Wanted: How to video sequencing other gear with MD

so there’s very little about how to use the 16 tracks to sequence external gear.

After reading the manual my first question is can you midi in the note to be sequenced rather than turning to dial, or better yet live play/record the sequence in?

I understand this isn’t the best of the Elektron devices for sequencing, but it is the only one I own.

check the midi seqution in the manual…from there is is super easy… connect device via midi. select midi channel on a midi machine… bam…plock the fuck out of your awesome machine

+1 for reading the manual, but I can tell you briefly how I am using my MD for sequencing at the moment.

I use both the MD and a Nord Drum 2 for drums in my music. I simply use the MIDI machines 1-6 (for channels 1 to 6, corresponding to the ND2 channels) and use the step sequencer for triggers. The MIDI machines each have up to 3 notes played at a time, program change, as well as 6 CC’s you can manipulate at a time (though I haven’t done so, I imagine you can P-lock different everything here as you would expect–I usually just P-lock the CC values).

Each MIDI machine corresponds to a MIDI channel–so MIDI machine 01 would send to MIDI channel 1, and so on. I haven’t had a need to, and maybe someone can chime in, but I believe you can have multiple MIDI machines transmitting same channel (so MIDI 01 on multiple tracks) to send more than just 6 CCs.

Hope that helps.

Nope, not like you’d expect.
This would work if you had a bunch of midi machines on a bunch of tracks, all tuned to different midi notes, and configured to respond to the same midi notes.
However, per track, the midi note is a parameter and so not recordable by playing in notes.