Waldorf M

the melodic metal perc in “pipeline” is one of my favourite sounds ever

1 Like

Wavetable bass sounds not bad either

2 Likes

If I understood the manual correct, it is just like the mod wheel (or other midi controller as source) is controlling the depth of modulation, identical to the Moog implementation for modulation depth via mod wheel.

Sidechain modulation-input (called MOD CTR): Allows you to cross-modulate two modulation modules. This way you can control the effect of the source by using different mod control sources.

Maybe, not sure if it’s sparse or well picked.
Ctlr A-D/W-D are 8 more Midi controller inputs?

It was written with a sense of humour, too.

Although we can hardly
believe it, M might not be
enough for some people, so
we added an elegant way to
control external sound modules
with M: just connect the DIN MIDI out…

The glossary section also contains a description of a second external filter type to help M users but it does require a kettle for best results. :smile:

6 Likes

I’m personally not into the Waldorf sound but I love the look of this product, it strikes me as a real-life version of a render that a company might create to advertise a VST. Looks futuristic yet retro at the same time.

This Synth has my attention. The format, design, GUI and from what I’ve heard in the demo’s it can sound nice, at least the sound I am looking for. But the Korg Wavestate is al lot cheaper and has other advantages and sounds good as well. But the M has nog keys, which I do not need.

What is better a synth? One that does look and feels really nice but cost quite a lot or a synth that is cheap and feels like that but does what it does, sounds good and you can do a lot of stuff with it.
I know it depends on what you want and can spend on an instrument.
But it’s also important that an instrument gives you some kind of pleasure to play with, is it?
It’s not only sound, but the way te knobs feel, the layout, GUI etc. it’s all part of it.
Sometimes a good feel and simplicity is more rewarding in terms of creativity/pleasure.

I do not make music just for the sake of achieving particular results. A lot of time spending making music is just for having fun, interacting with technical stuff that’s keeps the dopamine in my brain at certain level. Yes, it’s some kind of addiction, but I can put it aside as well. But when I have the urge, it needs to feel good. Sometimes it’s just about taking one instrument and spending some time just jamming. Sometimes it’s about picking a couple of instruments and really writing some songs (at least that’s what I am trying) but there needs to be some kind of ‘chemical reaction’ between myself and the instrument(s) that I play. It’s the pleasure that counts at first, then the creativity comes with it, at least that’s my experience…

3 Likes

Their animations are always top notch. I wonder who makes them.

2 Likes

Defo pricey, but… it’s made in Germany (not saying that’s better or worse, it just is what it is). With Moog’s recent price hikes I can’t see this price dropping anytime soon. It’s very nice though. I bet it sounds better in person, wavetables always lose me a bit on YouTube.

4 Likes

Some customized presets from some video fx software, i forgot the name.

1 Like

Anyone of them :

Adobe After Effects

Apple Motion

Hitfilm Pro

Wondershare FilmoraPro

Blackmagic Fusion

Corel VideoStudio

CyberLink PowerDirector

i cannot help myself but this M looks ugly, ugly in a way so that i like it

it looks raw and industrial by design and maybe the sounds are just like that… it has many outputs - not bad at all

it doesn’t bother me that this thing has no fx

so the TAKE 5 has THIS sound i don’t like and this Nymphe is … ahhh yes … ok

the M looks like a mind-bender and hopefully sounds like that

could be a gift for my 45th birthday next year in January

7 Likes

some neat patches in here… some of them remind me of C64 sounds but with extra :drooling_face:

14 Likes

My 45th is in February, you’ll get yours first :smiley:

3 Likes

That sounds like EXACTLY what I need. Definitely some SID style sounds in there. Makes sense, as the SID was phase accumulator oscillators with lookup tables plus an analog filter. This sounds like Ultra-Mega-SID++. It even has those buzzy combined wave sorts of sounds. I’m thoroughly impressed, being the chip-nerd and Waldorf nerd that I am.

2 Likes

Wondering if it’s capable of PPG type of sounds… like this

3 Likes

Reminds me a little this one

1 Like

Which one? The PPG Video or the M video by Anthony Rother in which he showcases his factory presets?

Took a look in the manual.
Waldorf multi mode still living in the past.

There are bitimbral synths that coat 1/5th the price that manage to get this right, but Waldorf can’t be bothered.

-sad former Microwave XT owner.

8 Likes

My educated guess…they wanted to keep it compatible with Microwave presets?