Waldorf M

I’ll second that!

1 Like

looks like:

-Modern Mode

-Wave 1: Parks of Bonn

-Wave 2: Niederzissen

sorry, i made it last night and i can’t remember exactly what the process was. but most of the magic in general i think is in the wave envelope. i spend most of my time there, fine tuning it then assigning it to waves and sometimes other destinations, sometimes inverted and combined with other modulation sources. with the wave envelope, i almost always find loop points and loop it. then i go back one page and set the time mod source to MAX and then bring the depth into the negative to increase the speed of the loop manually. i find that recursive modulation for exponential shapes doesnt work as nicely as in some other synth’s i’ve used but it is worth experimenting with for various results

one thing i am doing in that recording is holding down a single chord and i periodically switch the Hard Sync on and then back off again, which results in the octave change. I wonder if there is a way to automate/modulate the sync behavior. that would be cool

let me know if you have any specific questions and ill see if i can go into a little more detail

if anyone has any tips, im also interested in really learning how to shape the wave envelope, rather than kind of trial and error that im doing now. the time/level stages kind of elude me in this particular design and i dont think the screen gives an extremely accurate representation. but i love everything about it.

7 Likes

I was just coming on here to see if anyone has any tips about the wave envelope. I’ve had my M for a while and it’s still my main area of confusion. I always manage to make something that works through trial and error (like you say) but it would be nice to be a bit more methodical.

1 Like

i was also wondering if maybe the mystery is what makes it so fun and satisfying to explore, but i think i really would like to understand it a little better

finally experimenting with the sh&hpf dvcf too and that thing with variable cutoff/reso/extra and the modulations within is so insane

1 Like

Thé way I’ve understood it better is by reading the Microwave 1 manual. It’s just the same and it’s well explained there.

I believe I linked that in that thread, earlier.

The first thing to understand (in case you haven’t figured out, I hadn’t!) is that there is a parameters to define which of the 8 stages is the last one played, and the default is 2, so stages 3 to 8 do nothing.

2 Likes

Here it is.

2 Likes

I want to say how the time parameters scales is also a bit unusual. Using time mod can result in some really unpredictable results… feels a bit like an envelope you would normally only seen in modular to me.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! You’re right - The Microwave 1 manual is so much better, at least in terms of the envelope descriptions. I was totally misunderstanding the way the key off point worked (key off is the point that the envelope sustains). It also makes sense that the default is key off at stage 2, because that gives you a basic ADSR if segment 3 level is set to 0 (segment 1 is attack, segment 2 time is decay, segment 2 level is sustain, and segment 3 time is release). So with a key off point of 2, segments 3-8 do actually do something, but only on release.

I also didn’t understand that you could loop the release phase by creating a loop in front of the key off point. Very cool. So with key off at 2, looping on, and a loop point set to 3, segments 3-8 will loop after the release of a key/note. I just fired up an init patch to test this out and it works exactly as the Microwave 1 manual says.

I wonder why they didn’t just reuse the text from the Microwave 1 manual for the M manual (at least for the sections that function the same)? It really is so much clearer.

3 Likes

So good. Especially the first patch. That alone is cementing my plans of this being the next synth I’ll be buying somewhere in the distant future.

2 Likes

Same for me.

2 Likes

The “M” must be for “magic”, or maybe “my next synth”. Likely both :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So, the verdict here is that Multitimbrality has issues or only under certain circumstances?

It seems like this mode may have a few minor issues. They’ve all been brought up over in the Gearspace thread where the developer frequents, so I’m sure they’ll all be addressed at some point.

Honestly, even though I thought I was going to do a bunch of multi-timbral work with it using the four parts of my DNK to control it all, I haven’t even touched multi mode yet. Really not sure when I will actually. The synth is so huge and complex sounding that I’ve really left any additional parts I need to my other synths. I love having the full panel dedicated to the current sound that I’m using while playing, so paging back and forth while recording (even with the ease of use the DNK would provide in this scenario) seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

Other people of course will have differing opinions on how critical this is.

I eventually want to be able to do it, especially once I get the voice expansion for mine, but so far, it’s had zero impact on using the synth.

Vlad is definitely paying attention to users and their issues though, so like I said, it will likely all be resolved in time.

4 Likes

Heads up for anyone in the US waiting for news on the voice expansion card: I bugged Korg support last week and go an email response that indicated they expect them to arrive in the States “within this month”. So, some time in the next week!?

2 Likes

Thank you @J3RK!

1 Like

Korg or Waldorf?

Korg is the distributor in the US, they deal with expansion cards.

4 Likes

Good to know, thank you @amaury!

I should say, for anyone in the US thinking of grabbing these from Juno, if you email them and tell them you’re interested in buying, they will send you a promo code. In my instance, it was for 30 euros off and free FedEx shipping, which brought the price down to $1401.57 total. I haven’t even had to pay vat, but I think that may be because FedEx bills you afterward, which is nice and convenient. Dhl just alerts you the day of the shipment and you can pay online before it’s delivered but this was even easier

The Juno price fluctuates but never significantly, and the free shipping is a massive help. Under $1500 for the M is an insane price imho

3 Likes

programming the M really brings out the rhythmic texture element of sound design for me

the low end is my favorite part

12 Likes