Waldorf M

afaik AFB-16 was an attempt to leverage the 16 analogue filters from the Q+ to spin up a new revenue line; whilst also driving the development of

AFB-16 was quite unique, the world’s first “analog plug-in”, ~20 years before Overbridge was ever released. Some of that tech / know how might have ended up with Access / Virus TI; as I believe Waldorf and Access were basically next to each other in those days.

Also was a pricey product? And always was going to be a niche one; I liked the ROT Analog Filter Step Sequencer, but even back then; I played with one at Messe; I would have gone for a Sherman or Mutator, or modular for that.

Of course, might have just made that all up…

I need this sitting on the right side of my Hydrasynth Deluxe (when they’re both shipping…)

2 Likes

Afaik they’ll present the Super 6 Desktop.

1 Like

yeah those are ancient and were kinda succeessful for them at the time. weren’t a ton of midi filterbanks around.
they released a 2 pole vresion a while back.

https://waldorfmusic.com/en/hardware-archive/2-pole-archive/2-pole-overview

1 Like

I always quietly regret not getting one of those.

1 Like

I am SUPER excited about this new M!!! I wish there was a keyboard version…

Waldorf 4-Pole/ MiniWorks; there are two different versions (SEM vs Ladder) identified by the power supply (9v vs 12v); used to own one. Kind of cute. Bit of a pain to operate, matrix, preferred Sherman & MFC-42 back in those days. Awkward shape. Also how the artist Pole got his sound…

There was also the rack mount X-Pole not too many of those around; but you’re probably better of with a Sherman, MFC or Ebbe und Flut imho

Adn of course the AFB-16 if no one has seen / heard of it before:

“The AFB16 Analog Filter Bank was the world’s first “analog plug-in”, making it a totally unique innovation. Combining the sonic superiority of Waldorf’s analog technology with the flexibility of a digital musical computer system, the Waldorf AFB16 can be seamlessly integrated into the computer-based production environment of the modern studio.”

2 Likes

Just pair it with a Hydrasynth Explorer.

1 Like

Will be great for trap beats, maybe some lofi just trigger more people lol

:slight_smile:
i dont mind lofi, but triplet high hats all over a track that people think is a ‘new’ sound… yeh … instant block…even worse when they try mumbling over it with processed vocals.

Somehow feel happiness after seeing M. It’s not a monster, not another “maybe later”, feels like just an old friend is back home : )

:heart:

3 Likes

Yes, I would take it over five Wavestates :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, we start talking 20+ Wavestates, things start to change.

(Because I can sell them and buy a few “M”s.

:smiley:

5 Likes

I need FSK

1 Like

That’s exactly how I’m feeling. It’s a perfect blend of all the uWaves, with a touch of modern, a spot of analog (though the Wave and uWave (original) had CEMs). It’s a particular look, sound, etc. that has been absent from my setups for years now. The last I had was an XTk, (which I miss).

The new BIG waldorfs don’t really appeal to me. They’re pretty amazing, but go off in a direction that isn’t really what I look for. I love the focus of the M. I’ve got (will have again shortly) the Hydra for exploration, and modular. The M will be for spinning a few familiar knobs, and getting instant results.

3 Likes

What should I listen to to get a better appreciation of the Waldorf wavetables?

The same money will buy me an M or a HSK and a Modwave. That disconnect suggests that the wavetables must be amazing.

1 Like

Yup, but I was talking about small details like the graphic representation of the signal flow for the mod matrix in the display. Or that the envelopes are loopable.
This synth is like a McLaren P1.

I’m not sure I’m the best representative, but I can probably dig a few things up that I made with them.

Trent Reznor used to have some of the shadow edition XTs, so I’m sure it’s all over some of his music. I’ll have to think about some others. (Picking up kids from school right now :smiley: )

There is a definite sonic difference between the “Waves” and Hydra, and I absolutely love both.

5 Likes

The microwave mk1 demos would give good you a good feel as that one actually used similar filter chips to the M (and the original PPG) where as the mw2 and mwxt were all digital.

3 Likes

Pretty same situation here, and yes, hope to get me M later (16 voices of course : )

For more extreme wavetable sound design there’s Serum, Hydra, Vital, etc… if needed.

I guess M is much simpler and “softer” but also “warmer” and more a “humanist synth”, somehow its look brings back the desire to do more “musical music”, be more open to “beauty of simplicity” : ) Sorry for my sentiments, probably just memories of spending some time with MW back in the days, was amazing synth for “chill out”, “ambient”, “retro psychedelic” type of music.

And Sidechain modulation sounds really interesting, seems like will bring even more organic into it.

4 Likes

I think it very much is like a vintage tone thing, like the sounds from Depeche Mode and Tangerine Dream on the PPG, it is quite a different sound from modern wavetable synths. I think I have listened to Depeche Mode construction time again that my brain is just wired to love those sounds.

4 Likes