Waldorf M

Waldorf M. I mean, reminds in general, form factor, multiple timbres, etc. Sound is incomparable of course and no sequencer.

Ok. Actually Jörg Schaaf, the head behind the Rave-o-Lution has founded a new company called Radikal Technology and created some interesting stuff, like the Spectralis, a groovebox which had an analog fixed filterbank. Or the Accelerator, a synth with gyroscope modulation long before Teenage Engineering or Nintendo even started to think about using it

Check out his Delta CEP-A. It’s awesome!
Oh and btw. Jörg was doing concerts together with Klaus „Tangerine Dream“ Schulze in his younger days. But he never worked for or with Waldorf.

5 Likes

Well
s/h prices for a Waldorf Microwave 

2199€

And Blofeld is great, but there is a bigger difference in pressure, brilliance and sharpness

Compatibility has nothing to do with it.
Can do that and make a modern multi mode at the same time.

One could argue that a non destructive multi mode would even assist in compatibility, as the multis wouldn’t just be links to the original patches, but copies of them, like every other synth company does, at this point.

1 Like

I liked the Blofeld too, but somewhere along the line after all my Pulses, uQ, Attack, etc. I just lost the will to matrix program like that. It’s a good interface, and well executed, but with the Blofeld in particular, I just wasn’t feeling it. The sound was definitely there though. Made me miss my XTs and Q after a while.

The Hydra gets the perfect mix of physical controls with shallow menus from button presses IMO when a full knobby interface isn’t available. (Plus all the dedicated displays.) or maybe the Solaris in that regard.

The M looks tip-top as well now.

2 Likes

I never got into the uQ sound, but the Iridium one. They nailed the sound with that one. I bought and sold Blofeld and Blofeld Keys 4 times
 :grimacing:

2 Likes

if i’m not mistaken, i’m pretty sure the sort of evolving texture synth sound you hear at the beginning of Just Like You Imagined is XT, and the percussive pattern at the beginning of Into the Void is a guitar through an XT.

3 Likes

I would definitely bet on that. :slight_smile:

Especially Just Like You Imagined. Void almost definitely, but it also has a touch of that early Emax sound too. Funny thing is , those old samplers also had SSM and CEM filters over digital like the Wave and uWave.

Could probably get similar results from either.

2 Likes

The Waldorf M site says, that it has a PPG 2.3 Soundset included, so my educated guess is that it will be capable of PPG type of sounds.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t replace my Irdium with this. The granular synth is just too special.

1 Like

$2500 in the US
 I LOVE this thing, but that is pricey for a module.

Good
 But still want to hear demos
I kinda get that PPG sound and find it very useful in actual music

1 Like

Shame Waldorf don’t let their machines loose with the likes of Loopop/Ricky Tinez etc for proper in depth/honest reviews and sound demo’s

Behringer PPG clone is incoming too

Loopop did this one: Waldorf IRIDIUM: Review and full tutorial (applicable to Quantum too) - YouTube

3 Likes

Avoid buying B stuff since last +20 years.

4 Likes

And Nick B. did this one. He really seems to like the Iridium

3 Likes

hooray for aliasing! Some gritty stuff in there

1 Like

Yeah I have to admit that I am starting to feel pretty sold on the M
 would be my one spendy poly. I think I need to let it sit in my mind for a while make sure it isn’t me just being hyped for a new product.

2 Likes

Ricky would just mostly misunderstand what the machine does and say “yooooo” a lot.

7 Likes