looks like these sold out really quickly—between the time the email hit my inbox and I clicked on it, they were already gone. The upgrade does require shipping the unit to a service center.

1 Like

I’d love to just do it myself. I am sure there is a lot less of a chance of me messing it up than shipping it across the country, having some random tech do it, then shipping it back across the country. And the turnaround time would be 30min instead of god knows what with korg… months maybe?

Dang that is pretty annoying, they didn’t even email me even though I signed up… not that I would send them my M to upgrade it anyways I suppose. Can’t help but feel that Korg is horribly mishandling distribution of the Waldorf stuff. I hope Waldorf rethinks their relationship with Korg.

2 Likes

There are 10 boards in stock on Reverb at the moment, at the Korg USA shop. EDIT: Follow the link in Jefferymac’s post above.

Yes, there were none earlier today. But right now they’re back.

1 Like

Agreed.

Does anyone have installation instructions for the card? IIRC, at least one European synth person on another forum self-installed, so it’s possible.

The tradeoff is that doing the work yourself voids the warranty, which isn’t ideal for those of us who paid full U.S. price to GET a warranty … but it might be worth it.