What Are You Power Watching During COVID-19?

Through the first two episodes I have very much enjoyed the LOTR series. I feel like they’ve kept the best parts of the production design and overall tone from the Jackson films; the individual story lines are all compelling, with little extraneous exposition; it’s really well-cast, well-acted and directed; there are a lot of great, humorous moments.

I also warmed up the Sandman as it went along. Still definitely scratching my head at some of the narrative swaps and choices, but a couple of the episodes really nailed it. I thought the Sound of Her Wings captured Death perfectly. In general, I think the casting is excellent, and most of the acting is very good too.

1 Like

I don’t know if you’re in the UK, but the video that claims the “Honest reviews are savage” starts off by quoting the Daily Mail - which is kinda known for its sensational click bait “journalism”, personal attacks, and often criticised for being racist/sexist in its editorial direction.
If one wanted a balanced opinion, there are better choices, and possibly few worse.

It does look like the cast have been subjected to threats/abuse with race being the motivation:

I’m linking to the Grauniad which, of course, has its own opinions but in this case, they’re reporting actions of others rather than that opinion.
I’ve not seen the specifics first hand, I suspect it’s deliberate that it’s not being reported verbatim.
Disagreement doesn’t have to contain abuse - and it looks like it’s more than just disagreement here.

I guess performance/recording is about interpretation.
Shakespeare is widely and differently interpreted
Baz Luhrman’s Romeo + Juliet, Ralph Fiennes’ Coriolanus for example, both of which were well received, had wider departures from the standard interpretations and were praised for them, and for expanding the audience, so it is possible.

I’m very entertained by what I’ve seen, although somewhat puzzled by the use of accents.
I will be watching the rest of the series.

Heike Monogatari/Heike Story was Naoko Yamada’s first major work after leaving Kyoto Animation. I think she succeeded in creating yet another masterpiece.

No plot surprises as it is based on a medieval epic, which in turn is based on a historical power struggle between noble families - the winners eventually producing the first Shogun and the losers being practically wiped out.

2 Likes

I’m current with Rings of Power. Im into it. The writing is rubbish and most of the acting isn’t great (probably from lack of good writing). But it is a very pretty show - vistas are stunning - and its great to be back in that world along with a “Who’s gonna be who?” mystery element to it.

1 Like

I’ve also been watching ROP, with similar reactions.

Lack of attention to detail (fight choreography, a character holding a rope on the raft for no practical reason, etc.) s grating but the background visuals are awesome. Lovely how they rendered Numenor, Eregion, etc.

1 Like

Rings of Power: I went in yesterday with low expectations, watched the four current episodes in a row and ended up enjoying it quite a bit!
It’s refreshingly less grim and nihilistic than GOT, but obviously not up to Peter Jackson standards.

The best show I watched this year was The Expanse, which I totally missed when it was running and only recently binged through.

1 Like

I think I’ll see if I can be nominated at next years’ MOBO awards, and if anybody moans about my music being wholly from a white origin (i.e. me), I’ll go public with it and state that they’re being racist. (I have white skin by the way).

Blecch, yeah. Finn not being neutered and pursuing favor Rey (or Poe!) plotlines would’ve at least made the reboot more interesting for me. Not in a “forced” sense like the babymen were claiming but the Empire are literal fascists, it would’ve been a less fluffy plotline. And I guess why Disney scrapped it.

Also lol yeah the backlash to Rings of Power is super “die mad” territory, surface level stuff like dwarf ladies not having enough facial hair I can laugh at but ignoring actual references to skin color and claiming that every “good” race in middle-earth is white is some 1800s eugenics shit.

A large number of vloggers make their living off of incelbait content like that, more interested in phony outrage and stunts than enjoying any media (especially the original source in every case.)

Take it to Reddit.

2 Likes

My girlfriend and I started Deep Space 9 shortly before Covid upended the world and finished a year or so later. What an immensely enjoyable and comforting show… I still miss seeing my homies Quark and Garak every night. I wanted to start on Voyager but my lady wasn’t having it!

I couldn’t stand RoP. Had no wattage whatsoever. Feels like some lame ass Disney film… and my dislike of the show has nothing to do with race. The segment with Kane and Abel was so cheesy it made me want to vomit all over their dragon’s headstone and the Hobbits were so annoying; they looked like they all ran etsy shops and were off to a Phish concert. The new Star Wars series is rather enjoyable tho but could use a few characters of color. The set design seems Bladrunner inspired and has great sound design as well.

1 Like

That’s the funniest thing about shallow blubbering about how “the white race” isn’t the only existence for a medieval fantasy world.

Projecting their disinterest in whether the property is any good over the presence of actors that don’t look like them.

1 Like

To be honest… I can’t figure people out but if you don’t like certain things these days some people just lump you in with those who don’t like whatever it is based on a hateful point of view or whatever. I simple thought the show was crap and hope to be judged on my own negative opinion and not the negative opinions of some yokels on reddit who smoke church wardens while wearing cloaks they bought on etsy that aren’t even spun from the sort of yarn commonly used on middle earth.

1 Like

It’s shameful. It’s well known how the socials manipulate our emotions to keep us on their platforms by encouraging hate, yet so many people willfully fuel the rage.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Facebook papers are a great set of documents on how inciting and actively amplifying anger empirically fuels “engagement” (and thus ad impressions.)

Hooray for Industrial Psychology!

1 Like

I need to watch more anime. To date, I’ve seen only 1 anime.

Any time I try to venture out, I remember how much I love Steins;Gate and go watch that instead

Which one was that?

Edit: just read your complete sentence :laughing:

If we are starting slow, my definite must watch is Akira… a bonafide cult classic.

But there’s so much great anime out there

2 Likes

I hope you’re aware of the weight of your suggestion.

I will watch Akira to completion, but if I’m not moved- I will forever equate anime with Steins;Gate and nothing else

Lol!

ultra sample worthy

2 Likes

I will not be deterred, even though you have placed the burden of Atlas upon me…

Watch Akira, come back and praise it’s awesomeness and we’ll continue talking about where to go next… I sound confident, but I’m not :laughing:

1 Like

I’m really enjoying Andor so far. I think it’s my fav. of the Star Wars shows so far a nudge above the Obi Wan mini series. It’s easy going entertainment which doesn’t try to pander to every box tick of wokeness but also manages to feel inclusive, at least to me…

1 Like

Very Beaucoup Fish!

1 Like