What are trigger inputs for?

What are trigger inputs and why are they useful? In a hypothetical scenario, one might be inclined to purchases a Vermona DRM1 MKIV drum synthesizer. For an extra $100, there is a version that includes trigger inputs. If you were to talk this person into the version with trigger inputs, what would you say?

Iā€˜d be like ā€žget that one. For only $100 more you get trigger inputs with it!ā€

ā€¦

:wink:

3 Likes

Trigger inputs are useful if wanting to use it with gear with trigger outs, like modular and other hardware sequencers, or piezo drum pads.

If you donā€™t need them donā€™t bother, but if you do, do.

3 Likes

I would be like ā€œhey person! you should read the manual before deciding whether you need trigger inputsā€

And then I wouldnā€™t really make them read the manualā€¦ I would likely proceed to quoting the manual to make the decision easier:

Trigger Inputs (optional)

The DRM1 MKIV is available with optional trigger inputs. If your DRM1 MKIV sports the trigger-in option, please carry on reading.

The ten trigger inputs allow triggering the instrument channels of your DRM1 MKIV from a (usually analog) trigger sequencer.

The DRM accepts trigger signals between approx. 0.5V and 11V with a minimum duration of 10 ms. The instrument channels HI HAT 1 and HI HAT 2 both sport two trigger inputs ā€“ for open and closed hi-hat.

MIDI as well as analog triggers can be used simultaneously.

The analog trigger inputs can process dynamic triggers. That means, the incoming trigger levels control the level of the sounds generated by the DRM1 MKIV.

At the same time, the trigger signals
will be converted into MIDI note commands and velocity data, and transmitted via the MIDI Out socket and USB port

6 Likes

@lowph gets the award for the most condescending answer! Jokes on him, though. Person got him to look up the manual for him.

In all seriousness, I was just hoping for a friendly and generalized explanation of trigger inputs. Iā€™ve seen them on bits of gear here and there and have casually wondered.

3 Likes

And didnā€™t you get exactly that from @lowph ā€¦?

1 Like

Nah, I got attitude and a RTFM lecture on a instrument that I donā€™t own. No worries though. Just for reference on what a helpful answer looks like, check out @darenager above.

3 Likes

Some gear has trigger inputs that work in a really cool way, eg the SH101. It will advance one step in the sequencer for each trigger it recieves at the trigger input.

Some gear like modular, has trigger inputs for things like envelopes, meaning you can trigger them independently of note triggers and get all kinds of funky stuff happening.

For a drum machine, its really just going to trigger that voice, on that hit for example. We do the same thing with midi.

As said, if you dont have any gear with trigger outputs, you dont need it. Having said that, if I was going to buy a DRM, id want the full monty.

4 Likes

Generally speaking Triggers are a slow pulse waveform and when the waveform hits the top of the threshold it sends out a signal (like a click) and it tells the input to ā€œgoā€ if you sent a trigger output to a trigger input it will sent a ā€œgoā€ signal to make it trigger

Some instances could be:

Upon trigger input the envelope starts
Upon trigger input it opens up the filter
Upon trigger input it triggers the drum module to start
Upon trigger input it starts the sequencer

Etc etc

Where as a gate signal (similarly) would ā€œopenā€ the gate (like a pulse wave with a different width)

I donā€™t know if thatā€™s a good explanation Iā€™m better at understanding things and applying them than explaining how it works

The analog rytm and analog four can send triggers which can be used for envelopes and drum modules etc

1 Like

I didnā€™t give any attitude. I donā€™t own it either, but the manual is on the internet and itā€™s free!

Sorry if it seemed condescending. I hope you can now make an informed decision. Good luck out there!

1 Like

Appreciate the info, @Microtribe and @Matthewsavant. It was helpful!

With the difference that trigger inputs most of the time arenā€˜t dynamic/velocity sensitivity. Although some drum machines and some modules do have dynamic trigger ins (higher voltage=more velocity). DRM1 Mk4 offers velocity via midi and trigger inputs. The Mk3 has only midi velocity IIRC.

I really like this feature. Ensoniq Mirageā€™s very basic built-in sequencer does this too. And since its sequencer can have a few patterns in memory & stored to disk, it can be fun for live performance.

Itā€™s a nice way to enter the notes you want, but have their rhythm remain undetermined/TBD.

Now that I think about it, itā€™s really pretty hard to replicate this when itā€™s not specifically supported.

JP-8000 mimicked this behavior over MIDI or local keys. It allowing incoming notes or the lower keyboard split to act as trigger. So you could hold keys on the right split but play their rhythm with the left, or send incoming notes on like channel 11 to trigger the keys youā€™re actually holding. (donā€™t quote me on that)

Oberheim Matrix-6/6R also has a trigger input that conventionally would be used for a sustain pedal, but can also be used to reset envelopes & LFOs, as mentioned above by @matthewsavant and @Microtribe et al