What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

Every morning before breakfast.

4 Likes

Some inspiration for my production. A great book written by Steve Goodman aka Kode9.

4 Likes

I could do with a new copy. Mine are dark yellow and ready to fall apart.

Tanith Lee also paid some homage to Jack Vance for her Tales of the flat Earth series, and contributed a short story to the collection published in his honour.

Just looked this up, sounds cool, added to list

1 Like

Principles by Ray Dalio

A bit pedestrian by the standards of some of the reading here, but just finishing book 5/10 of Last Kingdom (Bernard Cornwell).
Sometime you just want a long, easy roller with some blood, guts and betrayal.

Currently reading Bruce Sterling’s Heavy Weather, recently finished Islands in the Net. Next up is Temple To The Wind.

And there is always Borges if I need to warp my mind with a short story.

1 Like

I’ve also read all Murakami novels, such a joy to read. So towards your question:

I second The Burried Giant, beautiful book.

Also, to you or to anyone here: Remainder, by Tom McCarthy. Incredible book!

Currently reading the new Murakami short stories, First Person Singular. First few were really nice.

1 Like

Hadn’t heard of this, will add it to the list, thank you!

Aha I am also reading this. Didn’t realise it was new though - the Kindle has adverts on the lock screen, unless you pay extra to remove them, they used to always be for trashy romance books but recently they’ve become pretty well targeted and actually useful - so I saw this on there and started reading it the other day. Also enjoying it. Just love his style.

2 Likes

when you gaze into the abyss, do not forget the whip!

I decided to re-read James Dickey’s To The White Sea. He’s better known as the author of Deliverance. I like this book better though, read it over a decade ago but it’s very similar to Cormac McCarthy in tone, if not in style. It’s about an american airplane gunner shot down in Japan during WW2, who decides to journey to the far north of Japan to die in the mountains. Very bleak, nihilistic and brutal book, but poetic and beautiful in it’s prose. Highly recommended if you, like me, love a good downer story.

2 Likes

I reread Beyond Good and Evil and Zarathustra recently, been about 35 years. Much more clear this time! But even when misunderstood he’s worth reading. He’s fun too.

2 Likes

Fun indeed! Quite unlike the Klaus Kinski-esque type of character he’s often portrayed as.

2 Likes

Ha! I’m the opposite; I love PKD more for the psychological stuff than the sci-fi. Valis and Radio Free Albemuth are both astonishing.

2 Likes

Yeah. Nietzsche’s fun when you realise it’s not about being right. It’s enjoyably demented, sometimes very wise, sometimes misanthropic or bigoted. Take the good and ignore the bad, just like the Old Testament or w/e.

1 Like

The truth. But let’s be honest, the huge mustache pictures don’t help.

Indeed. But it says something that his students absolutely adored him despite the moustache.

1 Like

2 Likes

I probably can’t finish it this weekend, but I’m binge-reading Neal Stephenson’s latest, Termination Shock. So far, it seems better than Fall. This may motivate me to finish up Gibson’s Peripheral and start in on Agency, but for some reason or another I’m not as into dystopian fiction as I once was.

Before Termination droped, I was about half way through Making Beats, which is filling in a lot of very important gaps in my Hip Hop & culture of beat making knowledge.

1 Like